Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 463914 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #1050 on: 19 June, 2016, 04:17:46 pm »
Took heart up to ~120 on the turbo. Painless, except for legs.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #1051 on: 19 June, 2016, 05:55:42 pm »
I stopped my Citalopram ten days ago, after whittling them down to 10mg every other day. My head is still 'swimming in a sea of jelly' and I'm constantly tired. But I'm buggered if I'm going back on the stuff just to relieve what must be temporary withdrawal symptoms. But I do wish it'd stop!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #1052 on: 19 June, 2016, 10:48:35 pm »
two weeks ago today: root canal.

today: temporary crown.

two weeks' time: proper crown, and a filling replacement.

:'(

Well that lasted well. Temporary crown fitted on Friday afternoon, loose Sunday afternoon, disintegrated Sunday evening. Hopefully they can squeeze me in tomorrow.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1053 on: 20 June, 2016, 12:57:19 pm »
New blood glucose meter consistently reads ~20 mg/dl higher than the old one. Shit.

« Reply #1054 on: 20 June, 2016, 01:17:09 pm »
does it need calibrating?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #1055 on: 20 June, 2016, 01:17:45 pm »
The next question is 'Which one is right?'
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #1056 on: 20 June, 2016, 01:25:15 pm »
Fiddling around with Bronchiectasis meds - omeprazole gives "gastric distress", but covers up symptoms reflux, sore mouth and loss of voice from carbocisteine. Gastric distress is shitty, but also, I am anaemic, and other than a pre-op blood test, no one has discussed my VB12, magnesium, calcium or iron levels.

Right now, one dose of omeprazole is enough to "get the party started", so I'm steering clear, but my mouth feels like it's covered in paper cuts, espresso is off the menu, and my voice goes weird if I talk too much, which I am prone to do.

On the upside, coming off omeprazole has gotten rid of the feeling of chronic fatigue.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1057 on: 20 June, 2016, 02:29:00 pm »
does it need calibrating?

A priori they're factory-calibrated.

The next question is 'Which one is right?'

Well, the pharmacy said that they weren't allowed to sell my previous one, nor yet supplies for it,  any more, even though they still had them in stock. The manufacturer is offering a free upgrade from mine and one other model, so I'd guess the new one is better.  Which means that my diet will need to be revised in the unpleasant direction.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1058 on: 20 June, 2016, 02:36:10 pm »
Fiddling around with Bronchiectasis meds - omeprazole gives "gastric distress", but covers up symptoms reflux, sore mouth and loss of voice from carbocisteine. Gastric distress is shitty, but also, I am anaemic, and other than a pre-op blood test, no one has discussed my VB12, magnesium, calcium or iron levels.

Right now, one dose of omeprazole is enough to "get the party started", so I'm steering clear, but my mouth feels like it's covered in paper cuts, espresso is off the menu, and my voice goes weird if I talk too much, which I am prone to do.

On the upside, coming off omeprazole has gotten rid of the feeling of chronic fatigue.

Bronchiecstatis sounds vile - sympathies.

« Reply #1059 on: 20 June, 2016, 06:07:43 pm »
New blood glucose meter consistently reads ~20 mg/dl higher than the old one. Shit.
mg/dl - blimey that's a bit old fashioned. I started using mmol/l in the 1980s (or are you in USAnia?)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #1060 on: 21 June, 2016, 01:14:22 pm »
T42 is in France and they tend to be keen on deci-stuff.

Turkey often prefers centi-stuff.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1061 on: 21 June, 2016, 02:39:41 pm »
A decilitre is 100ml so that [whatever] can be quoted as [whatever g %], which is what was done in days of yore.

Seems ironic that the purveyors of the Système Internationale are not using the SI units that millimole used most of his working life...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1062 on: 21 June, 2016, 03:07:42 pm »
Part of my right big toe has gone numb (pins and needles in response to changes in temperature, no sensation when the affected area is poked with a small screwdriver).  It's been like that for over a week now.  Mostly the weight-bearing patch on the outer edge and underside, which is admittedly fairly well-callused, but also some of the area to the side of the nail, which isn't.

As a habitual shoe-wearer, it's only a problem when I go barefoot or try to operate flip-flop-like shoes, where the lack of tactile feedback is causing me to stumble occasionally.  It seems entirely plausible that I'll injure it when barefoot and not notice, too.

There's no pain and the left toe appears unaffected.  Circulation is normal.  I'm not diabetic.  So I'm filing this under "nerve damage from excessive walking in brand new Shimano sandals the week before last", in the style of those "What's still broken after PBP?" threads, and assuming it'll quietly sort itself out after a few months when I've got used to living with it.

:-\

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1063 on: 21 June, 2016, 03:38:52 pm »
mg/dl - blimey that's a bit old fashioned. I started using mmol/l in the 1980s (or are you in USAnia?)

I thought the UK changed so as to assert their independence. ;)

Although on second thoughts it's maybe just the march of medical obscurantism.  Mg and dl are easy to calculate with, but who the hell remembers what a mmol is?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1064 on: 21 June, 2016, 03:53:38 pm »
There's nothing obscure about moles, it being the natural way to count large numbers of things (or even Things, though https://what-if.xkcd.com/4/ suggests that would be a bad idea).  Easier to calculate with as you don't need to care about the molecular mass of what you're counting...

Decilitres are just a way of obfuscating litres.  Millilitres make more sense, as that's a standard SI prefix.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1066 on: 21 June, 2016, 04:06:33 pm »
Moles: https://www.google.fr/search?q=moles&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b&gfe_rd=cr&ei=4VVpV7DZPJalVOmckIAK

Point taken, but hopefully anyone interpreting a blood glucose level is either scientifically literate, or at least aware that there are two different standard ways of expressing the result even if the units themselves are treated as arbitrary hieroglyphics.

Decilitres: https://www.google.fr/search?q=decilitre&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b&gfe_rd=cr&ei=alZpV8fAF5alVOmckIAK

Sure.  They're only marginally more obscure than centimetres, but like centimetres they still cause more trouble than they're worth when you start doing calculations with them.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1067 on: 21 June, 2016, 04:20:17 pm »
The obscurity of decilitres is cultural. In some places they're probably more familiar than millilitres. The obscurity of moles is scientific. Only the scientifically literate know what they are, and diabetes is not limited to them! For a start, what's the difference between a mole and a mol?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1068 on: 21 June, 2016, 04:27:44 pm »
The obscurity of decilitres is cultural. In some places they're probably more familiar than millilitres.

Interesting.

The obscurity of moles is scientific. Only the scientifically literate know what they are, and diabetes is not limited to them! For a start, what's the difference between a mole and a mol?

As I say, the average diabetes patient need only be aware that more than one unit is used, and treat the unit as arbitrary hieroglyphics.  Which does leave them wondering if "mmol/liter" is the same as "millimole/litre", but that's fail-safe.

The average diabetes patient usually only needs to worry about that sort of thing when provided with a new piece of testing kit (presumably by a doctor or pharmacist, who will be scientifically literate), or when discussing their condition with FOREIGNS on the interwebs[1].

I expect non-medically-trained carers are caught out from time to time, but it's a relatively simple lesson to learn - you don't even need to know what a mole is for these purposes, just that it's a different measurement from a milligram, and often written "mol".

Also, I despair at the level of scientific education if people confronted with moles don't at least think "Oh, that's something we were taught about in science lessons, something to do with measuring chemicals, but I can't remember what."  Similarly, I don't expect the layman to know what an Ampere is, but would expect them to relate "Amps" to measuring electricity.

[1] For interweb purposes, everyone who isn't a USAnian is foreign and likely to be wise to such issues.

IJL

« Reply #1069 on: 21 June, 2016, 04:37:04 pm »
Its not just glucose levels that are expressed differently in the US, almost every clinical test is described in different units.  I have a physiology text book that was published in the US for the English speaking but not American bits of the world.  it has a large red warning sign on the spine with US crossed out.

The link shows US Vs Canadian units but at a glance the Canadian units are the same as the rest of the world 

http://www.ccpe-cfpc.com/en/pdf_files/drug_lists/normal_values.pdf

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1070 on: 21 June, 2016, 05:28:41 pm »
Sure, for patients and carers the units don't probably matter as long as they give easily handleable numbers – so ideally integers less than 100 – and they know to keep it between a and b. The danger is going to be when comparing with other systems, whether that be Nameronians or French.

I'm probably exaggerating the spread of decilitres, but I'd be amazed if a lot of people don't confuse mol(e)s with millilitres, especially considering ml are often abbreviated to mils.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1071 on: 21 June, 2016, 05:38:17 pm »
I'm probably exaggerating the spread of decilitres, but I'd be amazed if a lot of people don't confuse mol(e)s with millilitres, especially considering ml are often abbreviated to mils.

I confuse mils (leftpondian for 'thou') with millimetres on a regular basis.  :facepalm:

« Reply #1072 on: 21 June, 2016, 05:50:26 pm »
Since I have had the new cathier in on Thursday I am very sore. Doctor has put me on antibiotics.  ::-)
the slower you go the more you see

IJL

« Reply #1073 on: 21 June, 2016, 05:57:58 pm »
Sure, for patients and carers the units don't probably matter as long as they give easily handleable numbers – so ideally integers less than 100 – and they know to keep it between a and b. The danger is going to be when comparing with other systems, whether that be Nameronians or French.

It rarely causes real issues in the UK, as far as I know everywhere apart from the US uses the same units and often you know the numbers that are normal without committing the units to memory.  I know the numbers for a whole range of clinical chemistry tests but I would have to check to know what the units are. 

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1074 on: 21 June, 2016, 06:14:17 pm »

I confuse mils (leftpondian for 'thou') with millimetres on a regular basis.  :facepalm:
Thou and thee..