Author Topic: Curry spices...  (Read 2912 times)

Curry spices...
« on: 04 January, 2018, 12:58:58 pm »
Where do people tend to source larger quantities of whole or ground spices from?
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Re: Curry spices...
« Reply #1 on: 04 January, 2018, 01:15:20 pm »
My local turkish or Indian shops, normally from SKS or the like

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #2 on: 04 January, 2018, 03:31:37 pm »
If you are in, or can visit an urban location, then just pop along to your nearest Asian Quatier.
Even the most ordinary grocer shops sell rice, spice etc in huge bags and at very reasonable prices.  I once bought a string of 12 garlic for the same price as I was paying for two at the supermarket.
I used to shop on the Soho Road in Birmingham, where as my son prefers Sparkbrook.  ( Or is it Sparkhill? I always confuse the two)
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #3 on: 04 January, 2018, 03:39:59 pm »
Where do people tend to source larger quantities of whole or ground spices from?
Can I ask whether you are catering on a large scale, AO?
The last time I looked, the word was that ground spices have a relatively short shelf life (they quickly lose their spicyness) , and buying a little and often is the perceived wisdom.

« Reply #4 on: 04 January, 2018, 03:49:27 pm »
Tooty Frooty ( otherwise known by us as “Hadley’s dad’s”) just off Kingsbury in Aylesbury. But only whole spices as ground loose potency fast. If  you cant get to a shop try https://www.spicesofindia.co.uk/.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #5 on: 04 January, 2018, 04:07:57 pm »
Haven’t tried it but the place on Hythe Bridge Street looks interesting and is local to you I think?

« Reply #6 on: 04 January, 2018, 05:11:13 pm »
Thanks all.  Nothing too grand a scale, but possibly several litres of base curry sauce on the cards (from new book) to freeze and use.   :)

ian

« Reply #7 on: 04 January, 2018, 06:00:25 pm »
Surely the pursuit of culinary authenticity would require you to fly out to Rajasthan in advance of your kitchen escapades to harvest any spices yourself (ensure you dry them in the tropical sun, any other sun is insufficient) and get a holy man to roast them (adds to the flavour). Only then can you fly home, on the eve of your meal, clutching your spices. Once home resist the urge to grind your spices until no more than five seconds before you put them in the pan and then only grind with genuine Himalayan stones.

It still, of course, won't taste the same as they have different gravity in India.

« Reply #8 on: 04 January, 2018, 06:56:42 pm »
I have these occasional curry-from-'first-principle' episodes...  ;)  Quite a few years ago I made an 'authentic' Jalfrezi, and with the left over chillis attempted a green thai paste, which I managed to spray up into my unprotected face when blending - couldn't open my eyes for a few minutes....   ;D

« Reply #9 on: 05 January, 2018, 07:36:40 pm »
My local turkish or Indian shops, normally from SKS or the like
Agree.  If there's a choice, one which also sells fresh coriander and Asian veg, is likely to have a better turnover of the dried spices due to popularity with customers of this stuff. 

Our local sells chili powder in 200g bags  :demon: 
I bought a bag intending its use as a feline deterrent in the garden, but after the friendly praised my selection of this 'better tasting' version over the much smaller but not much cheaper bag, I've been cooking with it and the cats got to carry on with their toiletries undisturbed.

dim

« Reply #10 on: 05 January, 2018, 09:58:23 pm »
Corriander seeds, Cumin seeds, fresh chilli, and fresh ginger ....

thats what my clients use as their base for curries.... (I have several clients who are from India and Pakistan and I have the most amazing curries including lamb aswell as vegetarin such as caulifflower, brinjal etc )

you can buy these in bulk from Tesco

curries are simple .... you don't need a load of spices .... but get whole spices, heat them up and grind them yourself
“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

« Reply #11 on: 31 January, 2018, 04:28:09 pm »
depends on the location of your local supermarket. One Asda near us has a couple of aisles of Indian foods - pulses/oils/herbs etc and the big one off the motorway doesnt. Likewise Tesco nr my  work has a big polish section yet the one nr. my home doesnt. we just go to our local Asian supermarket where all the spices/pulses come in small/med/large and coriander/mint etc is cheap for bunches (2 large bunches £1)

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #12 on: 31 January, 2018, 05:45:32 pm »
Bangalore. Whilst there, you could stay at the Savoury Business Hotel.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #13 on: 02 February, 2018, 12:58:32 am »
Most larger Asian stores will have most of it. Best to get in small batches and grind yourself.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium