Author Topic: [HAMR] womens record attempt - Kajsa Tylen Jan 1st start  (Read 148409 times)

Re: womens record attempt - Kajsa Tylen Jan 1st start
« Reply #450 on: 14 February, 2016, 04:30:38 pm »
They are all inspiring aren't they. It's a privilege (for me anyway) to have shared the road with Steve (not often but) abd with Kajsa.

for me there is a lot in there about following a dream and the sacrifices they've been prepared to make for it. But also I think with Steve and Kajsa there has been a lot of working out exactly what that dream is, how to define it and know when and if it's been accomplished.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #451 on: 14 February, 2016, 04:58:43 pm »
It was interesting to contrast the various responses on Facebook and Strava to her original question about whether to draft. Almost all the Strava recommendations were to draft - it's all about the miles - and the Facebook ones were to embrace the spirit of her and Billie's original challenge by not drafting. Not surprising perhaps, but a useful reminder of the self-selection of these groups, no single one of which can claim to be representative of cyclists as a whole.
ooh that's an intresting analysis! 

A further data-pointlet; about 90% of opinions expressed on the "YACF - Steve" thread were of the
"its all about the miles" flavour.

(IIRC jo's views were in the 10%, and I'd probably put myself in there too).
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #452 on: 14 February, 2016, 05:37:11 pm »
Steve's story is in its own category of badass!! I'm not sure that's how Kajsa would like to be seen, but she is carving her own niche.
I find it interesting that I am equally inspired by Steve, Kurt and Kajsa. Each of them have different qualities that we can all learn from and admire. Even Bruce (with his pigheadedness) and Miles have all shown aspects of their approaches we can all draw inspiration from, including weaknesses. They've exposed themselves and their vulnerabilities in ways most of us can only imagine.

I am impressed by the honesty shown by Kajsa and I am heartened by her decision. I don't think it is possible to make a "wrong" choice in this context but there is something that sits comfortably in that which she has made.

Chapeau.

Well put.
Embrace your inner Fred.

« Reply #453 on: 14 February, 2016, 05:44:28 pm »
It was interesting to contrast the various responses on Facebook and Strava to her original question about whether to draft. Almost all the Strava recommendations were to draft - it's all about the miles - and the Facebook ones were to embrace the spirit of her and Billie's original challenge by not drafting. Not surprising perhaps, but a useful reminder of the self-selection of these groups, no single one of which can claim to be representative of cyclists as a whole.

A further data-pointlet; about 90% of opinions expressed on the "YACF - Steve" thread were of the

If we agree that, as a fan, you are the purest of the pure will you get over yourself and not besmirch this thread by starting all that nonsense again?
Nuns, no sense of humour

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #454 on: 14 February, 2016, 06:29:26 pm »
I have NFC what you are saying. Suggest you explain a bit more cogently, or drop it.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #455 on: 14 February, 2016, 08:50:07 pm »
I have NFC what you are saying. Suggest you explain a bit more cogently, or drop it.

It's simple, you attacked left, right and centre on the 'Steve' thread and always seemed to set yourself up as the embattled 'true believer'. You've found a comment on this thread that you can utilise to belabour the same sort of point. It's tedious and we get it, repetition isn't helpful and, yes, I'm regretting not ignoring your post as usual.
Nuns, no sense of humour

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #456 on: 14 February, 2016, 09:58:52 pm »
Can someone remind me, please: where can I find Kajsa's tracker?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #457 on: 14 February, 2016, 10:01:16 pm »
It'll probably be attached to her bike.

Oh, I see what you mean.    :D 

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #458 on: 14 February, 2016, 10:02:08 pm »

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #459 on: 14 February, 2016, 10:02:33 pm »

If we agree that, as a fan, you are the purest of the pure will you get over yourself and not besmirch this thread by starting all that nonsense again?
<rewinding a bit ... >

OK; so what's your view on jo's post? 
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #460 on: 14 February, 2016, 10:08:51 pm »

It's simple, you attacked left, right and centre on the 'Steve' thread and always seemed to set yourself up as the embattled 'true believer'. You've found a comment on this thread that you can utilise to belabour the same sort of point. It's tedious and we get it, repetition isn't helpful and, yes, I'm regretting not ignoring your post as usual.

I ignored him a long time ago.  I found his posts to be a particularly offensive mix of arrogance and shit-stirring for the sake of it.  He was at the root of all the nonsense on Steve's thread and I truly hope he doesn't start the same thing here, and I'll never know as long as people don't start quoting him. ;)
The sound of one pannier flapping

C-3PO

• Human-cyborg relations
« Reply #461 on: 14 February, 2016, 10:52:09 pm »
Behave, all of you, or we'll see how well you can post once Chewbacca has ripped your arms off.

« Reply #462 on: 14 February, 2016, 10:53:46 pm »
 ;D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #463 on: 14 February, 2016, 11:54:51 pm »
I suggest a new strategy, R2...

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #464 on: 15 February, 2016, 01:18:42 am »
Behave, all of you, or we'll see how well you can post once Chewbacca has ripped your arms off.

Can we sell tickets?! ;D

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #465 on: 15 February, 2016, 12:21:12 pm »
I particularly like the video updates and also like the openness of the rides in terms of allowing other people to join in.

The feeling of underlying exhaustion must be a worry though and I don't know if there is a fix for that other than taking time off. :-\

H

Chris S

« Reply #466 on: 15 February, 2016, 12:33:49 pm »
I particularly like the video updates and also like the openness of the rides in terms of allowing other people to join in.

The feeling of underlying exhaustion must be a worry though and I don't know if there is a fix for that other than taking time off. :-\

H

She mentioned making an appointment to see a Physio today.

A 10 minute sit in a bath of cold water after every ride would probably help - but it's not exactly pleasant. Someone else already suggested compression leggings.

« Reply #467 on: 16 February, 2016, 07:23:28 am »

H

I think she'll get through it, I think it may be related to recent wind and cold weather. She is quite small and has no weight to her so perhaps more impacted upon by the weather than others might be.

She has lowered her mileage and effort which must be the right way to go and she has time on her side for a break if she wanted one.....She is on track and is likely to increase miles in warmer weather.

Swedish chef....brilliant ;D

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #468 on: 16 February, 2016, 07:36:39 am »
The longest I have ridden (on an Audax) was eight days and what was surprising was how cumulatively exhausted I was. You only really notice that when you are riding with someone else.

It took me at least a month to get over it  :facepalm: Then again, I am about twice Kajsa's age.

H

« Reply #469 on: 16 February, 2016, 08:47:50 am »
She is quite small and has no weight to her so perhaps more impacted upon by the weather than others might be.

We talked about this a bit- and it's very true, she feels the cold (much piss-taking of me and my no-overshoes ways) and because she's not pushing hard it gets to her more than it perhaps otherwise would. She also sometimes struggles to eat enough, she said (I'm so jealous!)

I was dressed for Kajsa-pace when I rode with her, but once I split off and started riding at catch-a-train pace I was way too hot!

I'm looking forward to riding with her again.

« Reply #470 on: 16 February, 2016, 09:31:42 am »
My goal for thid year is to get cycling fit again and do a day's ride with Kajsa.

Properly jelly of you aiming for two rides!
<i>Marmite slave</i>

orraloon

• I'm trying Ringo, I'm trying real hard
« Reply #471 on: 16 February, 2016, 09:43:28 am »
I think that having a second bike lined up would be prudent, but it sounds like Leisure Lakes are being pretty responsive,  so that aspect might be manageable.

And then there was one;  what are we internet watchers to do?

2nd bike more than prudent, essential mayhap.  Kaysa scheduled to be in Sweden and Germany mid year.  Do Leisure Lakes have branches in handy locations in those countries?

« Reply #472 on: 16 February, 2016, 10:27:51 am »
  Do Leisure Lakes have branches in handy locations in those countries?

Nope, 8 stores in the UK only AFAICS.

http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/location
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #473 on: 16 February, 2016, 11:52:55 am »
I'm pretty sure that they do have bike shops in both Sweden and Germany.   

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #474 on: 16 February, 2016, 11:02:57 pm »
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.