Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 470787 times)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #475 on: 30 October, 2015, 12:20:23 pm »
I'm pretty sure I'm developing arthritis in my first metacarpalphalangeal joint on my non-dominant hand. I have a friend who is a hand therapist so I will ask her to look at it.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #476 on: 30 October, 2015, 03:32:00 pm »
Missus went shopping this morning and brought back a bunch of Chinesey stuff for lunch.  Without really thinking about it I ate a load and an hour later was poleaxed - it must have had a GI rating in the low astronomicals. Slept for an hour and a half, struggling back to the surface now and feeling like shit warmed up on a shovel.  Got a club committee meeting this evening and I'm still having trouble putting one foot in front of the other.

Yetch.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #477 on: 30 October, 2015, 03:51:04 pm »
Doesn't boiled white rice have a GI similar to jelly babies?

If I'm going to eat high GI stuff, let me eat CAIK!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #478 on: 31 October, 2015, 08:34:10 am »
Boiled rice is fairly explosive but it's the GI of the entire meal that counts rather than just the components.  Unfortunately, although we had noodles rather than rice and I didn't eat a lot of them, the rest was all stuff like nem* and sea food in batter - i.e. rice-flour skins on the nem and lots of very thick batter.  Should have known better.  Touch of arrythmia in the evening & all night, gradually going away now. No coffee today. :(

* it was supermarket Viet rather than Chinese. Crispy deep-fried rolls with various fillings.

simonp

« Reply #479 on: 31 October, 2015, 10:49:20 am »
I sometimes have a reaction to Chinese food and I'm sure it's not the carbohydrates. It's likely something to do with high levels of MSG.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #480 on: 31 October, 2015, 10:58:29 am »
I sometimes have a reaction to Chinese food and I'm sure it's not the carbohydrates. It's likely something to do with high levels of MSG.

Probably more likely to be that, do you have a reaction to strong cheese?
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #481 on: 31 October, 2015, 01:03:32 pm »
I certainly can't tolerate hard cheeses when I'm taking metformin.  If I knock off it for a day or two, as I do on a decent Audax, I can pack it away with the best of them.  I reckon that the toxins in it - and all cheese is toxic in some measure - take the same metabolic pathway as metformin in the liver, which overloads and protests.

I don't usually have bad reactions to Chinese food, though.  Strange.

Samuel D

« Reply #482 on: 31 October, 2015, 01:21:11 pm »
I got pneumonia three times as a very young child and, perhaps as a consequence, all my life have suffered from a propensity for chest infections. Just spent two weeks recovering from my last one.

These are brought on by (a) lack of sleep, (b) being cold, (c) lack of food, and (d) exertion, in that order of importance. I can get away with any one factor (except lack of sleep for several days running) but in any combination they kill me.

I have come to accept that cycling increases my risk.

Does anyone here suffer from cycling-related chest infections and have you found a way to reduce your risk?

tiermat

« Reply #483 on: 31 October, 2015, 03:46:04 pm »
Ouch! I went to the doctor, yesterday, for my B12.

Ended up having that, 'flu jab AND  pneumonia jab.

My left arm now is really hurty!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #484 on: 31 October, 2015, 04:05:50 pm »
Just had another PR bleed.  Feel carp and teary now.  Also got the prep for my colonoscopy and gastroscopy which are happening in a week.  Going to view a potential new house in half an hour.  Yay.
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #485 on: 31 October, 2015, 04:19:48 pm »
Poor Ruthie. So sorry. Have a hug and a Tilley-lick.

« Reply #486 on: 31 October, 2015, 04:50:09 pm »
I got pneumonia three times as a very young child and, perhaps as a consequence, all my life have suffered from a propensity for chest infections. Just spent two weeks recovering from my last one.

These are brought on by (a) lack of sleep, (b) being cold, (c) lack of food, and (d) exertion, in that order of importance. I can get away with any one factor (except lack of sleep for several days running) but in any combination they kill me.

I have come to accept that cycling increases my risk.

Does anyone here suffer from cycling-related chest infections and have you found a way to reduce your risk?

Not quite the same thing, but some 20 years ago, I ignored a chest infection whilst going skiing and ended up with a bad case of pneumonia. Ever since then, I have had a propensity for any cough or sniffle to turn into a chest infection. The tendency when feeling unwell is to breathe shallowly, which actually exacerbates the problem, leaving bacteria to multiply. Far better to breathe very deeply  and bowing out deeply, almost (probably more than almost) hyperventilating for a minute a few times a day. I find that works well with cycling.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #487 on: 31 October, 2015, 06:31:10 pm »
Seems at my previous exam, just 3 months ago, the exam showed I needed reading glasses. Since then there has been a major deterioration in my close-in sight and the optician's opinion was that this would be contributing to migraine issues.

Due to my other eye issues, the cheap off-the-shelf reading glasses would be worse than useless. Bah effing humbug, here goes a major expense I could do without.

Sympathies. I had to spend £250 replacing my lenses which were ~9 months old as they were WAAAY out.

I actually think it was dodgy Vision Express so am trying to see if they gave me a screwy eyetest which I won't be able to prove or if they gave me duff lenses (provable if the reported ex-lens strength is different from Vision Express prescription)... 

I'm about to tell work that if they won't fix the lights they can pay for tinted glasses in my current and now correct prescription cos the new lighting is making me ill.

« Reply #488 on: 31 October, 2015, 06:57:41 pm »
just ordered the new lenses and frames - frames were cheapish, lenses were £140 . . .
<i>Marmite slave</i>

tiermat

« Reply #489 on: 01 November, 2015, 03:20:29 pm »
Ouch! I went to the doctor, yesterday, for my B12.

Ended up having that, 'flu jab AND  pneumonia jab.

My left arm now is really hurty!

This got worse, so much so that I couldn't eat my dinner last night. I treated Mrs T to a night away, spent close on £100 on a meal of which I only ate a few mouthfuls! I was in bed, and asleep by 19.30.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #490 on: 01 November, 2015, 04:01:37 pm »
^^^Funny you should mention that.  I got my flu shot on Tuesday and I've been smelling funny smells and feeling off-colour since Friday.  In particular I've been running round the house with the CO detector, convinced that I could smell smoke leaking from a cracked flue and that we were all going to die.  Detector remains resolutely on zero.  Remembered this morning that the last time I had flu I did exactly the same thing. The virus attacks the mucus membranes, hence the phunny smells.  Also, my arm is still a bit sore where the needle went in, but my wife's hasn't hurt at all.

Heigh ho.

tiermat

« Reply #491 on: 01 November, 2015, 04:09:29 pm »
That is weird, I convinced myself that our boiler was leaking CO, too.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #492 on: 01 November, 2015, 04:37:42 pm »
One of the first symptoms of non-specific viral lurgy that I get is a complete inability to tolerate the smell of vinegar.  To the point where my reaction to a whiff of tomato ketchup makes a useful diagnostic test.

My reaction to this year's flu jab was that my arm was a bit sore to lie on in bed the following night.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #493 on: 01 November, 2015, 04:39:53 pm »

Comforting to know it's not just me - it might have been our flue, after all.  But I roasted a batch of coffee this afternoon & it smells just the same. :(

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #494 on: 02 November, 2015, 02:08:37 pm »
The only thing I noticed after my 'flu jab 9 days ago was a sticking plaster which caught my T-shirt.

tiermat

« Reply #495 on: 02 November, 2015, 02:10:58 pm »
The only thing I noticed after my 'flu jab 9 days ago was a sticking plaster which caught my T-shirt.

Blimey! You must go to a posh doc's if they give you a sticky plaster!

As, previously mentioned, I had 3 shots in the same visit (B12, 'flu and pneumo) and got nowt but "See you later"...

« Reply #496 on: 03 November, 2015, 09:53:15 am »
Asked my doc about the 'flu jab' and he said "You don't need it."

He added "Your body is in better condition than some men twenty years younger."

« Reply #497 on: 03 November, 2015, 12:00:33 pm »

Comforting to know it's not just me - it might have been our flue, after all.  But I roasted a batch of coffee this afternoon & it smells just the same. :(

Perhaps the flue jab made a small hole ? :demon:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #498 on: 03 November, 2015, 01:25:57 pm »

Well done, you evidently chose the right parents.

« Reply #499 on: 03 November, 2015, 07:39:47 pm »

Well done, you evidently chose the right parents.
pmsl
<i>Marmite slave</i>