Author Topic: Interesting and Unusual Bikes You've Seen  (Read 646243 times)

Re: Interesting and Unusual Bikes You've Seen
« Reply #3100 on: 16 December, 2023, 12:39:39 pm »
Anyone care to guess what this 'Vintage 1913 Raleigh Gents Bicycle' was purpose-built for?  For sale on ebay

It’s had parts replaced over the years

The bike has been altered to carry out a trade of some description .. see the left hand
Pedal and stay…

Move Faster and Bake Things

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3101 on: 16 December, 2023, 01:06:43 pm »
Curious. I thought maybe the bulge on the chainstay was to put your foot and scoot-start, but there's one on the seatstay too. Maybe they're actually loops for lifting the bike. Was it for some sort of circus performance?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3102 on: 16 December, 2023, 01:58:56 pm »
Maybe it originally had a second rim on the rear wheel for a belt-drive power take-off when the rear wheel was lifted off the ground with a sturdy double-sided kickstand. Knife sharpeners were equipped like this.
https://www.dailytravelphotos.com/images/2009/091127_delhi_india_bicycle_knife_sharpener_salesman_MG_7506.jpg
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #3103 on: 16 December, 2023, 02:04:56 pm »
Would it give clearance to attach an old-style sidecar?

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #3104 on: 16 December, 2023, 04:39:04 pm »
Would it give clearance to attach an old-style sidecar?
That was my guess too.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #3105 on: 16 December, 2023, 07:23:24 pm »
I don't think it is anything to do with a sidecar.  We had a Watsonian sidecar on the tandem when our daughter was a sprog.  The sidecar frame fitted to standard rear triangle, with enough of a gap to clear the left hand crank and pedal.  So the extra width of that bent crank would be problematic.
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

JennyB

• Old enough to know better
« Reply #3106 on: 16 December, 2023, 07:49:50 pm »
For carrying a ladder?
Jennifer - Walker of hills

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #3107 on: 16 December, 2023, 08:21:00 pm »
Looking at some pictures of early motorcycles, I found this photo (among others) which has exactly the same frame shapes to accommodate a belt drive to the rear wheel. Early cyclemotors had a similar setup to accommodate a belt drive, with the engine located either in the main triangle of the bicycle or attached above the rear wheel behind the saddle.

See:

http://onlinebicyclemuseum.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/1902_Motorcycling_02-copy3.jpg

https://nationalmcmuseum.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/1912-indian-belt-drive-single_17.jpg

Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional A Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional A Circuit Commissaire
Cycling Attendant, York Sport Village Cycle Circuit and Velodrome

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3108 on: 31 December, 2023, 04:00:32 pm »
On Friday I saw what is probably the most unusual pedal cycle I've ever seen.
Firstly, a recumbent.
Secondly, a trike.
Thirdly, a delta layout rather than the more common tadpole.
Fourthly, and this is where it gets interesting, front wheel drive.
Fifthly, a fixie.
Sixthly, not just a fixie but pedals fixed directly to the front hub, penny farthing style. But with a much smaller wheel, so a gear of about 26".
Seventhly, just for completeness, the world's largest headlight (looked like a spotlight from a rally car) mounted on top of a small wooden box.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3109 on: 02 January, 2024, 08:27:21 am »
Firstly, a recumbent.
Secondly, a trike.
Fifthly, a fixie.
Sixthly, not just a fixie but pedals fixed directly to the front hub, penny farthing style. But with a much smaller wheel, so a gear of about 26".
Seventhly, just for completeness, the world's largest headlight (looked like a spotlight from a rally car) mounted on top of a small wooden box.
I saw it again yesterday, in the same place, and can now add an eight feature.
Eighthly, and we seem to be entering "just because we can" with this one, it has rear wheel steering. The front wheel is fixed in all senses (other than rotationally – I presume!). The steering is "leveraged" so that when you turn the under-seat bars to the left, the rear wheels turn to the right and you turn left.

That it's parked on the street in the same place a few days before New Year and on NYD makes me wonder who it belongs to. A local resident would be the obvious guess, but I've never seen it there before. So maybe a nearby employee who went out with colleagues on a New Year's lash and is going to ride it home, presumably, today. The two nearest businesses are Alpkit, who I'm sure have facilities for staff to keep bikes in, and a mistake agent... Could also be someone visiting nearby for Christmas-New Year, of course.

« Reply #3110 on: 12 January, 2024, 11:55:37 am »
Cycling to work today and passed a guy on what looked like a decent commuter bike. Looked at frame and was a univega which haven't heard of for a few years

« Reply #3111 on: 12 January, 2024, 02:00:26 pm »
Cycling to work today and passed a guy on what looked like a decent commuter bike. Looked at frame and was a univega which haven't heard of for a few years

Ooh, that's a blast from the past... late 90s/early 00s IIRC.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #3112 on: 12 January, 2024, 02:16:49 pm »
Firstly, a recumbent.
Secondly, a trike.
Fifthly, a fixie.
Eighthly, and we seem to be entering "just because we can" with this one, it has rear wheel steering. The front wheel is fixed in all senses (other than rotationally – I presume!). The steering is "leveraged" so that when you turn the under-seat bars to the left, the rear wheels turn to the right and you turn left.

That it's parked on the street in the same place a few days before New Year and on NYD makes me wonder who it belongs to. A local resident would be the obvious guess, but I've never seen it there before. So maybe a nearby employee who went out with colleagues on a New Year's lash and is going to ride it home, presumably, today. The two nearest businesses are Alpkit, who I'm sure have facilities for staff to keep bikes in, and a mistake agent... Could also be someone visiting nearby for Christmas-New Year, of course.

As it is fixed I guess the rider could turn it into a 'more normal' rear wheel drive, front steering recumbent tadpole trike with the cunning use of a mirror to see where they are going.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3113 on: 12 January, 2024, 04:39:28 pm »
Firstly, a recumbent.
Secondly, a trike.
Fifthly, a fixie.

As it is fixed I guess the rider could turn it into a 'more normal' rear wheel drive, front steering recumbent tadpole trike with the cunning use of a mirror to see where they are going.

That only works if you block out everything from your vision except what you see in the mirror.  Otherwise your head-branez get confused and you crash and it hurts.  Damjan Zabovnik used such a system to great effect in his Eivie series of streamliners; the late Gardner Martin's experimental unfaired trike was pretty much unrideable in an empty car park.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3114 on: 12 January, 2024, 04:50:06 pm »
Indeed. My hed-branez are in a whirl just imagining it.

« Reply #3115 on: 07 February, 2024, 08:55:15 am »
A trike at commuter time this morning. Going faster than the bus I was in, but I think the rear tyres were colour coded like RCA stereo connectors.

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

« Reply #3116 on: 07 February, 2024, 09:13:38 pm »

I still use a 1997 504 Univega MTB most weeks as a trailer hauling bike, and also have one with slick tyres as a tourer,  a 506 1996 model bought new in ‘97. My daughter still has the 502 model bought at the same time.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #3117 on: 12 February, 2024, 07:06:12 pm »
In a neighbour's garden.

IMG_6874_01 by The Pingus, on Flickr

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #3118 on: 12 February, 2024, 09:22:01 pm »
Last Sunday, cycling with the local CTC group heading out of Chichester, we passed someone on an Ordinary bike.  As in a Penny-Farthing.  Not sure I'd be going that fast on such a contraption knowing the potholes around here.  But he got a Chapeau from me.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

sam

« Reply #3119 on: 13 February, 2024, 11:38:04 am »
Last Sunday, cycling with the local CTC group heading out of Chichester, we passed someone on an Ordinary bike.  As in a Penny-Farthing.  Not sure I'd be going that fast on such a contraption knowing the potholes around here.  But he got a Chapeau from me.

Wouldn't the large front wheel be something of a prophylactic against potholes? Happy to be corrected by someone who has ridden one.

Afasoas

« Reply #3120 on: 15 February, 2024, 02:47:25 pm »
Out on last nights dog walk I saw an e-cargo bike ridden by a young woman with an infant stowed in some sort of carrier on the back. With what looked like yellow fairy lights strategically suspended on either side of it.

Surprised and pleased in equal measure to see one of those around these parts.

« Reply #3121 on: 20 February, 2024, 07:56:24 pm »
A casual dealer I know has an old delivery bike for sale He told me he knows it is pre-1893 because it has a cotter pin holding the bottom bracket bearing in place.  Wish I’d taken a picture now. Repainted unfortunately.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #3122 on: 29 February, 2024, 12:44:04 pm »
The other day I saw an old fashioned cargo trike, the ice cream vendor style. The handling looked to be a bit dodgy...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3123 on: 21 March, 2024, 10:08:04 am »
Yesterday, a motorized pedal cycle. A small petrol engine bolted to the downtube and driving either the cranks or back wheel (it went past behind me from a side road so I didn't get a good look). Not sure why someone would go for this rather than an electric conversion, but hey.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3124 on: 21 March, 2024, 11:32:57 am »
Yesterday, a motorized pedal cycle. A small petrol engine bolted to the downtube and driving either the cranks or back wheel (it went past behind me from a side road so I didn't get a good look). Not sure why someone would go for this rather than an electric conversion, but hey.

If it's one of those conversion kits from china, it drives the back wheel via a sprocket that clamps to the left side of the hub (disc brake mount, possibly).  They're cheaper than a decent sized battery.