Author Topic: [HAMR] womens record attempt - Kajsa Tylen Jan 1st start  (Read 148265 times)

Re: womens record
« Reply #200 on: 13 January, 2016, 06:02:55 pm »
Well done

« Reply #201 on: 13 January, 2016, 09:23:31 pm »
Yay ! Well done Kasja !

But don't look at the weather forecast for tomorrow in these parts.......
Old fat and slow

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #202 on: 13 January, 2016, 09:31:22 pm »
She has reduced her target for tomorrow to 100k.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #203 on: 13 January, 2016, 09:32:18 pm »
OK.  Will somehow tell me how to pronounce Kasja. 
 :-[
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #204 on: 13 January, 2016, 09:33:24 pm »
It's kajsa and approximately key-sa  :)
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #205 on: 13 January, 2016, 09:45:06 pm »
OK.  Will somehow tell me how to pronounce Kasja. 
 :-[

I can tell you how to spell it.  :P

Kajsa!

« Reply #206 on: 13 January, 2016, 09:47:03 pm »
On her day 4 video, her mother says her name just after 1m50s in, or about 15 seconds from the end.
https://www.facebook.com/ayearinthesaddle/videos/993766794029369/?theater

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #207 on: 13 January, 2016, 09:51:34 pm »
*smug mode!*

I discussed the pronunciation of her name with my son last week. He has learned a bit of Swedish, living, as he does, with a Swedish Finn. I suggested Kizer, to rhyme with Tizer, and he thought it might be something else.

Lars

• n.b. have shaved off beard since photo taken
« Reply #208 on: 13 January, 2016, 09:52:37 pm »
It's kajsa and approximately key-sa  :)

In Swedish Kajsa is a rather uncommon female name. Pronouncing it "kaj" becomes one syllable and "sa" a second.

"kaj" is like "kay" is pronounced in "kayak": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_V0HDw7t7U

"sa" is like " "su" is pronounced in "sun": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9obV-qH6Ndk

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #209 on: 14 January, 2016, 09:37:03 am »
I have a Swedish friend called Kajsa, so I have known for many years how to say it. Na-na-ner-na-na.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #210 on: 14 January, 2016, 11:42:33 am »
It looks like an out-and-back today. She's only (!) planning 100k today, because the forecast is bad. Very sensible. It will be warm and sunny later.

« Reply #211 on: 14 January, 2016, 11:45:03 am »
Maybe if the weather isn't as bad as she thought (and it's not great, but not pouring down) she'll push on that little bit. We'll see.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #212 on: 14 January, 2016, 11:49:59 am »
Yes, I suppose if she finishes in the dry and there's still some daylight, a 20k loop will help for later. As I see it, it's not a speed/time thing for the women's record - at Kajsa's 12ish mph there are plenty of hours in the day. It's a question of dogged determination. There are probably people on here who could, if they felt so inclined, take the current women's record on a 5-day week.

« Reply #213 on: 14 January, 2016, 12:08:53 pm »
I really wish people would stop going on about how (sorry to pick on you, Wow)
There are probably people on here who could, if they felt so inclined, take the current women's record on a 5-day week.
Billie Flemming's had the record for umpteen years and none of these o-so-capable women have stepped up.

Kajsa is the first woman who's put her head up above the parapet and said 'right, I'm going to devote a year of my life to this'

That's a much bigger deal than 'feeling inclined'. You've got to be in it to win it, and she's the only woman who's done that. Good on her.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #214 on: 14 January, 2016, 12:40:59 pm »
I tend to agree. There is a very big difference between "being able to" and "actually doing".

I hope Kajsa gets through the first couple of months with a decent mileage total, continues to the end and "actually does get the record".
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #215 on: 14 January, 2016, 01:19:05 pm »
I really wish people would stop going on about how (sorry to pick on you, Wow)
There are probably people on here who could, if they felt so inclined, take the current women's record on a 5-day week.
Billie Flemming's had the record for umpteen years and none of these o-so-capable women have stepped up.

Kajsa is the first woman who's put her head up above the parapet and said 'right, I'm going to devote a year of my life to this'

That's a much bigger deal than 'feeling inclined'. You've got to be in it to win it, and she's the only woman who's done that. Good on her.

OK, poor choice of words possibly, but I'm struggling to find a better one. Expressions like "have the cojones", "tough enough", "determined enough" I think would be inappropriate or implicitly denigrate some of the rock-hard female cyclists who achieve remarkable things on two wheels but whose inclinations in cycling lie elsewhere. There is no question that Kajsa is taking on a massive challenge, but I think hers, compared to Steve's, for example, is tilted slightly more towards the psychological and less towards the physical.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #216 on: 14 January, 2016, 02:54:15 pm »
"if they put the ironing down" maybe?
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #217 on: 14 January, 2016, 03:33:52 pm »
Seems she stuck to her plan of a "short" day.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #218 on: 14 January, 2016, 03:35:43 pm »
She's built a decent total so far in pretty grim weather, and avoiding flooded roads.  A short day in the fierce, cold wind seems reasonable.
Getting there...

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #219 on: 14 January, 2016, 04:14:05 pm »
"if they put the ironing down" maybe?

You are a Bad Man!! ;D

« Reply #220 on: 14 January, 2016, 04:22:53 pm »
I think she is amazing and, I agree, there are very few woman who would want to have a go at the record that I know of.  She is in it, to win it, because she is brave, committed and prepared to donate a whole entire year of her life to it.   

I have no doubt physically any of the big hitting audax ladies on here could have a shot at the record....and we would no doubt be smashed into oblivion if one of the top endurance females like Emily Chappell, Lee Craigie or Alicia decided to have a go. But would any of them want to?  I know for certain I'd not loose a precious year of my life, time spent with the ones I love, time spent climbing hills with big vistas and space in Wales, time working to make ends meet.  I'd not sacrifice that to ride around flat roads for a year, even if I did have a chance of breaking a record.  I am not that focussed, and no doubt, neither are many other ladies here. The top pro riders, the strong riders, they all have other records to take, competitions to win, sponsorship deals to fulfil - have they got the time or focus to do this?

Kasja, on the other hand, is focussed, has a good game plan, has clearly thought out what she wants to do, is doing it for the bigger picture and, quite frankly, seems like a lovely person.  I really hope she gets the record and holds it for a while at least.   
Does not play well with others

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #221 on: 14 January, 2016, 07:44:57 pm »
As I see it, it's not a speed/time thing for the women's record - at Kajsa's 12ish mph there are plenty of hours in the day. It's a question of dogged determination.
Indeed. As 2-word summaries go, that may take some beating.

I wish her good luck and good weather!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #222 on: 15 January, 2016, 10:16:05 am »
Yet another level crossing photo from Kajsa  :)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #223 on: 15 January, 2016, 12:07:23 pm »
But, rabbit, there are intimations that Alicia Searvogel might well do it.
Getting there...

« Reply #224 on: 15 January, 2016, 12:49:02 pm »
But, rabbit, there are intimations that Alicia Searvogel might well do it.
I'll believe that when I see it.
Alicia isn't the mile muncher Kurt is - it's not that long ago she did her first 200km ride.
The first Mrs Searvogel has been minding Kurt's business while he worked on the record, and I'm fairly sure Kurt said he couldn't do that again - so who's going to do her support? Of everyone, they know how much that support is needed.
I suspect he's pulling our legs.