Author Topic: Prudential Surrey 100  (Read 14094 times)

Prudential Surrey 100
« on: 10 February, 2016, 02:48:43 pm »
Who's in? I am in... 2nd time for me after the epically special Hurricane Bertha edition!

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
Re: Prudential Surrey 100
« Reply #1 on: 10 February, 2016, 03:12:28 pm »
I am 3 out of 3, or is it 4 out of 4, in receiving my annual commiserations magazine!

My wife is definitely 3 out of 3 in getting in, so we've booked our traditional hotel and she will certainly ride.  We'll talk to them about tandems again and see what happens.  I rode it in Bertha and it was a hoot.

I quite enjoyed being a supporter last time and just cheering people through Kingston (though I failed to see my wife at all, due to her riding with someone dressed as a banana at the time, who I did spot, but not my wife with him!).
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #2 on: 10 February, 2016, 03:16:13 pm »
I'm in  :thumbsup:
Eddington Number = 132

« Reply #3 on: 10 February, 2016, 03:29:28 pm »
I am 3 out of 3, or is it 4 out of 4, in receiving my annual commiserations magazine!

My wife is definitely 3 out of 3 in getting in, so we've booked our traditional hotel and she will certainly ride.  We'll talk to them about tandems again and see what happens.  I rode it in Bertha and it was a hoot.

I quite enjoyed being a supporter last time and just cheering people through Kingston (though I failed to see my wife at all, due to her riding with someone dressed as a banana at the time, who I did spot, but not my wife with him!).

I am shocked that I got in. I was 3 out of 3 for not getting in.

« Reply #4 on: 10 February, 2016, 03:38:49 pm »
Out in Bertha's year (but I rode WCW instead), in last year, out this year. Can't pretend to be gutted, though I mostly enjoyed last year's ride.

« Reply #5 on: 10 February, 2016, 04:40:44 pm »

I am shocked that I got in. I was 3 out of 3 for not getting in.

It's 4th time lucky for me. I suspect I'll only want to do it the once, but I'm really looking forward to doing it that one time.
Eddington Number = 132

« Reply #6 on: 11 February, 2016, 02:41:23 pm »
Still not been able to secure a place, but do have a charity place abvailable.  Now off to do some fund-raising.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #7 on: 11 February, 2016, 03:45:12 pm »
I got a place.  If I did ride it would make it four times in a row.

First year, the inaugural year I rode using a colleague’s entry who couldn’t ride it (rode the 100 miles).

Second year, the Year of Rain, I entered with a CTC charity place (missed out the Leith Hill and Box Hill climbs as they were closed due to the weather)

Third year I entered and rode it tandem with the former Ms Weasel (missed out the Leith Hill loop as it was closed off due to an accident – we rode the Box Hill loop twice to make up the distance).

This time, I’m not sure if I want to do it.  I saw so many accidents last year and can’t decide if it’s worth the hassle any more.  I really enjoyed it the first year, enjoyed the crazy rain the second and it was great to have a last good tandem ride with the former Ms Weasel* just over two years after we split up.

So I kind of feel I’ve done it now, I was in a different mood when I entered the ballot I guess.

That said when summer rolls around and if the weather is good I might kick myself for not taking part.

*Still no current Ms Weasel.

« Reply #8 on: 11 February, 2016, 04:05:23 pm »
I got a place.  If I did ride it would make it four times in a row.

First year, the inaugural year I rode using a colleague’s entry who couldn’t ride it (rode the 100 miles).

Second year, the Year of Rain, I entered with a CTC charity place (missed out the Leith Hill and Box Hill climbs as they were closed due to the weather)

Third year I entered and rode it tandem with the former Ms Weasel (missed out the Leith Hill loop as it was closed off due to an accident – we rode the Box Hill loop twice to make up the distance).

This time, I’m not sure if I want to do it.  I saw so many accidents last year and can’t decide if it’s worth the hassle any more.  I really enjoyed it the first year, enjoyed the crazy rain the second and it was great to have a last good tandem ride with the former Ms Weasel* just over two years after we split up.

So I kind of feel I’ve done it now, I was in a different mood when I entered the ballot I guess.

That said when summer rolls around and if the weather is good I might kick myself for not taking part.

*Still no current Ms Weasel.

Keep the place, and then when the time get near to the start, if you don't feel like it, give your place to someone for the entry fee. Everyone is happy.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #9 on: 11 February, 2016, 08:38:09 pm »
Who's in? I am in... 2nd time for me after the epically special Hurricane Bertha edition!

Yes, me also - the famous RideLondon86! I don't remember entering for this year, but I'm in. Not sure if I want the hassle of going down to That London for registration, then going down again at oh-early-o'clock for the ride itself. I may well give my entry away.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #10 on: 11 February, 2016, 08:52:32 pm »
4th rejection out of 4 attempts.  I'd love to know what criteria are applied, given that they ask you if you've taken part in a long list of sportives (of the "Ultimate Suffering 100km" variety) and what your best time was, but don't give you the option to mention that you've done a little 1200km in France on multiple occasions and can quite happily polish off the distance without really noticing it...
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

TimC

« Reply #11 on: 11 February, 2016, 09:12:05 pm »
My experience of the rainy one was that it was a good event, but more like an extended London - Brighton than a sportive. The route isn't wonderful, but takes a distant second place to the company, which is generally excellent! My annoyingly-fit ex-wife managed it in 5 hours dead last year, so you can get through the traffic if you try hard, but I found it more fun to go with the flow; my 86-mile shortened ride took me about 6 hours.

« Reply #12 on: 12 February, 2016, 12:32:04 pm »
I'm in again, 3 out of 3, no idea if it's luck of the draw or something else.

Commiserations to all who didn't get in...I can offer you this instead for a mere fiver, loads more bang for buck: http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/16-368/  :thumbsup:

« Reply #13 on: 12 February, 2016, 04:29:40 pm »
I am in, first attempt at the ballot  ;D

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #14 on: 04 March, 2016, 12:15:01 pm »
In on the tandem ballot!   :thumbsup:
Right! What's next?

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #15 on: 27 March, 2016, 11:15:14 am »
Never managed to get on this ride, have been in the ballot since the start. Maybe my face just doesn't fit!

They do get 10/10 for spam though, I get deluged with Prudential 100 "related" offers.
Everyone's favourite windbreak

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
« Reply #16 on: 19 April, 2016, 03:10:05 pm »
Thanks to my club Kingston Wheelers, I am in for the first time on a charity place from the Roy Castle Lung Cancer Foundation. We just had to give generously.
Must admit I have never even got round to entering the ballot previously. I'm going to a free talk at Sigma tonight in Hampton Wick, aimed at riders seeking to improve their ride time on this event!
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #17 on: 19 April, 2016, 07:33:27 pm »
I'm going to a free talk at Sigma tonight in Hampton Wick, aimed at riders seeking to improve their ride time on this event!

With that kind of dedication, anything more than 4 hours 30 from you and I will be most disappointed!
Right! What's next?

« Reply #18 on: 20 April, 2016, 01:11:16 pm »
4 hours is easy. Find a wheel, churn at 25mph without stopping. Collapse in a heap!

« Reply #19 on: 01 July, 2016, 12:31:00 pm »
6.04am starting time! That's almost Audax starting time!! Lovely early finish would be extremely nice!

essexian

« Reply #20 on: 26 July, 2016, 06:58:48 am »
Just applied for a charity place with my employer (a charity as it would happen who have 16 places going spare!) for 2017, I'll find out if I am in at the start of next year.

Whilst 100 miles for a lot of people on this site isn't that much, I haven't cycled more than 57 miles at a go since I returned to cycling back in 2009, so best get in some practice.  ;D

Good luck to those doing it this weekend. Hopefully the weather remains nice.

TimC

« Reply #21 on: 26 July, 2016, 12:52:09 pm »
I'm out. Can't guarantee being in UK on the day (let alone being able to register), so I've pulled the 'withdraw' trigger and look forward to a guaranteed entry next year.

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
« Reply #22 on: 28 July, 2016, 05:22:28 pm »
8.20am start time for me, on 5.48 train from Richmond to Stratford. Legs still stiff from Alps Raid last week, so grateful  I won't have to go off at 25mph+ like the 6am folk!
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

« Reply #23 on: 28 July, 2016, 05:40:19 pm »
I'll be cycling from home in Clapham to the start. Does anyone have any advice - either direct advice, or websites I can go to - about which roads will be open (to bikes at least) and which closed, ditto river crossings, etc.?
Eddington Number = 132