Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 463856 times)

Samuel D

Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #800 on: 15 February, 2016, 03:22:33 pm »
Oh, he did say to stop doing "extreme" events.  Audax isn't extreme, is it?

The only way to know for sure would be to ask the man on the Clapham omnibus.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #801 on: 15 February, 2016, 03:59:26 pm »
Fortunately I never go to Clapham.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #802 on: 18 February, 2016, 01:20:21 pm »
After my throat got much worse last night and I'm getting exhausted by TheSnot TM I got myself a GP appt with my lovely GP practice this morning.

EMIS is a steaming pile of fucking shit and wouldn't work at 4am so I had to get up at 8am and fight with deaf-relay telephony which is very very slow so very bad at repeat dialing to overcome engaged tones and answer phone messages (takes 30-60s to connect a call + waiting for op after call answered). Thankfully my GP is superb, they DO have appointments and their receptionists are very good with relay -- they don't hang up during the wait for an operator...  A less good GP receptionist might not stay on the line or have run out of appointments due to the slowness of dialing.

Sensible GP who I haven't met before, agrees with me that it is borderline viral/bacterial but given my history and how long I've been ill and lovely "signs of bacterial infection" she can give me antibiotics. We had a sensible discussion about whether we zapped sinuses or throat, she was skewing to sinuses, I skewed to throat which is more problematic so we went with throat. 500mg phenoxymethyl-penicillin 4x a day for 10 days which sounds like standard regime.  I also need to try gargling with salt water to see if that shifts any crud, of which there's loads.

Also ibuprofen for nobbling minor sinus snot seems to be standard technique now (I learned it some years ago from a friend with brittle bones collapsed sinuses) and is probably largely responsible for the 2-3 year gap in needing antibiotics for ENT nonsense cos I can nobble it before it sets it a lot of the time... Thankfully I can tolerate it pretty well.

EMIS still won't let me log in, it's changed what details it wanted since last time (I have everything in a text file) and won't let me reset my password or anything. I'll have to talk to receptionists sometime at GP (across the road) and get a reset thinger.  How is EMIS SO BAD! The User Interface is about as good as our new work software!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #803 on: 18 February, 2016, 01:42:54 pm »
GWS! PenV (phenoxymethylpenicillin) has to be one of the 'best value' medicines in the pharmacopeia, as well as the ibuprofen, but ICnBA to find out how many pennies your medicines have cost the NHS. I doubt it's more than £1.
Staff costs are another matter.

Pen V is very good for throats (and sadly neglected cos Newer 'Better' medicines were invented).

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #804 on: 18 February, 2016, 04:34:08 pm »
I see the British Heart Foundation will run a 'Dechox March' initiative to raise funds and encourage 'good habits' next month.
I am not participating...

« Reply #805 on: 18 February, 2016, 04:43:35 pm »
I see the British Heart Foundation will run a 'Dechox March' initiative to raise funds and encourage 'good habits' next month.

Quote from: BHF
Any sort of cocoa is a no-no

Quote from: BHF
Flavonoids contained in dark chocolate may have a protective effect on heart health

???

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #806 on: 18 February, 2016, 04:54:58 pm »
???

« Reply #807 on: 18 February, 2016, 05:33:51 pm »
mixed messages written by underlings

chocolate, with excessive sugar & crappy added fats; not so good

cocoa = excellent
<i>Marmite slave</i>

barakta

« Reply #808 on: 18 February, 2016, 05:59:43 pm »
GWS! PenV (phenoxymethylpenicillin) has to be one of the 'best value' medicines in the pharmacopeia, as well as the ibuprofen, but ICnBA to find out how many pennies your medicines have cost the NHS. I doubt it's more than £1.
Staff costs are another matter.

Pen V is very good for throats (and sadly neglected cos Newer 'Better' medicines were invented).

*nods* Took dose 2 a few hours ago. Think I've made right decision as sinuses improve throughout the day and throat is still horrible.

I am very lucky my GP surgery is very accessible which in turn helps me minimise my needing to use it because I don't need to book "just in case" appointments or keep going back to fix medical fail (like I did at first when they had 2 slightly dubious GPs who meddled with my meds or told me I wasn't ill so I'd go home and go back a week later HIDEOUSLY ill needing more followups and evil antibiotics).

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #809 on: 20 February, 2016, 02:14:53 pm »

Seeing as Easter is in March this year and Easter Eggs are a seasonal treat, I think this will not be a popular campaign.

If they ran the same campaign most other years, much or all of March would be in Lent.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #810 on: 21 February, 2016, 09:41:59 pm »
Not if you keep below 150.
Good news.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #811 on: 22 February, 2016, 11:07:15 am »
Does being ill make you clumsier? I'm just about over the majority of this weekend's lurgy, feeling only a bit washed out now*, but I seem to be knocking more things over/dropping things than normal.

*Considering the amount of sleep I've had this weekend, I really would like to feel more refreshed, ho hum.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #812 on: 22 February, 2016, 11:26:58 am »
Does being ill make you clumsier?
Yes
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #813 on: 22 February, 2016, 12:39:23 pm »

« Reply #814 on: 22 February, 2016, 02:01:38 pm »
We currently diagnose Gran's regular urinary tract infections by the deterioration in her dementia. It's a remarkably effective and accurate predictor as the body takes resources to fit the infection which pulls them from keeping her mind working.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #815 on: 22 February, 2016, 03:35:30 pm »
Anything will increase confusion in old people - infection, pain, full bladder, constipation, insomnia, diabetes, heart, lung, liver or kidney failure, stroke, just anything.

Sorting out the cause can be a challenge...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #816 on: 22 February, 2016, 03:49:31 pm »
Dear oh lor'. First session on the turbo after six weeks of doing SFA.  10 rousing km on the second resistance notch from the bottom, heart on 130 most of the time, and it felt like the hills before Villaines on the way back from Brest.  Doused in sweat.  This is going to take a loooooooooooooooong time. :(

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #817 on: 23 February, 2016, 08:50:37 pm »
Dear oh lor'. First session on the turbo after six weeks of doing SFA.  10 rousing km on the second resistance notch from the bottom, heart on 130 most of the time, and it felt like the hills before Villaines on the way back from Brest.  Doused in sweat.  This is going to take a loooooooooooooooong time. :(

Keep going like that, watching the HR and you'll be back in no time.

My left thumb is now throbbing, that'l learn me for chopping a bit off it.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #818 on: 24 February, 2016, 08:27:55 am »
I got a low-paid job three weeks ago and my German public health insurance information has now come through (you get automatically enrolled in the public health system when you get a job earning more than 450€ per month). This means that my decisions about whether to go to the doctor are no longer influenced by the fact I have to pay the first 500€ of treatment each year.

Anyway, I am going to see the Frauenarzt (doctor for women, although he is a man) this morning. This is part of the usual once-per-year cancer check (smear test and I think also breast examination). They do this yearly in Germany and it is free of charge with my insurance. I guess they will be shocked that it is 3 years since my last smear test but that's how regularly we do it in the UK.

What is good about German doctors is that they all have ultrasound machines so if they find any mystery lumps they (apparently) immediately check them with ultrasound and can supposedly say there and then if it's anything to worry about.

My experience of being privately insured just for two years, with the requirement that I pay for my treatment first and get the money back later, plus pay this 500€ excess, is that it is an unwelcome extra stress when you are concerned about health. I have no idea how people cope in the USA!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #819 on: 24 February, 2016, 09:07:07 am »
@ElyDave Cheers, but now it's bloody difficult summoning the energy to get back on the §$%&/( thing.  I hate turbos.

My experience of being privately insured just for two years, with the requirement that I pay for my treatment first and get the money back later, plus pay this 500€ excess, is that it is an unwelcome extra stress when you are concerned about health. I have no idea how people cope in the USA!

Yebbut without the US system we wouldn't have had "Breaking Bad".

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #820 on: 24 February, 2016, 12:25:59 pm »
Well everything was very efficient at the Frauenarzt. Except he recommended I had an ultrasound of my gearbox and that wasn't included in the free insurance bit of the consultation. I said yes as I thought it worth it for a first time and so that was 40€ but cheap at the price as he said everything was in the right place and looked fine.

The waiting rooms are posher and the equipment seems newer in German hospitals or doctors' practices.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #821 on: 24 February, 2016, 07:22:29 pm »
I am glad to hear that you have passed your not ah  :thumbsup: . I am off to heatherwood hospital in the morning to hopefully have my cathier remove .If I am lucky my plumbing will work this time  :)
the slower you go the more you see

barakta

« Reply #822 on: 24 February, 2016, 09:57:02 pm »
Good luck tomorrow Chris! Hope they can remove the wretched thing and your plumbing behaves!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #823 on: 24 February, 2016, 09:59:36 pm »
Good luck, cycleman!

« Reply #824 on: 25 February, 2016, 10:03:04 am »
I always thought I could handle caffeine, as I can drink loads of tea/coffee and have no problems dropping off.
I listened to a podcast on caffeine, and they said that caffeine affects the depth of sleep, you sleep lighter, and have less deep sleep, so back in the middle of Jan, I decided to give/drastically reduce caffeine.
It's worked very well, I wake up more refreshed, and having given up caffeine, I don't need caffeine to get me up and running in the morning. I also wear a fitbit, and the stats from that confirm that my number of restless spells in the night has more than halved.