Author Topic: Slow cooker talk  (Read 6217 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: Slow cooker talk
« Reply #25 on: 21 July, 2021, 08:11:25 am »
The most important thing with the slow cooker is to cut back on added liquid more than you think, and don't be fooled when the ingredients look dry. Do not let them trick you into adding just a half a cup of stock, maybe. You will be left with a soup.

This is a really good point.

(Notwithstanding what I said earlier about needing more liquid for smaller quantities. You do have to be careful not to overdo it. Unless you like soup.)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

« Reply #26 on: 21 July, 2021, 09:53:52 am »
I've quite often ended up reducing the liquid content on the hob, despite having cut down the quantities, even most recipes seem to specify too much.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #27 on: 21 July, 2021, 01:12:01 pm »
The
The most important thing with the slow cooker is to cut back on added liquid more than you think, and don't be fooled when the ingredients look dry. Do not let them trick you into adding just a half a cup of stock, maybe. You will be left with a soup.

This is a really good point.

(Notwithstanding what I said earlier about needing more liquid for smaller quantities. You do have to be careful not to overdo it. Unless you like soup.)

I've quite often ended up reducing the liquid content on the hob, despite having cut down the quantities, even most recipes seem to specify too much.

The trick, I've found, is to minimise added fluids when it's a meat dish and to not worry if the meat in not entirely covered (as many recipes suggest).  Resist the temptation to lift the lid too often (just once or twice over the 8 hours to turn the meat if needed) and the pot will do the rest.

With 'dry' ingredients a bit more liquid is needed.  But often not as much as suggested.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #28 on: 06 August, 2021, 08:01:22 am »
The alternative approach is an air fryer. We have the smallest Ninja and it is used probably 5 days per week. We eat a lot of chicken which I make at the weekend in a marinade then leave in the fridge.
Dinner.
Slice courgettes or aubergine and cook in air fryer for 15 minutes.  Add sliced marinated chicken breast and cook for 10 minutes. Serve, pouring heated leftover marinade from base.
Salmon, remove skin and sprinkle skins with salt. Air fry skins for 4’ then add salmon fillet and cook for 4-5 minutes more. Serve.

I reckon to get a freshly cooked meal on the table within 30 minutes of coming through the door.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #29 on: 06 August, 2021, 09:14:14 am »

That explains why my lamb curry came out looking as if it came out of the wrong end of a rather poorly dog.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #30 on: 11 March, 2022, 12:44:42 pm »
Trying the old Tower (low/high/auto) slow cooker for a Moroccan-ish harissa (paste) chicken.  Wondering if anyone has recipes for any tried morrocan style or curry in slow cooker...  I've adapted the cooker manual recipe for 'chicken casserole' for basic settings etc, and changed ingredients. 

This cooker is 105W low / 135W high ('auto' is high then switch to low).  Any thoughts on how 6hrs (auto) cooking compares to say 1.5-2hrs in a main fan oven?
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

ian

« Reply #31 on: 11 March, 2022, 01:58:58 pm »
You can generally adapt any recipe by reducing the liquid content by around half (if it's still a bit watery, put it on the hob at the end to reduce). Avoid fragile vegetables (or add them for the last hour).

I just leave stuff on low for six hours plus, recipes in a slow cooker don't really overcook. I'm about to make a chicken pibil that will be ready about 10 pm.

« Reply #32 on: 11 March, 2022, 03:22:42 pm »
Thanks, sounds good.  Anything like this?  https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/slow-cooker-chicken-pibil-tacos/

« Reply #33 on: 11 March, 2022, 03:29:04 pm »
Forgot to add grated root ginger to mine, so going to bung some in for the last hour-ish.

ian

« Reply #34 on: 11 March, 2022, 04:04:54 pm »
Thanks, sounds good.  Anything like this?  https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/slow-cooker-chicken-pibil-tacos/

Basically. Marinated some chicken thighs in achiote (mush up about a tablespoon of paste with some orange juice) for a couple of hours, brown in the pan, sauté some onions, celery, and jalapeños, throw in some chopped tomatoes, two spoons of ground cumin, two spoons of smoked garlic granules, a spoon smoked paprika, a generous helping of oregano, some dried chipotle flakes, and smidge of ground cinnamon and salt generously. Add a glass of orange juice, the juice of one lime, all the remaining marinade and a squirt of tomato puree till the chicken is three-quarters covered.

Cooking on low for 8 hours till the chicken shreds easily.

It's not very authentic, but certainly smells nice already.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #35 on: 11 March, 2022, 04:19:55 pm »
Hmm. I have just remembered that my Brød & Taylor bread proofer is also a slow cooker, maybe I should buy some pork or beef cheeks and investigate that some time.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ian

« Reply #36 on: 11 March, 2022, 05:31:35 pm »
The downside of slow cooking is that it's making me hungry and there are another five hours on the clock. My wife has just texted me the same from her office upstairs.

Another quick thing for the slow cooker is to just brown some meat, and use ready-to-use packet curry sauce. Five minutes prep.

(First try out for my Ninja Foodi on slow cooker mode.)

ian

« Reply #37 on: 11 March, 2022, 08:42:38 pm »
It's killing me now. Still says two hours. It's definitely  s l o w.

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #38 on: 11 March, 2022, 09:55:20 pm »
Take out the bike for a ride (hey, this is a cycling forum). Two hours on the bike and you don't have to feel bad about having seconds  ;D