Author Topic: Beer!  (Read 87334 times)

ian

Re: Beer!
« Reply #350 on: 26 June, 2017, 09:36:36 pm »
Hazy Jane was nice for those who like their IPAs murky (and I like mine filthy and dank). Tasted even better because it was free.

So I see the free Vermont IPA we were supposed to receive has morphed into Hazy Jane. The cynic in me says it was supposed to be Vermont but it went wrong so they rebadged it.  :-\

Says New England IPA and I don't think Vermont qualifies as New England.
Officially it does. The US Census Bureau, assorted other official bodies such as the regional tourist board, the Bureau of Economic Analysis, etc. all include it in New England.

New England seems to be unusual among multi-state US regions in that it is the same in all the different official US classification systems.

I don't think Vermonters would agree but they'd do so in a mildly hippyish fashion. New Hampshire definitely not, but they demand to live free or die, though when it comes down to it I suspect they're more amenable to negotiation. Maine, no one is sure about, it's the bit up north that doesn't have any roads and might actually be Canada.

As for NE proper, there's Rhode Island, which while claiming size isn't important, worries about it a lot; Connecticut thinks it is New England and everyone else is pretending; and Massachusetts no one likes.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #351 on: 03 July, 2017, 08:51:17 pm »
Hazy Jane was nice for those who like their IPAs murky (and I like mine filthy and dank). Tasted even better because it was free.

I picked mine up this afternoon  :P

« Reply #352 on: 06 July, 2017, 10:59:42 pm »
Currently, one is slurping of a Kernow Imperial Stout, at a mere £3 a pint.
Truly excellent, even at the £4 is cost at the White Bear last week

« Reply #353 on: 07 July, 2017, 08:49:41 am »
Mad Hatter's Orange & Basil. Sour IPA. Amazeballs, as they say.

Also, I can't remember what it was called but I had a sour with honey the other day. That was rather good - it was from a Canadian brewery, which is a shame. As in, where am I gonna find it, rather than it's a shame that Canadians made it.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #354 on: 07 July, 2017, 12:28:14 pm »
sat in Kristiansand airport with a bottle of Nogne O IPA, with those O's with a line through that someone with the name Neilson should be able to pronounce.

Anyway, a nice, 7.5% murky IPA, piney, bitter-sweet grapefruitiness and a lingering toasty bitter aftertaste.

Last time I went through Stavanger I bought a bottle of their ten year celebration IPA at 10%.  I wasn't man enough to drink it on my own so shared it with my dad.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #355 on: 08 July, 2017, 05:17:12 pm »
It may interest some here that Guiness has  brewed an 8% beer for John Martin ( beer genius from Belgium - well actually the original founder was English, now in the hands of the 3rd generation) for many years.
This excellent beer is now being sold in the U.K. By Guiness themselves as Antwerpen. I recommend it to you! Quite rightly it acknowledges John Martin on the label.
If you like it you may want to look into Anthony Martin - the current head of the company, and his range of beers. I like the Gordon's Titanium which is double figures strength!
He is also a stand-out example of how to run a socially responsible company successfully..

ian

« Reply #356 on: 08 July, 2017, 08:27:44 pm »
I came home to find a Magic Rock 'care package' was waiting on the porch steps. Some good stuff in there (I helped someone out with a report and it turned out they live near the brewery, so when they asked how they could thank me...)

Sadly, it's warm from sitting there all day, so I'll find something else to drink while it chills. A Chorlton Mandarina lager. More of a keller beer I'd say, but it's hitting the spot after a day of random cycling.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #357 on: 20 July, 2017, 08:01:30 pm »
Waitrose are currently selling Broadside for £1.35 a bottle. Cheers!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #358 on: 20 July, 2017, 11:59:34 pm »

Better from the bottle than the draft in my experience
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #359 on: 21 July, 2017, 01:35:59 pm »
Just looking for my most localest brewery and it turns out to be Park Brewery. http://www.theparkbrewery.com/our-beers/

Anyone had any of their beers? Looks like its not open apart from open days which is a shame- both Wimbledon Brewery and By the Horns are generally open and in fact have taps for the drinking of beer in!

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #360 on: 06 August, 2017, 08:26:22 pm »
De Dochter van de Korenaar Bravoure. Smokey beer FTW  :P :)

« Reply #361 on: 07 August, 2017, 07:16:03 am »
I used to love beer with the passion of a Bavarian in the desert. But lattely i've given up on trying to find a good pub or bar that has good beer. Maybe my sense of taste has changed, but when I go to a bar like the Beer House I already know that the beer wil ltaste like metal with piss. Excuse my language.
The only decent kind of beer I've had was in a little German town I visited on a business trip. The place is called Radeberg, they have thrir own brewery, and it is actually decent. But i can't, naturally, get their beer anytime. I would.

ian

« Reply #362 on: 08 August, 2017, 06:37:53 pm »
There's a zillion tap rooms and craft beer bars in London now so I don't know what you're drinking. German beer is OK but I find mostly a bit unexciting. I remember drinking far too much Radeberger Pils on a boat-hotel back in Prague many, many years ago when it cost about 30p a bottle. Actually, I don't remember it too well.

Hit the London Craft Beer festival over the weekend which was nice – unlike most, the beers are served in generous taster portions so you can try more without getting too drunk. Cloudwater, Verdant, Wild Beer, Weird Beard, Brewdog, Siren, Põhjala, Northern Monk, Wiper and True, Moor, Fourpure, Burning Sky, and oh, I lose track. Hard to choose a favourite, though you can't go wrong with a Cloudwater DIPA, and the two new Verdant IPAs were also lush. I did like the Põhjala rye sour though, unusual and complex and a change from the usual hop onslaught.

Off to the French Riviera tomorrow – I'm not overly optimistic from my Googling that I won't be taking the Kronenbourg purge. It'll probably taste better in the sun.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #363 on: 09 August, 2017, 05:03:01 am »
Had a beer canned for me this evening.

Not seen that before. We were in a brew house and tasting beers when i noticed a customer had a pint sized shiny tin with nothing on  it apart from some Sharpie writing. I asked and the bar person said they would can any beer that wasn't available on the shelves.

So I chose one that wasn't on the shelves and took it home in a tin.

Marvellous.
It is simpler than it looks.

ian

« Reply #364 on: 15 August, 2017, 06:26:51 pm »
Huzzah, we found the only craft beer bar in Nice, which was nice after taking the Kronenbourg purge. Twelve taps, some French brews, along with Cloudwater, Northern Monk, and Tiny Rebel (and there can be few things as refreshing as a pint – an actual pint, none of that 50 cl crap – of Clwb Tropicana after a long, hot day hiking in the hills, followed by a splash in the sea – and I needed extra sustenance because I got chased by a jellyfish).

« Reply #365 on: 15 August, 2017, 07:14:51 pm »
I had a pint of Clwb Tropicana in the Vocation brewery bar in Hebden bridge last weekend. That was after a 2/3 of Vocations Pride and Joy.

Now I find myself sipping a can of Vocation Life and Death in my campervan in Dorset. I bought it in Tesco in Dorchester for £1
80 (the only Tesco that looks like the rail gatehouse to Auschwitz but with fountains)

Its a funny old world. So much good beer at such reasonable prices. But nothing, and I mean nothing, beats a 1/3  of Cloudwater dipa from the taproom.

ian

« Reply #366 on: 29 August, 2017, 11:46:06 am »
A quick third in Bottleshop on Sunday (ok two, a cherry sour from Redchurch and the rather excellent Wiper & True Hard Shake) led to Anspach & Hobday, and then, well, Brew by Numbers happened to be open. Then they were having a little beer festival at Spit & Sawdust and we happened to be walking past. Which might have explained how we came to be sitting outside Bullfinch at 10pm drinking a jelly and ice cream pale ale. Sunday lunchtime drinking, don't do it kids.

Laughing at Twitter gripes about The Rake selling £13.40 pints. Those are pints of Cloudwater DIPA, I'm not sure it's exactly reasonable to compare with a pint of Fosters (and at 9%, I don't think you're suppose to knock it back by the pint).

« Reply #367 on: 29 August, 2017, 01:37:26 pm »
I suppose there's a degree of old fogeydom going on there; intellectually I know inflation is a thing, but somehow it's still a surprise when there's no change from £20 for a round of drinks...

ian

« Reply #368 on: 29 August, 2017, 03:38:38 pm »
A distributer worked out the costs – the pub's gross profit for a keg (30 litre) was in the order of £22. Double IPAs aren't cheap to make and small breweries don't have the benefits of scale and these are small volume brews. No one is making a lot of money out them. A bit silly to compare with a pint of cooking lager. You're more likely to drink a double IPA by the third (indeed, they won't serve you a pint at that ABV).

If people want 'cheap' lager (which isn't even that cheap, and unlike Cloudwater doesn't taste nice), there's no shortage of venues. Personally, as I'm not trying to get drunk, I'd rather pay for quality than volume, though I suppose the latter says something the British attitude to alcohol.

« Reply #369 on: 30 August, 2017, 05:19:37 pm »
I was in Brugge on Sunday. That is all.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #370 on: 30 August, 2017, 05:21:46 pm »
I used to love beer with the passion of a Bavarian in the desert. But lattely i've given up on trying to find a good pub or bar that has good beer. Maybe my sense of taste has changed, but when I go to a bar like the Beer House I already know that the beer wil ltaste like metal with piss. Excuse my language.
The only decent kind of beer I've had was in a little German town I visited on a business trip. The place is called Radeberg, they have thrir own brewery, and it is actually decent. But i can't, naturally, get their beer anytime. I would.

You should have tried getting a decent pint in the 80s. It's so much better now.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #371 on: 30 August, 2017, 09:04:54 pm »
I was in Brugge on Sunday. That is all.
Visit Kemelstraat?

« Reply #372 on: 30 August, 2017, 09:18:29 pm »

Booths ( the northern Waitrose) had Sole Bay on offer at £7 for 8 bottles.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #373 on: 09 September, 2017, 04:08:13 pm »

ian

« Reply #374 on: 09 September, 2017, 07:57:30 pm »
I have the evening to myself and I have spent the day beer foraging. It's going to be mayhem at the Asbestos Palace. I swear Little Monster Cat walked past earlier wearing a helmet. I do seem to have neglected to buy any food on my travels. Oh well, I'm kicking off with a Cloudwater-Other Half NYC Collab - ™Life. Very nom. Cool can too.

The other night I had a £20 pint (well, a third of it).