Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 469192 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #1000 on: 24 May, 2016, 11:58:06 am »
Sorry to hear this T42.
There are quite a few former cyclists around here.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #1001 on: 24 May, 2016, 12:56:13 pm »
Really sorry T42.

Although my bike is rather at the other end of the scale than yours (a recumbent trike, heavy), I fitted an electric motor myself (in the bottom bracket) and it works really well. It means I don't have to work too hard to get up hills but turn the motor off when I'm riding normally. Something to think about in the future perhaps. If your bit of France is anything like my bit of Germany, E-bikes are the largest market segment now. Everyone is buying them.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1002 on: 24 May, 2016, 01:23:30 pm »
Thanks, folks.  Thinking it over, I've been down the beta-blocker/vasodilator lane before, and while it was at times very disagreeable on the hills I did get up them.  The main difference is that this time the stenosis can't be stented without blocking off a subsidiary network, so that I'll just have to ride with it and hope.

E-bikes are becoming common here. Several times recently I've gasped up hills only to see very unathletic-looking types cruising up ahead, sitting upright and putting no visible effort into it. Galling, that.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1003 on: 24 May, 2016, 01:25:53 pm »
E-bikes are becoming common here. Several times recently I've gasped up hills only to see very unathletic-looking types cruising up ahead, sitting upright and putting no visible effort into it. Galling, that.

The way I see it, it's a vast improvement on unathletic-looking types sitting upright and putting no visible effort into it with the more traditional 4-wheeled motor vehicle.   :thumbsup:

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1004 on: 24 May, 2016, 01:46:36 pm »
Oh aye.  The point is that you don't (usually) try to overtake the 4-wheelers.

...though a chum of mine overtook a bus on the way down from the Weißeegletcher once.  I stayed a bit back and didn't go over 75 kph.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1005 on: 24 May, 2016, 01:55:35 pm »
Oh aye.  The point is that you don't (usually) try to overtake the 4-wheelers.

Racing electric cyclists is a bit like racing people on Bromptons - whatever the outcome you've lost.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1006 on: 24 May, 2016, 03:44:37 pm »
:thumbsup:

Just back from the doc, who called the cardiologist who's calling the hospital, and tomorrow he'll call me to tell me when they can put in a stent.

My doc looked at the options and said the only viable one was the stent.  And when I said I'd already decided my long-distance career was over he replied "don't be so sure".

I like that.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #1007 on: 24 May, 2016, 03:54:39 pm »
Ich drücke dir die Daumen!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #1008 on: 24 May, 2016, 04:03:59 pm »

Just back from the doc, who called the cardiologist who's calling the hospital, and tomorrow he'll call me to tell me when they can put in a stent.

My doc looked at the options and said the only viable one was the stent.  And when I said I'd already decided my long-distance career was over he replied "don't be so sure".

I like that.

I do too. We're looking forward to riding with you again.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1009 on: 24 May, 2016, 04:14:10 pm »
Thanks, Dave.  Dunno if I could keep up 22.5 kph any more, though.

@Auntie Helen: Cheers, I press to me also the thumbs.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #1010 on: 24 May, 2016, 05:20:20 pm »
I wouldn't be quite so pessimistic. The last time we rode together, you were going fine and UAFs mostly avoid the really lumpy stuff. Besides, we tested a nice Fleche Velocio route for next year and a 361km total would suit us.

Alternatively, tandems have completed PBP Audax before now, so other UAF brevets would be a piece of cake. A Fleche de France on solo at touriste pace would also be fun.

« Reply #1011 on: 25 May, 2016, 09:01:55 am »

I like that.

In 2008 I had 4 stents put in due to a close encounter with angina, I'm still pedalling, I'm not as fast as I was but I can still do the distance, typical ride 50-60 miles and I can do longer distances.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1012 on: 25 May, 2016, 09:36:08 am »
I wouldn't be quite so pessimistic. The last time we rode together, you were going fine and UAFs mostly avoid the really lumpy stuff. Besides, we tested a nice Fleche Velocio route for next year and a 361km total would suit us.

Alternatively, tandems have completed PBP Audax before now, so other UAF brevets would be a piece of cake. A Fleche de France on solo at touriste pace would also be fun.

Right enough, 2013 was great fun.  That 600 was good too, even though I did see it through a camera.  Pascal and his worn tyres... he's a tax inspector if that's anything to do with it.

I think the missus would have a canary fit if I suggested a flèche, but it's early days yet.  My form is abysmal right now: if I get stented this week (here's hoping) there's another 3 weeks off, then 4 weeks of re-ed before they set me free - and they might still impose some curtailing witch's brew.  The surgeon explained that stenting this blockage would shut off a minor subnet that branches off immediately before it, so that bit of heart would die, leaving the rest to take up the load. It remains to be seen if that would be enough to irrigate quads at full bore.  Getting back is going to be "interesting".

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #1013 on: 25 May, 2016, 09:55:44 am »
Easter 2017 is the third weekend mid-April, so plenty of time to get fit and hopefully better conditions than for an early Easter.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1014 on: 25 May, 2016, 09:58:23 am »
Yup.  A wee bit of domestic psychological prep as well...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1015 on: 25 May, 2016, 02:32:15 pm »
Zut. Surge says no stent, too delicate "for now".  Drugs.

Dunno what "for now" means: wait until I'm totally wrecked or what?  Climbing 2 flights of stairs brings on pain.

We are not happy.  :demon: :demon: :demon:

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1016 on: 26 May, 2016, 09:17:09 am »
Them there potassium-channel activators don't half lay you out.  I haven't felt this shitty since the Inlaw Paw lost his Trinitrin patch in the shower and I picked it up on my foot without noticing.

And this should help me ride a bike? What planet do they buggers live on?

« Reply #1017 on: 26 May, 2016, 10:06:44 am »
It can take a while for the meds to stabilize. Patience, youngling.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1018 on: 26 May, 2016, 12:45:18 pm »
It can take a while for the meds to stabilize. Patience, youngling.

Yeah. In the meantime a one-minute extraction from 18 gm of coffee in the Bialetti just about countered the hammering head.

What worries me is that the artery in question seems to be closing at a rate of knots.  The amount of exercise needed to bring on pain has diminished by half within a week.

P.S. Youngling indeed.  Second childhood, OK, but youngling is downright insulting. <sickly grin>

...where's my bloody rattle gone?

« Reply #1019 on: 26 May, 2016, 01:15:30 pm »
On the bright side, the doc hasn't made you give up coffee.

I hope you are getting some monitoring. Doesn't sound like improvement at all.

P.S. Youngling indeed.  Second childhood, OK, but youngling is downright insulting. <sickly grin>
'tis a Star Wars reference, m'lud. No, they are not a popular beat combo.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1020 on: 26 May, 2016, 02:52:34 pm »
Ah.  A reference to H. Ford Esq.?

« Reply #1021 on: 26 May, 2016, 02:56:22 pm »
A group of talented innocents, strong in the force, ruthlessly slaughtered by one who is seduced by the dark side. Killed before their prime by evil forces.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1022 on: 26 May, 2016, 03:36:24 pm »
I know the feeling.

Our club prez is in worse trouble: bundle of His getting iffy, like a dodgy timing-belt.  He already had one side cutting out sporadically, now the other one's sputtering as well.  If they both go at the same time he starts to fall over, and if they don't cut in again it's curtains.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1023 on: 27 May, 2016, 01:08:01 pm »
Just burst into tears at work. I think I'll tell the GP I don't want to decrease my meds next week as we'd agreed.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #1024 on: 27 May, 2016, 01:15:44 pm »
Just burst into tears at work.
Is that not an occupational hazard, in your line of work? There must be only so much serious down a person can be around before getting a bit sniffley.
<i>Marmite slave</i>