Author Topic: Swim related headaches?  (Read 2088 times)

Julian

• samoture
Swim related headaches?
« on: 28 January, 2010, 09:56:15 pm »
I've been for a swim a couple of times this week (for the first time since Christmas, since I managed a steaming cold at the beginning of Jan).

After getting out the water both times, I got a really unpleasant headache - like an ice-cream headache right above the eyes.  It starts stabby and then dulls to a slightly annoying ache, then fine the next morning.

The temperature of the water at the pool is positively balmy, so it's not a temperature thing.  I don't think my cap or goggles are too tight.  I've never had it before, and I've only been for short swims (20 - 30 minutes) so I don't think it's a lying down / standing up thing.

Anybody else get this or know why it might happen? 

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Re: Swim related headaches?
« Reply #1 on: 28 January, 2010, 09:59:58 pm »
Hm, sinuses usually take longer to fill up. 

Could just be the shock of seeing the pool again?  ;)
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #2 on: 28 January, 2010, 10:03:55 pm »
Tense neck and shoulders? I get all sorts of weird effects if they get tensed up.

« Reply #3 on: 28 January, 2010, 10:25:55 pm »
Cap and goggles. For me if they (goggles only for obvious reasons) aren't near enough un-noticeable then they are too tight by a long way.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #4 on: 28 January, 2010, 10:34:35 pm »
I get that sort of issue if I don't drink enough water while exercising hard - v. similar symptoms to what you describe.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5 on: 29 January, 2010, 12:53:10 am »
I second ww's remarks.
I wonder if this is a 'low pressure' headache, due to low pressure within the skull.
I have suffered low-pressure headaches when
hung over
after lumbar puncture
relatively dehydrated after eating salty snacks and drinking little water (this seems to happen to me more often on Christmas Day than at any other time).

Swimming causes a redistribution of body water and diuresis.

Try drinking a pint of water/Isostar/Lucozade Sport immediately after a swim.
The Americans reckon Mountain Dew, a caffeinated sports drink is the business for post lumbar puncture headache.

simonp

« Reply #6 on: 29 January, 2010, 01:54:04 am »
Try swimming with a nose clip.

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #7 on: 29 January, 2010, 01:20:11 pm »
Try big face goggles - much less pressure round the eyes and can be helpful.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #8 on: 29 January, 2010, 02:48:17 pm »
I had the exact same thing, until one day I forgot my goggles ( bog standard Speedo ones) At no point did they feel overtly tight though.

« Reply #9 on: 29 January, 2010, 05:23:03 pm »

Forgetting to turn at the end of each length??

;D

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #10 on: 29 January, 2010, 05:24:54 pm »
;D

Could be the goggles then - they do leave a slight mark on my forehead.  And possibly not drinking enough - I do tend *not* to have a drink before I swim, just because I don't want to have to get out and pee halfway through swimming!  (And no jokes about peeing in the swimming pool please, that's just nasty  :-X)

Zoidburg

« Reply #11 on: 29 January, 2010, 07:00:40 pm »
;D

Could be the goggles then - they do leave a slight mark on my forehead.  And possibly not drinking enough - I do tend *not* to have a drink before I swim, just because I don't want to have to get out and pee halfway through swimming!  (And no jokes about peeing in the swimming pool please, that's just nasty  :-X)
I didn't know you were so posh.

I bet you even get out of the bath as well.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #12 on: 29 January, 2010, 07:02:37 pm »
The silent 'p' as in bathing....

cometworm

« Reply #13 on: 29 January, 2010, 09:14:56 pm »
My girlf gets this - she (being of a medical persuasion) says it's due to oxygen debt from swimming  (because of the way you restrict your breathing for bilateral breathing). A prophylactic paracetamol before going in prevents it from happening.

Oh, and I regularly run to the gents between sets - as do others on my team - so don't let toilet breaks stop you hydrating!

Chris S

« Reply #14 on: 29 January, 2010, 09:17:08 pm »
My 2p worth. I'd have said a sudden onset headache after a cold was due to a pressure equalisation issue. Sommat what is bunged up with Goo needs to go "pop".

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #15 on: 29 January, 2010, 09:20:36 pm »
Toilet trips are far more inconvenient in one-piece ladies' swimwear. The thought of having the wet swimsuit on a boggy floor and then putting it on again may not appeal.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #16 on: 30 January, 2010, 10:31:26 am »
Riding a bike for more than about 40 miles often gives me a headache afterwards.  Conversely, a bike ride usually clears an existing headache.  I assume it's a low blood pressure thing.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.