Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 469542 times)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #450 on: 09 October, 2015, 09:01:47 pm »
Good luck Rog.  Best wishes for a trouble free op.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #451 on: 10 October, 2015, 05:14:26 pm »
I hope your op goes well Roger.

I've had a sore arm since the start of September. Many normal arm positions give no pain, but putting my arm in the wrong place creates a sharp pain. No idea how it happened. Probably time to see the GP and do something more than avoiding waving my hands in the air (like I just don't care) about it.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #452 on: 17 October, 2015, 04:24:34 pm »
All done now.  Just light and shade yesterday but it's improving rapidly and I could probably just about grope my way around with the right eye now.  For the time being I'm wearing a black eyepatch (Emilio Largo style) as the blurry image from the right eye is interfering with the clear image from the unoperated eye.  Worst bit is that for the first 24h, you are supposed to spend 75% of the time flat on your back facing the ceiling.  I can't sleep on my back as it aches; I always sleep on my side. So I didn't sleep much and I have a twinge all down my back today.  Anyway, the 24h have gone.  The general anaesthetic was just like being asleep, with no side-effects.

I am banned from any kind of work for two weeks, even hoovering!  The risk is that the graft detaches under any kind of strain before it has properly attached itself.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #453 on: 17 October, 2015, 09:17:12 pm »
Heal well.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #454 on: 18 October, 2015, 10:32:48 am »
Heal well and hope you manage to do the boring resting.

« Reply #455 on: 18 October, 2015, 10:49:18 am »
Heal well & quickly Roger.  Don't forget to keep the eyepatch for the next "talk like a pirate" thing  :)
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #456 on: 18 October, 2015, 10:50:56 am »
Heal well.  Hope it's optically good once everything's all knit up.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

rogerzilla

« Reply #457 on: 18 October, 2015, 08:08:15 pm »
It's remarkably good today; I could probably read the top line on an eye chart with it despite the fact that there is still a pretty big air bubble in there (this is deliberately added during surgery to press the graft against the inside of my own cornea and make it stick, and is absorbed after a few days).  All in all, it's amazing considering the usual timescales quoted for useful vision after this surgery.  I don't think my father could see much for two months. I am right at the bottom of the age range for this procedure, with very early onset Fuch's dystrophy, so my eye probably heals quicker than the typical patient who would be in their 70s.

Post-op consultation is on Tuesday (train trip to Reading) when he can tell me to what extent it has so far "bonded".

In one of those "small world" surprises, my cat's opthalmologist knows my opthalmologist  ;D

« Reply #458 on: 18 October, 2015, 09:01:30 pm »
Sounds very positive so far. Heal well!
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #459 on: 19 October, 2015, 12:35:10 pm »
Slow release propranolol is making my eyesight really blurry. Seeing-double blurry with knobs on. Can only read text off computer if I zoom in.
Asked pharmacist if there was anything that would help, thinking she's suggest some sort of eye drops. No, she says, nothing will help with that. See if eyes settle down and if not, try a different beta blocker.

That's an embuggerance, that is, because apart from blurred eyes, this dosage and pills are really working for me.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #460 on: 21 October, 2015, 07:28:50 am »
It's remarkably good today; I could probably read the top line on an eye chart with it despite the fact that there is still a pretty big air bubble in there (this is deliberately added during surgery to press the graft against the inside of my own cornea and make it stick, and is absorbed after a few days).  All in all, it's amazing considering the usual timescales quoted for useful vision after this surgery.  I don't think my father could see much for two months. I am right at the bottom of the age range for this procedure, with very early onset Fuch's dystrophy, so my eye probably heals quicker than the typical patient who would be in their 70s.

Post-op consultation is on Tuesday (train trip to Reading) when he can tell me to what extent it has so far "bonded".

In one of those "small world" surprises, my cat's opthalmologist knows my opthalmologist  ;D

There are things you've never heard of until you or someone you know has got them and they're bloody.  That one sounds horrible: I hope everything continues well.

Me own reason for tripping these hallowed halls is trivial in comparison: since the end of September my dodgy right shoulder has been hurting on a scale from 3 to 8 depending on what I've been doing with it.  Yesterday evening I suddenly realized that all the pain was gone, and I can swing my arm about and lift moderate weights with impunity.  Must have been a trapped nerve. :)  Now I have to rebuild my quads. :(

« Reply #461 on: 21 October, 2015, 11:04:52 am »

I am banned from any kind of work for two weeks, even hoovering

I imagine that's starting to get to you ... hope its still going well!

rogerzilla

« Reply #462 on: 21 October, 2015, 06:29:45 pm »
After yesterday's follow-up with the surgeon, I have been given permission to ride a bike (!) so presumably the hoovering clause is now null and void.  I just have to avoid blows to the head and I must not, under any circumstances, rub my right eye.  Still on two-hourly eye drops (steroids every 2, antibiotics every 4).  Pupil remains very dilated as atropine is used during the surgery and takes at least a week to wear off. and this will be causing most of the fuzziness at the moment.  Once it shrinks down to normal size I should have pretty good vision, certainly up to driving standard in the "new" eye.  You can't tell how good it's eventually going to be until six months have elapsed, it's all knitted together, the swelling has gone and the scar tissue has hopefully clarified.  Given that most people can apparently see bugger all through a corneal graft for a month or so, it's incredible.  And yes, I am grateful to whoever's slice of cornea is now implanted in mine...it will hopefully outlive them by another 40 years or so.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #463 on: 25 October, 2015, 08:15:35 pm »
After having viral lurgy since Monday I was hoping the sodding hot/cold/hot/cold nonsense had stopped on Friday (just as my shoulder spazzed up to compensate by requiring stupid doses of codeine to nobble it)... But nope, felt crappy when I woke up today and am back to hot/cold/hot/cold again this evening.

If I'm not well enough to go to work tomorrow I'm going to have to bother my GP for a sicknote. I can't really afford a second week off sick, so may haul my arse into work regardless cos if I go splat trying they do at least see it's genuine and not cos I'm having a strop about the shambles which is our new poorly accessible to me office.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #464 on: 27 October, 2015, 11:27:01 am »
I'm sitting in the surgical admissions waiting room in Lancaster infirmary as I am booked for an overnight stay.
They're going to do, under anaesthetic, a biopsy on a tumour on my epiglottis. I'm not a happy camper as I've not had any Koffi since 5am! They say it's Prolly not the Cancer but I am..... A Little bit Nervous of the results.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #465 on: 27 October, 2015, 12:33:09 pm »
Good luck!
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #466 on: 27 October, 2015, 01:09:58 pm »
Good luck pd!
Thinking of you.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #467 on: 27 October, 2015, 01:14:01 pm »
Good luck with that, and happy coffee after.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #468 on: 27 October, 2015, 03:25:54 pm »
Good luck. Hope they are right and it isn't cancer. :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #469 on: 27 October, 2015, 06:07:56 pm »
Luck!
Milk please, no sugar.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #470 on: 28 October, 2015, 08:41:38 am »
Thanks for the good wishes, I was sat in the waiting room, surgical admissions, for Six Hours! I couldn't complain as they were seeing Children before the older farts like myself. Finally got taken in and given the sleepy stuff.
My throat hurts so bad but I can't do anything about it. DRUGS in a generally opiate stylee are being Nom Nom'd but it hurts like hell having to use pills. Liquid Morphine has been requested.
I just want to go back Home.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #471 on: 28 October, 2015, 08:49:16 am »
Hugs pedaldog.
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #472 on: 28 October, 2015, 01:27:17 pm »
Well a night of semi-fits, vertigo and double vision, trying to work from home - now right eye has shimmering artifacts over a 1/3rd of my field of view.  They persist even with my eyes shut. ffs

Closed all curtains, turned down brightness on PC. kaleidoscope effect went away after 30min or so.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #473 on: 28 October, 2015, 01:44:52 pm »
I hope the day improves for both of you.

« Reply #474 on: 30 October, 2015, 11:56:28 am »
I did the sensible thing and went to the optician. Different one from last time, a very young-seeming lass (anyone who looks younger than my kids is very young, ok?) who was extremely thorough.
She was noticeably more knowledgeable than the previous (older man). Seems at my previous exam, just 3 months ago, the exam showed I needed reading glasses. Since then there has been a major deterioration in my close-in sight and the optician's opinion was that this would be contributing to migraine issues.

Due to my other eye issues, the cheap off-the-shelf reading glasses would be worse than useless. Bah effing humbug, here goes a major expense I could do without.
<i>Marmite slave</i>