Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 469413 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #825 on: 25 February, 2016, 02:13:40 pm »
Yes, good wishes for that, Cycleman.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #826 on: 25 February, 2016, 04:10:58 pm »
^^^Same from me.

Although the words "yo heave ho" did go through my mind...
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #827 on: 25 February, 2016, 11:11:23 pm »
Is it possible to have too many, Zero calorie and no caffeine, hydration tablets?  I use them all day and night, get a panic when I need to order more!i have diabetes insipidus so I need lots of water with me at all times. just worrying that too many of the "High 5 Zero" in a day might have a negative effet?
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #828 on: 26 February, 2016, 08:01:17 am »
can't remember how much sodium is in the High-5 ones, that would be the main concern if you upset sodium balance, you may end up pi$$ing out what you're putting in.

I think the rest of what they have is a bit of magnesium, potassium, can't remember the rest.

What is your current blood glucose?  Long term control of that will be the key, as you're probably aware and will reduce that thirst.  I went from downing consecutive pints of water, tea, coffee, beer, gin to just normal thirst almost overnight.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #829 on: 26 February, 2016, 09:30:50 am »
I seem to have lost four entire days to lurgy, I've barely been awake since Sunday.

« Reply #830 on: 26 February, 2016, 07:28:11 pm »
Cheers all of you  :thumbsup:. It turned into a bit of a none event  ::-).  The uroligist was supposed to request some pressure test s  , a fact that was only discovered by the nurse by reading his written note's .so now the plan is to keep the cathier and tap in till the test is done (two months plus ) then if they can find a way to get the plumbing working again or teach me how to self cathieris . at least I can ride the trike in this configuration  :)
the slower you go the more you see

ElyDave

« Reply #831 on: 26 February, 2016, 08:34:45 pm »
that cannot be pleasant, having a tube up your old fella, at least you can still do stuff with it there.

« Reply #832 on: 26 February, 2016, 10:45:59 pm »
Makes me wince, just thinking about it. I've had a cystoscopy and getting tube past the prostate hurt.

On another topic, how long does it take bones to heal? 4 weeks now and I can feel the break exactly, still burns and aches like it did when I snapped the bloody thing!  The ligaments and tendons damaged from the dislocation have improved hugely.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

ElyDave

« Reply #833 on: 26 February, 2016, 10:51:42 pm »
Makes me wince, just thinking about it. I've had a cystoscopy and getting tube past the prostate hurt.

On another topic, how long does it take bones to heal? 4 weeks now and I can feel the break exactly, still burns and aches like it did when I snapped the bloody thing!  The ligaments and tendons damaged from the dislocation have improved hugely.

DOn't know, never had a fracture any more serious than fingers or toes and they didn't take too long.  My shoulder, dislocated as a 16 year old, is still buggered however.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #834 on: 26 February, 2016, 10:56:12 pm »
Bones vary in their healing rate. Upper limb is faster than lower limb, compact bone slower than spongy bone, bastard bones like the scaphoid S-L-O-W due to  poor blood supply, hands faster than forearms etc so many variables.
Sixish weeks for a radius if things are progressing but not all fractures unite  :(
And a healing fracture must consolidate after uniting
so the answer is complex...

« Reply #835 on: 26 February, 2016, 10:58:58 pm »
I just did some research and found I'm being impatient. 6 weeks for my age is normal.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Pedaldog.

• The Madcap!
« Reply #836 on: 26 February, 2016, 11:17:42 pm »
can't remember how much sodium is in the High-5 ones, that would be the main concern if you upset sodium balance, you may end up pi$$ing out what you're putting in.

I think the rest of what they have is a bit of magnesium, potassium, can't remember the rest.

What is your current blood glucose?  Long term control of that will be the key, as you're probably aware and will reduce that thirst.  I went from downing consecutive pints of water, tea, coffee, beer, gin to just normal thirst almost overnight.

Quote....
Light & refreshing sports drink with a hint of fruit
Including Vitamin C and electrolytes, including sodium, magnesium and potassium
Zero calories
Suitable for a wide range of sporting activities
No gluten-containing ingredients
With natural flavours. No artificial colours or preservatives

Current blood glucose is a bit higher than it should be so I am taking notes.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

simonp

« Reply #837 on: 28 February, 2016, 01:20:37 am »
I've suspected for a while that the rise in diabetes can't really be explained by diet, and other environmental factors play a role.

http://www.sciencealert.com/exposure-to-air-pollution-makes-rats-put-on-weight-and-messes-with-their-metabolisms

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #838 on: 28 February, 2016, 02:15:19 pm »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35679377
BBC journalists return to 'normal' life.

« Reply #839 on: 28 February, 2016, 07:44:23 pm »
Caught a chill thinks. Hot and cold, shaking, aches and pains, feeling generally 'off' and muzzy head ache.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #840 on: 28 February, 2016, 09:43:33 pm »
Pondering going back to that nice GP to say "antibiotics clearly killed some bacterial gakk but I am still virally unwell and it's now 4+ weeks and I'm getting really tired of it" even if it's to get a sick note to work to say there's nothing I can do except rest as much as possible... Not sure I'm ill enough to justify being signed off just low-level crappy so I am struggling.

Could also get avamys mega snot spray out of them as I think killing some snot might help everything else...  Worst doc can say is nothing that she can do but document it for my sodding employer if anyone winges.

« Reply #841 on: 29 February, 2016, 11:26:10 pm »
If that is Norovirus they can send it back to the depths of hell where it came from. Horrible.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #842 on: 01 March, 2016, 08:39:38 am »
I hope you are feeling better soon barakta  :)
Another water infection with add cold for me  :'( . roll on summer  ::-)

Pedaldog.

• The Madcap!
« Reply #843 on: 01 March, 2016, 10:59:42 pm »
I've suspected for a while that the rise in diabetes can't really be explained by diet, and other environmental factors play a role.

http://www.sciencealert.com/exposure-to-air-pollution-makes-rats-put-on-weight-and-messes-with-their-metabolisms
Interesting one! I put on around 90lbs in a couple of  years after I moved to my current Pit, (next to the A6 on a bottleneck of traffic with the bridge being the only main route out of the area only 100 yards away).

barakta

« Reply #844 on: 02 March, 2016, 03:12:00 pm »
Canardly hope the grim has stopped.
Cycleman hope the docs are dealing with the causes of these infections (rather than leaving you months)

I'm feeling a bit better but still not 100%. I'd like a new right arm, this one's been spazzed up for nearly a week, very boring!

« Reply #845 on: 02 March, 2016, 06:42:30 pm »
The doctor just says that the infection s are caused by the presents of the cathier .
Can't Kim fettle you a new right arm barakta  :demon:  seriously I hope it settles down OK for you as soon as possible ☺

barakta

« Reply #846 on: 03 March, 2016, 11:39:35 pm »
Quelle surprise about the infections being caused by catheter. Any chance of them inserting rockets up the hospital to make them do appropriate tests and moves to get you catheter free?

Sadly robot arms aren't that great. I've resorted to drugs which work but make me ill to see if that helps. That or I'll go for the give it a good thumping which does sometimes rebooterise it all.  8 days and counting but as all my other joints are still crunchy and bolloxed I'm going to blame hormones and scowl.

« Reply #847 on: 04 March, 2016, 07:42:52 am »
see the last episode of the brain on iplayer, hopefully available with subtitles, for experimental arm directly wired to the brain and under mind control :o

« Reply #848 on: 04 March, 2016, 10:27:52 am »
Two months before I get the pressure test's then we will see if anything can be done  . I hope you're arm settles down . I had visions of a cyborg barakta righting universal uni wrongs  ;D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #849 on: 04 March, 2016, 12:15:52 pm »
Barakta already is a cyborg.  She just doesn't like to get all Kevin Warwick about it.