Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2462794 times)

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
Re: On the commute today
« Reply #19975 on: 02 November, 2017, 06:51:31 pm »
A good run in this morning, or so I thought.

Came out at hometime to find the back tyre flat, presumably a slow puncture. That's the first one for more than a year. I found a couple of sharp bits in the road surface of the tyre but they didn't appear to have got through to the inner (the tyre is a Kevlar one), so is ot possible the inner has just worn out over time?
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #19976 on: 03 November, 2017, 01:25:12 pm »
Recognised the 'tick tick ticking' from the back wheel as a puncture about to happen. On checking, the flint came out easily enough, but was probably big enough to have punctured the inner tube had I left it in place much longer.

;D

A driver on the opposite side flashed his headlights in a pattern meant (I think) to mimic my flashing LED. I suspect he was objecting to my flashing light.
the snowflake.
I don't think it was a complaint that the light was too bright/in his eyes because the angle is set quite carefully to avoid that (except when the geography of the road causes the beam to be higher than normal, which wasn't the case here).
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #19977 on: 03 November, 2017, 01:46:24 pm »
Might have just been doing it 'for the lols', I suppose.

Though my general experience of bicycle lights is that even off-axis they often appear as an obnoxiously high-glare point source, simply because the lens area is so small.  Short of going back to Never Readies, I don't think you can win that one.

« Reply #19978 on: 03 November, 2017, 06:17:58 pm »
So either our lights too bright or we’re not bright enough! Absolute tools!

« Reply #19979 on: 04 November, 2017, 10:39:57 am »
Recognised the 'tick tick ticking' from the back wheel as a puncture about to happen. On checking, the flint came out easily enough, but was probably big enough to have punctured the inner tube had I left it in place much longer.

;D

A driver on the opposite side flashed his headlights in a pattern meant (I think) to mimic my flashing LED. I suspect he was objecting to my flashing light.
the snowflake.
I don't think it was a complaint that the light was too bright/in his eyes because the angle is set quite carefully to avoid that (except when the geography of the road causes the beam to be higher than normal, which wasn't the case here).

Think positive, he saw you and I guess that’s what we want to achieve. I had a walker moan at me recently when I rang my bell to warn of my approach (from behind), she complained I scared her. There are times you just can’t win

A

Paul

« Reply #19980 on: 04 November, 2017, 01:44:01 pm »
Think positive, he saw you and I guess that’s what we want to achieve.
Indeed.

I had a walker moan at me recently when I rang my bell to warn of my approach (from behind), she complained I scared her. There are times you just can’t win
A
Yep. Shared use paths. It doesn't matter whether it's my friendliest 'hello' or my loveliest bell, some people will jump. I think it's just surprise. My best approach to this is freewheeling on the bike with the loudest pawls/ratchets in the freehub. But even that isn't foolproof. Some people wear earphones that almost require you to nudge them.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #19981 on: 04 November, 2017, 01:49:57 pm »
I had a walker moan at me recently when I rang my bell to warn of my approach (from behind), she complained I scared her. There are times you just can’t win
A
Yep. Shared use paths. It doesn't matter whether it's my friendliest 'hello' or my loveliest bell, some people will jump. I think it's just surprise. My best approach to this is freewheeling on the bike with the loudest pawls/ratchets in the freehub. But even that isn't foolproof. Some people wear earphones that almost require you to nudge them.

There's a section near me that's got "Share with care, keep dogs on leads, cyclists ring your bell" (or words to that effect) signs.  Those are good, because it means that pedestrians don't perceive the bell-ringing as aggressive, but complying with instructions.  Obviously they don't always hear it, and some will still startle.

In general, I prefer mechanical noises to bell-ringing, particularly at close range.  Sometimes I'll flick a brake lever or deliberately crunch a gear change.

« Reply #19982 on: 04 November, 2017, 03:08:45 pm »
In general, I prefer mechanical noises to bell-ringing, particularly at close range.  Sometimes I'll flick a brake lever or deliberately crunch a gear change.
If I'm going out of my way to make a noise then ..........

It'sig chainring + HSD in overdrive mode + Rohloff in the low half of the gears, pref 4th-7th.

The whole drive then resonates and sounds like an electric motor.
Don't normally run in that mode as I'm using every epicyclic gear I've got and the extra drag is a killer in the long run.

« Reply #19983 on: 06 November, 2017, 08:32:21 am »
Definitely a bit brisk this morning.  I had to find long tights, a fleece jacket, gloves ...

I would have worn my winter MTB shoes too, but forgot that they've got SPD cleats on them, whereas the commuter has egg beaters.  My feet have almost warmed back up!  I need to swap pedals and cleats around.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Paul

« Reply #19984 on: 06 November, 2017, 01:20:17 pm »
I actually like getting my cold weather gear out. I really like having the right stuff for all weathers. It's taken me years to get it right, so it's nice to get to use it all. My preferred fleece is probably 20 years old, maybe more, but it works very well in combination with my other bits and pieces. In truth, it's not as warm as it used to be, but I have worked around that with improved supplementary layers.

I don't think I can imagine life without it.

Anyway, lovely sunny ride in. And isn't it funny how cold weather (or wet, or windy, or any) seems to make cars go slower? I remember someone (here) saying "People using their cars like umbrellas". It's so true, but not just for rain. They use them like a whole wardrobe.

And don't get me started on weather people going on about scraping windscreens as though there's no other way to travel.

« Reply #19985 on: 06 November, 2017, 01:43:50 pm »
I remember someone (here) saying "People using their cars like umbrellas". It's so true, but not just for rain. They use them like a whole wardrobe.

Wasn't it the guy who designed Stevenage's cycle network who said it originally? Or something very much like it. IIRC he also observed 'motorists have no logic', not a lot seems to have changed in 40 odd years. 

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #19986 on: 06 November, 2017, 01:47:51 pm »
It's something I've said on here before, but I'm not going to claim it as an original idea.

A few years ago Birmingham had an ill-fated[1] Boris-car scheme, and one of their advertising posters specifically compared the hire cars to an umbrella.

[1] It was no cheaper than a taxi, used Smart cars that were too small to usefully carry stuff, and they hadn't anticipated the "strong culture of private motoring".

« Reply #19987 on: 06 November, 2017, 02:06:40 pm »
 :facepalm:

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #19988 on: 06 November, 2017, 06:53:54 pm »
"Claxton was chief engineer of Stevenage for the ten years until 1972. He poured scorn on those who chose motor cars rather than bicycles, complaining that motorists “seem to have a problem with their logic” because “they use their cars as shopping baskets; or use them as overcoats.”
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Paul

« Reply #19989 on: 06 November, 2017, 08:24:48 pm »
"Claxton was chief engineer of Stevenage for the ten years until 1972. He poured scorn on those who chose motor cars rather than bicycles, complaining that motorists “seem to have a problem with their logic” because “they use their cars as shopping baskets; or use them as overcoats.”
Excellent. Thank you Mr L.

« Reply #19990 on: 07 November, 2017, 08:32:47 am »
I actually like getting my cold weather gear out. I really like having the right stuff for all weathers. It's taken me years to get it right, so it's nice to get to use it all. My preferred fleece is probably 20 years old, maybe more, but it works very well in combination with my other bits and pieces. In truth, it's not as warm as it used to be, but I have worked around that with improved supplementary layers. ...

True enough, but I prefer it when I'm getting my hot weather gear out. ;D
Actually, it is rocket science.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #19991 on: 07 November, 2017, 11:18:09 am »
I've wimped out this week :-[
Getting there...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #19992 on: 07 November, 2017, 07:31:01 pm »
Very wet trip home.  This is when a coaster brake is a godsend.  Amazing number of dog-walking drongoes all over the psyclepaths despite the rain...and bike bells don't work when wet (the water drops literally damp the sound).
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #19993 on: 09 November, 2017, 06:53:42 pm »
Three really nasty close passes this morning - about a foot in one case - at speed.  WTF!?  That's more close passes in one trip than in the previous 18 months.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #19994 on: 10 November, 2017, 09:07:19 am »
Whichever authority authorised the overnight construction of security banners on the embankment cycle highway need fucking shooting. There's no signage to let you know that some twats have put them there overnight.

They've done it before and removed it so it only to protect Theresa May from the baying mobs so hopefully it'll be gone tonight.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #19995 on: 10 November, 2017, 01:16:25 pm »
^ Remembrance Sunday innit.
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

Paul

« Reply #19996 on: 10 November, 2017, 01:55:22 pm »
Three really nasty close passes this morning - about a foot in one case - at speed.  WTF!?  That's more close passes in one trip than in the previous 18 months.
Had you deployed a cloaking device?

It's horrible when it happens once. I have to fight the urge to ride in the gutter, and I'm usually a bundle of nerves for a bit. Three of them would probably have me walking.

« Reply #19997 on: 10 November, 2017, 02:54:05 pm »
^ Remembrance Sunday innit.

Fair enough but they were no signs, no warnings and a lot of cyclists were speeding and slowing down erratically to slip into a single file procession. Really badly thought out  as well lacking in foresight.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #19998 on: 10 November, 2017, 06:31:18 pm »
Had you deployed a cloaking device?

It's horrible when it happens once. I have to fight the urge to ride in the gutter, and I'm usually a bundle of nerves for a bit. Three of them would probably have me walking.
When it happens which is very rare I'm usually too busy being enraged to the point of apoplexy for there to be any time to be scared.  I'm lucky, nearly all the drivers on my route give me breathing space, sometimes they pass a bit closer than I'd like, but not usually out and out bloody dangerous.

Cloaking device? If you can call 3 very bright tail lamps all running in "maximum attention" mode and a hideous hi-vis rucksack cover with reflective tabs all over it inconspicuous then yeah I was "cloaked".  :)

Strange how the, I don't know how many, other, but it was $LOTS, drivers managed to give me 3 or more feet.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #19999 on: 10 November, 2017, 07:07:14 pm »
TBH, I don't think close passes are a result of drivers failing to see you.  They've seen you and correctly judged the exact amount of room that probably won't result in their vehicle actually touching you.

Ignorance, sure.  Malice, occasionally.  Failure to anticipate, quite often.  But not so much failure to see.