Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 470849 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #1175 on: 09 July, 2016, 10:48:12 am »
I am in a bit and b in Llanwrtyd Wells and my back has gone again  :'(. I am not sure how I am getting home.

Ouch.  Did that on 23rd June 2013, but fortunately I had an orthopaedic nurse riding with.  Massage got me home.

Hope the Good Fairy will happen along soon.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1176 on: 09 July, 2016, 11:02:25 am »
Home again, feeling great.

« Reply #1177 on: 09 July, 2016, 11:09:31 am »
My lactose intolerance seems only to be triggered with various forms of ice cream/gelato (as I tend to avoid milk and dairy products, other than cheese on pizza). So I'm considering sitting down this weekend with a pint glass, and a bottle of A2 milk. Things might get messy.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #1178 on: 09 July, 2016, 11:48:38 am »
I'm largely lactose intolerant but I can have hard cheese, pizza etc. The lactose content of chedder etc is about 0.03%, compared to milk/cream/yoghurt which are 5%. 

I buy lactose free milk for TEA, avoid yoghurt and cream and don't worry about hard cheese or even small amounts of milk chocolate. What is worth looking out for is whey powder at 50% lactose in some cases as the lactose goes into the non-fat component of the dairy mostly.

barakta

« Reply #1179 on: 09 July, 2016, 11:49:05 am »
I am in a bit and b in Llanwrtyd Wells and my back has gone again  :'(. I am not sure how I am getting home.

Bugger, that does not sound good. I hope you can reboot it and get home safely.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1180 on: 09 July, 2016, 12:53:59 pm »
Home again, feeling great.

Excellent!!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1181 on: 09 July, 2016, 01:02:30 pm »
Thanks, Helly.  Nice thing was that the surge said I could drop the vasodilators without being asked, which would have been my next question.

I have the CD with the videos of the op home with me, but TBH I can't see much change.  Unfortunately they're a proprietary format so no YouTubing.

Still covered with betadine - look as if I have jaundice.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1182 on: 09 July, 2016, 02:05:47 pm »
Suggest you don't lie on white sheets yet!  ;) ;D

Hoping for a smooth recovery!

« Reply #1183 on: 09 July, 2016, 02:07:03 pm »
Try Sante Dicom viewer.  It is a free dowload

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1184 on: 09 July, 2016, 04:00:05 pm »
Manage to wangle a shower by taping up my arm in a freezer bag. All clean now.

« Reply #1185 on: 10 July, 2016, 07:33:26 pm »
And I am in Carmarthen hospital watching the rain falling. I doubt I will get out before Tuesday  ::-)
the slower you go the more you see

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1186 on: 10 July, 2016, 07:50:48 pm »
Oh dear! GWS!

« Reply #1187 on: 10 July, 2016, 07:55:47 pm »
GWS cyclamen

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1188 on: 10 July, 2016, 08:57:38 pm »
And I am in Carmarthen hospital watching the rain falling. I doubt I will get out before Tuesday  ::-)
Blimey. 
I absolutely have to be in Lampeter tomorrow.  Let me know if you are still there on Tuesday as I could take a bus down.  Anything you need?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

barakta

« Reply #1189 on: 10 July, 2016, 09:42:09 pm »
Eeep Cycleman, sorry to hear the hospital has got you, hope they can sort you out soonest!

« Reply #1190 on: 11 July, 2016, 07:15:36 am »
Thanks all of you  :). It would be great to see you basil. I may well be still here on Tuesday as every time I wake up and move my back mussels tense up. Although it does not go into full spasm my back is more painful now than it was last night. I am pleased to report that me and Jonathan notp acended and decended the devils staircase. I did look but the stair lift I not find it  ???. When I get back home there should be pictures. Basil I will pm you the ward info  :)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1191 on: 11 July, 2016, 10:43:57 am »
It's the careening that hurts most.

« Reply #1192 on: 12 July, 2016, 07:22:55 am »
I thought I was improving but about 3.00am my back nearly went back into full spasm  ::-). And it feels like something is bitting me!.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1193 on: 12 July, 2016, 08:10:30 am »
There are 3 buses a day from here.  Hopefully, I can catch the last one in and the first one back in order to come and point and laugh at you.  This still means I'll be over 5 hours away from my teenage niece who is currently staying here on paint brush wielding duties.  Not sure if I trust her that much.

I'll bring you some Welsh cakes.  They should help.   :P
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1194 on: 12 July, 2016, 01:38:29 pm »
Waiting for the duty GP to ring me back. My idiot cat stuck one of his claws deep into the thumb/finger webbing on my right hand at the weekend. There's no redness other than at the puncture point, but it's sore to touch in the joint and in the soft tissue, and full abduction of the thumb is sore in the joint.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1195 on: 12 July, 2016, 03:04:20 pm »
GP rang me back and went off to check the paper notes to check I've had my full tetanus course. While she had the paper notes in front of her, I asked her to look something up for me. What my parents have told me is that just after I started school I had a bit of a cold and the next day I was covered in a terrible rash, which they have explained to me as "you produced too many antibodies to the cold and then reacted to them." What I remember is going to the local hospital for urine tests and refusing to pee in the cardboard potty because I was a big girl (nearly 5!) and could use the toilet, and my dad carrying me up the stairs to bed because my legs hurt, and being allowed to eat my tea in front of the telly instead of at the table.

GP checked the notes - 22/09/75 (so about three weeks after I started school) - Hanoch-Schonlein Purpura. Never heard of it!
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1196 on: 12 July, 2016, 05:14:38 pm »
I thought 'Henoch-Schönlein Purpura' about 3 lines into your big paragraph...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1197 on: 12 July, 2016, 05:46:47 pm »
Bloody morphine paranoia. Spent two hours explaining repeatedly to the Inlaw Paw this afternoon that he was receiving treatment**, he was being monitored continuously, and the docs & nurses were keeping an eye on him and that yes, the doc had explained everything to him. He would respond "yes, but I've no proof" and we'd show him his daily charts, he'd say "well I'll take your word for it" and clam down.  Then his memory would evaporate and he'd start over. We're knackered. And tomorrow afternoon we go back.

**congestive heart failure. Looks bad.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #1198 on: 12 July, 2016, 09:37:13 pm »
IOP in left eye was 32mmHg today despite taking two types of glaucoma drop.  32 is scarily high (baseline before surgery was 12).  It's a reaction to dexamethasone, which I have been told to discontinue forthwith.  Now on loteprednol, which barely raises IOP at all (right eye is a decent 18mmHg and has been on loteprednol with no glaucoma drops for the last two months).

Opthalmwotsit says there is no optic nerve damage but he is clearly worried that the glaucoma drops didn't control the pressure.  Need to see him again in two weeks, by which time all the dexamethasone should have left the system and IOP should hopefully be under 21 again.

The balance to be struck is that you really have to take dexamethasone in the first few months after a graft, as it is a very powerful and easily absorbed anti-inflammatory which prevents rejection, but it is known to raise IOP in about a third of people.  Loteprednol is more benign but is too weakly absorbed to do the job in the early stages.  Raised IOP for a short period shouldn't cause glaucoma but it will eventually do so if left unchecked.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1199 on: 17 July, 2016, 02:41:21 pm »
My brother's been having some vision issues. He went to the optician who thought he had maccular holes and sent him to the eye clinic for a proper look.
Apparently 3 people at the eye clinic looked and they say there are no holes but may be some abnormal pigmentation on the retina, so he's to go back again for a Fundus fluorescein angiograph.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.