Random Musings > Kidstuff

Transition from childs bike to adult bike

(1/4) > >>

DuncanM:
My daughter is now a teenager, and has outgrown her Islabike (Luath 24). She's barely ridden it the last couple of years, but has been expressing an interest in using a bike as transport (her best friend rides to school, though from the opposite direction). She's 5ft.

It seems like she's right on the edge of being suitable for adult bikes rather than kids ones, and seems to be thinking that she'd like something that's more like a Pashley than a 'cross bike (  :'( ). Obviously that would come as a huge shock, because it would probably weigh about twice what her Islabike weighs, but it also makes it far more common/cheap to buy, and far less stealable. I keep getting drawn to cool looking 531 Mixte style bikes on eBay, but I don't think that's her thing! :)

Any suggestions from those here who have helped make this leap?

L CC:
Has she finished growing? What does her friend ride?

I have one of these...
https://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/giant-liv-beliv-1-hybrid-bike-2017

They do a flat bar version.

My daughter rode a lovely teeny Trek I bought from eck OTP and passed on to one of Oaky's Acorns.

DuncanM:
She's not finished growing yet. Her friend rides a generic flat bar hybrid (the sort of thing students ride here (Oxford)).
That Liv looks very nice, I'll see if I can find a flat bar version that I can show her...

Kim:
Folding bike?  They're a bit of a compromise, admittedly, but probably fits with the Pashley aesthetic, while easily accommodating a short, growing rider.

DuncanM:
If I still had my Raleigh Twenty, she'd just ride that, but I gave it to one of those bikes for nurses things during covid. We'll see - I showed her a couple and she wasn't super enthusiastic, but she didn't turn her nose up completely either (like she does with drop bars!).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version