Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1752463 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series (plus random E Anglian stuff)
« Reply #8350 on: 24 November, 2015, 06:02:09 pm »
Can you arrange for Chris Hoy to be present so DL can soundly beat him. To make it fairer we'll put DL on a Raleigh Chopper.

« Reply #8351 on: 24 November, 2015, 10:37:34 pm »
Wooohooo

Oscar's dad

« Reply #8352 on: 25 November, 2015, 07:44:34 am »
There maybe some T&Cs attached to the velodrome gig as we have to prove we are insured.  Me and one of our group's Responsible Adults (on this occasion huggy - Tomsk is the other one) are looking into the matter.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #8353 on: 25 November, 2015, 08:35:36 am »
CTC membership as proof of insurance?
Regards,

Joergen

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #8354 on: 25 November, 2015, 08:51:54 am »
Soupy is up for the velodrome too... :thumbsup:

So, tonight: King Billy at 21:00-ish?

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #8355 on: 25 November, 2015, 08:59:43 am »
CTC membership as proof of insurance?
I'm hoping that CTC or BC membership should be sufficient for personal insurance purpose and will be required if you do not already have it, also bring proof of membership along on the day for inspection if asked for.  Affiliated membership with the CTC through Witham Cycling is only £16/year for 3rd party cover, details here, WC CTC affiliation number is 90063203.  This was the declaration I made at the time of applying for the club session and we have been given one so one could assume that to be correct.
Everyone will also need to be a signed up member of Witham Cycling which is just a matter of signing a form and handing to OD.  We'll probably also require participants to sign on to a WC organised event, again just a signature on a led ride form.

There maybe some T&Cs attached to the velodrome gig as we have to prove we are insured.  Me and one of our group's Responsible Adults (on this occasion huggy - Tomsk is the other one) are looking into the matter.
Only 7 pages of them!
There is a tiny clause about '...any applicable Damage Deposit...' which I'm not sure if that will apply to our booking or not, it doesn't state how much that is either.

ETA:
Okay, lots of expressions of interest so far   :thumbsup:
Due to limits of participants to coach ratio we can have up to 15 riders as I understand it, WAGs and other family & friends are welcome in the seats (not the track centre).
May I suggest that if you are interested you please email me at {grant at huggys dot co dot uk} with the subject line of WC Velodrome Jan2016 so I can compile a list and keep track before offering any (unlikely) spare places to the wider WC membership.  I'm sure this complies with Lee Valley's requirement to not advertise the event on a public social forum  ::-)
If you didn't see up thread, there should be a maximum financial commitment of £30 each for the Velodrome bit (travel costs and refreshments extra), accurate cost for the evening to be confirmed depending upon your equipment hire and how much a coach actually is.  Given the cost is £35 for an individual booking a taster session I anticipate us paying somewhat less than that.
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #8357 on: 25 November, 2015, 11:26:19 am »
That is the monarch in question.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #8358 on: 25 November, 2015, 11:39:37 am »
That is the monarch in question.

huggy and I have just had a conversation on our mobile telephones (they'll never catch on) and it has been decided (*) that we're all following him this evening.

(*) huggy generously volunteered - well almost  ;D

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #8359 on: 25 November, 2015, 11:55:41 am »
I have indeed been nominated route mister for this evening, does that mean I don't have to come out?
This evening's offering of Nominal Route which affords the opportunity to scoop up Tomsk somewhere between Gt Dunmow and Rayne.  Although the route is shown as being on metalled roads there is also the almost too good to miss opportunity of seeing how muddy the Flitch Way is  ::-)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #8360 on: 25 November, 2015, 12:02:14 pm »
"Nominated" is such an ugly word in the context we are discussing.  It smacks of coersion!  As if  :o  Shall we agree on "volunteered"?  Moving on ...

The Flitch Way - oh yes!  Fred hasn't been on the Flitch Way yet.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #8361 on: 25 November, 2015, 12:11:18 pm »
I did the Flitch on Sunday (Stansted end) and it was "OK" :)

Can you get on at that bridge over it on the B1417?  Seems a shame to ride all the way to Rayne to join it...

What time will you be at Little Waltham?  I may intercept there - as my route was NE to Rayne via Channels to avoid the Hospital ....
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #8362 on: 25 November, 2015, 12:29:19 pm »
I have indeed been nominated route mister for this evening, does that mean I don't have to come out?
This evening's offering of Nominal Route which affords the opportunity to scoop up Tomsk somewhere between Gt Dunmow and Rayne.  Although the route is shown as being on metalled roads there is also the almost too good to miss opportunity of seeing how muddy the Flitch Way is  ::-)

I would be more tempted to not miss the opportunity of seeing which beers the Compasses has on ;D

Surely it would be rude to ride straight past without a quick stop.....are our bikes even capable of doing this?

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #8363 on: 25 November, 2015, 12:30:06 pm »
In chronological order....

What time will you be at Little Waltham?  I may intercept there - as my route was NE to Rayne via Channels to avoid the Hospital ....
We would probably be at the White Hart in Little Waltham between 20:05 and 20:10

I would be more tempted to not miss the opportunity of seeing which beers the Compasses has on ;D
Surely it would be rude to ride straight past without a quick stop.....are our bikes even capable of doing this?
To accomodate Tippers & Oaky we are likely to be near The Compasses at 20:20, they may not leave if we do waiver and stop there.

Can you get on at that bridge over it on the B1417?  Seems a shame to ride all the way to Rayne to join it...
Yes, that is where we would join the FW, it's a footpath entrance close to the overhead bridge.  I reckon we would be there about 20:40, providing step 2 above is avoided  ::-)

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #8364 on: 25 November, 2015, 12:37:44 pm »

To accomodate Tippers & Oaky we are likely to be near The Compasses at 20:20, they may not leave if we do waiver and stop there.

Glad to see that the old rule of blaming Oaky extends to times when I'm in Bavaria!  ;D
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #8365 on: 25 November, 2015, 12:39:27 pm »
Bike access from Stebbing Road, 1 - 2 miles West of the bridge?
Regards,

Joergen

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #8366 on: 25 November, 2015, 12:46:30 pm »
Bike access from Stebbing Road, 1 - 2 miles West of the bridge?
Hmm, okay, navigational misdirection in original post, must have caught that from OD.  Standby for new route to include FW...

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #8367 on: 25 November, 2015, 12:49:11 pm »
Looking along FW towards Stebbing Road Access (testing if I can link pics from Strava to here)

Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #8368 on: 25 November, 2015, 12:54:11 pm »
You seem to have missed out Sheepcotes 'Lane' between Leighs Road and Church Hill, Lt Waltham ;)

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #8369 on: 25 November, 2015, 12:55:01 pm »
I'll aim to get beyond Stebbing Road and onto your new route [tbc when it appears...] from the Compasses to head you off. I'll do a little loop first probably...or I might have to head to the Compasses and drag tippers out, or just stay there  ::-)  ;D

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #8370 on: 25 November, 2015, 01:02:19 pm »
okay, how about this?
It deftly avoids temptation of The Compasses and Stebbing Lane, instead choosing to join the FW off Station Road (where I thought it was going in the first place before my navigational error came to light)
We should be at the Station Rd FW entrance about 20:30.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #8371 on: 25 November, 2015, 01:04:29 pm »
You seem to have missed out Sheepcotes 'Lane' between Leighs Road and Church Hill, Lt Waltham ;)

I've tried that before and you get stuck in the farm yard unless you want to walk through the fields.... the sat view is a bit of a lie in respect of a path! :)
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #8372 on: 25 November, 2015, 01:19:17 pm »
I might ride straight to the Compasses and wait for Oaky  ;D

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #8373 on: 25 November, 2015, 01:41:26 pm »
okay, how about this?
It deftly avoids temptation of The Compasses and Stebbing Lane, instead choosing to join the FW off Station Road (where I thought it was going in the first place before my navigational error came to light)
We should be at the Station Rd FW entrance about 20:30.

I'll try and intercept at Little Waltham PH still, 20:05ish.  I don't fancy hanging around at the Station Road entrance (given the local encampment ;) )
Regards,

Joergen

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #8374 on: 25 November, 2015, 01:54:52 pm »
I'll go for a Felsted/Hartford End intercept.