Author Topic: Babboe recall  (Read 937 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Babboe recall
« Reply #1 on: 28 February, 2024, 04:35:17 pm »
There is no risk to the safety of consumers as long as they heed this warning.

I.e. the bikes are perfectly safe as long as you don't ride them  ;D
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #2 on: 29 February, 2024, 08:19:40 pm »
 :o Glad I managed to persuade my wife we should get a Chike instead. (Touch wood - it should turn up next week, and I'm really hoping I've not just tempted fate...)

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #3 on: 01 March, 2024, 08:21:29 pm »
Belatedly, Raleigh have today issued a press release:

"As the distributor for Babboe in the UK, we want to provide you with an update following the announcements on February 15th regarding the temporary halt of the sale of all Babboe cargo bike models and the subsequent stop-ride notice issued on the 19th of February, covering the Babboe Cargo Bikes listed below.

The following cargo bike models are involved:
•   Babboe City Mountain
•   Babboe Curve / Curve-E / Curve Mountain
•   Babboe Big / Big-E
•   Babboe Dog / Dog-E
•   Babboe Max-E
•   Babboe Mini Mountain
•   Babboe Pro Trike / Trike-E / Trike XL
•   Babboe Carve-E / Carve Mountain
•   Babboe Flow-E / Flow Mountain
•   Babboe Go-E / Go Mountain
•   Babboe Slim Mountain
•   Babboe Mini/Mini-E
•   Babboe City/City-E

As a precaution, we have also stopped the sales of both the Raleigh Pro e-cargo bike and the Raleigh Pro e-cargo trike, and asked for consumers and businesses to stop riding whilst a comprehensive review is undertaken. These are the only models within the Raleigh distribution portfolio that share a Babboe platform. Both the Raleigh Stride 2 and Stride 3 e-cargo bikes, along with all other Raleigh, Haibike and Lapierre models, are completely unaffected, and can be both sold and ridden.

Please be assured that Raleigh takes the safety of our customers extremely seriously, and we are supporting Babboe and liaising with the relevant UK authorities on the current issues in order to establish what action is required. We want to ensure that any remedial steps, including potential recalls, can be taken swiftly and in the best interest of our shared customers in the UK.

Until the process is complete, and we are provided further information from Babboe we cannot provide a more detailed update.
In the interim, we ask that you follow the advice: please do not sell these products, and inform customers not to use their bicycles.

Thank you for your support in this matter."
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #4 on: 01 March, 2024, 08:55:02 pm »
The potential claims for costs due to 'loss of utility' could be huge  - I'm sure the example in the Guardian report of 40-50 euros a day in taxi fares is not exceptional.
Dunno how deep Babbo's pockets are.. I expect not very..

« Reply #5 on: 02 March, 2024, 06:19:46 am »
That was my first thought too. I didn't much like their products (but only from the narrow view of my own wants/needs), but it would be a massive shame if they didn't survive. I hope they have good product liability insurance in place.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #6 on: 02 March, 2024, 06:52:22 am »
The potential claims for costs due to 'loss of utility' could be huge  - I'm sure the example in the Guardian report of 40-50 euros a day in taxi fares is not exceptional.
Dunno how deep Babbo's pockets are.. I expect not very..

Like Raleigh, Babboe is a subsidiary of Accell Group, bought in 2018.  Should be big enough for the claims, although the investment bank owners won't be happy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accell
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein