Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1752144 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #9300 on: 20 May, 2016, 04:28:26 pm »
Here we go ...

Has the toothsome young lady Wowbagger is wheeling around the dance floor got your Christmas tree hat Oaky ...?

By jove, I believe she has ...!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #9301 on: 20 May, 2016, 04:53:40 pm »
I have produced a route for the Witham peloton to get to The Cock at HBO.  It's not great so someone might want to finesse it.  CLICKY.

« Reply #9302 on: 20 May, 2016, 05:06:03 pm »
I have produced a route for the Witham peloton to get to The Cock at HBO.  It's not great so someone might want to finesse it.  CLICKY.
The part of the route nearest to HBO running through Great Canfield is definitely the route I would take from your direction. For some reason there are no through roads south of that route, unless you drop down to the A1060 or further south, but then it becomes difficult to get a good route running east-west in any semblance of a direct way.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Oscar's dad

« Reply #9303 on: 20 May, 2016, 05:15:43 pm »
The part of the route nearest to HBO running through Great Canfield is definitely the route I would take from your direction. For some reason there are no through roads south of that route, unless you drop down to the A1060 or further south, but then it becomes difficult to get a good route running east-west in any semblance of a direct way.

Thanks, like you say there's nothing obviously useful running west / east between the B184 and HBO - odd!

« Reply #9304 on: 20 May, 2016, 07:36:40 pm »
Thanks, like you say there's nothing obviously useful running west / east between the B184 and HBO - odd!

Oh but there is! There's COR galore out that way. I ended up being chased by a dog around some farm last time I ventured off road round there though  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #9305 on: 21 May, 2016, 04:27:31 am »
Go on then bobbers, let's have a route suggestion then!  The chunky tyres are back on Fred so we're well up for a bit of COR  :thumbsup:  Mind you he is now very clean but hey ho, I can always get the hose out again!

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #9306 on: 21 May, 2016, 12:28:37 pm »
OMG, 90 miles, COR and the likelihood of being chased by a dog, all on a Wednesday night. It's getting better and better. :facepalm:

« Reply #9307 on: 21 May, 2016, 12:33:17 pm »
There will be no COR from me! It's MTB territory and probably actually foot paths...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #9308 on: 21 May, 2016, 01:43:54 pm »
So bobb, when you say MTB you actually mean a road bike on 23c tyres, yes?

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #9309 on: 21 May, 2016, 07:19:00 pm »

Well, yes...there's COR potential by going left onto the byway at Hellman's Cross in Gt Canfield, down to Broomshawbury and round right to Crabbs Green Farm on the Taverers Green lane to HBO. I'll see if I can get along there soon to see if it's still doable. I think the bridleways up from Aythorpe Roding are a bit rough, but I could look at those too.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #9310 on: 23 May, 2016, 05:53:00 pm »
So, this Wednesday, we're off to The Cock ;D at HBO are we?

And the Witham peloton are following the route I suggested without added COR?

And we are stopping at The Compasses, LG on the way?

And finally, I suggested the Witham peloton set off at 7pm.

Thoughts on the above?

« Reply #9311 on: 23 May, 2016, 06:18:55 pm »
I will be sitting in a school hall proudly watching a not so mini Tippers picking up her awards!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #9312 on: 23 May, 2016, 06:24:19 pm »
I will be sitting in a school hall proudly watching a not so mini Tippers picking up her awards!

:thumbsup:

You are excused!

« Reply #9313 on: 23 May, 2016, 07:02:28 pm »

Thoughts on the above?

I will meet you at The Cock in HBO. Once the Witham peloton have agreed their plans, it would be useful to know what time you're likely to be arriving in HBO.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #9314 on: 23 May, 2016, 07:23:39 pm »

Thoughts on the above?

I will meet you at The Cock in HBO. Once the Witham peloton have agreed their plans, it would be useful to know what time you're likely to be arriving in HBO.

It's always nice to know when you're getting some cock :facepalm:

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #9315 on: 23 May, 2016, 07:47:46 pm »
Looked at some of the COR on my slightly round-about trip to Chelmo this morning. Boxley Lane, from Hellman's Cross, used to be a decent gravel track, but sadly very churned up by 4x4s. The bit I rode was dry-ish, but no fun on fixed trying to avoid pedal strike on the ruts.

On the other hand, the bridleway from Aythorpe Roding to Broomshawbury was  mix of overgrown nettley/brambly  sections [walked about 200 yards], overgrown grass and cow parsley [rideable], short-grass track and dirt road [not too bad, just a bit bumpy on some of the hoof-churned bits]. There's a nice wooden bridge over the River Roding though. I didn't have time to investigate the section on to Crabbs Green Farm - looked to be gravel farm road, but the right of way is dubious - my OS map has it as white road and 'other route with public access'. All told, probably saves a couple of miles, but will be much slower going...I think the peloton would be happier with Steve's route from Pleshey via Great Canfield.

psyclist - 21:00 is usually our target arrival time - doable with a 19:00 start from Witham.

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #9316 on: 23 May, 2016, 08:49:33 pm »
I'll join the Essex peloton at the Littley Green Compasses at around 19:45, that's if we're still making a rendezvous there?

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #9317 on: 23 May, 2016, 08:55:47 pm »
I'll join the Essex peloton at the Littley Green Compasses at around 19:45, that's if we're still making a rendezvous there?

I'll be there at that sort of time too...

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #9318 on: 23 May, 2016, 10:47:50 pm »
Hopefully see you at HBO, I'm in the big village during the day, so hope to be back in time to eat and head out...
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #9319 on: 24 May, 2016, 06:56:42 am »
So the concenus seems to be that the Witham peloton will depart the Spa Road roundabout at 1900 hrs.

« Reply #9320 on: 25 May, 2016, 04:57:54 pm »
Ok 7pm at the roundabout. Looking forward to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bernster

• ACME (Herts Branch)
« Reply #9321 on: 25 May, 2016, 06:10:41 pm »
All going well, see you chaps at the Cock at HBO around 9pm or just before  :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #9322 on: 26 May, 2016, 08:26:59 am »
I should like to officially record of the official thread our official and very warm welcome to psyclist and Bernster. We hope to see both you chaps again very soon.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #9323 on: 26 May, 2016, 08:35:18 am »
Hang on, I forgot I took their photo, that's Bernster on the left and psyclist on the right.  They are both in IT but we won't hold that against them ...

Bernster

• ACME (Herts Branch)
« Reply #9324 on: 26 May, 2016, 11:51:14 am »
Was thoroughly nice to meet you chaps (and reacquaint with a few old faces), and I hope to ride out to meet you again the next time you head out West  :thumbsup: