Author Topic: The Dark Side?  (Read 5348 times)

mAsTa RiDaH

The Dark Side?
« on: 12 November, 2010, 05:33:10 pm »
How did this phrase come about?

It's just, that it somewhat irks me when you get people refering to riding a recumbent as 'going  over' to the dark side. To rub salt in the wounds some then look at you on a 'bent, as though not following the status quo when it comes to DF bike riding is to be laughed upon.

Well apologies my DF riding 'buddies' but the fact of the matter is that recumbents are every way the element of cycling perfection over your stupid arse contraptions that a throwback to the very early days of getting around on two wheels that are human powered.

Recumbents are the ultimate way of riding a bike, more comfort, far more efficient, utilises stronger leg muscles giving you more power. No to mention that to ride a low racer well requires more skill then riding an upright bike

DF bikes only exist because the UCI is to shit scared to integrate 'bent riders into the main UCI calender. Because anyone who's everyone knows that everyone would ride a bent and thus the DF market which is (imo) a very loose oligopoly would cease to exist - and at such the DF bike would be put into a museum.

Recumbent bikes - perfection

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: The Dark Side?
« Reply #1 on: 12 November, 2010, 06:33:38 pm »
It's got to be a tongue-in-cheek Star Wars reference, hasn't it?

Great as my enthusiasm for recumbents is, I don't think it's just the UCI keeping DF bikes alive, they do seem genuinely better suited to certain types of cycling - eg. mucking about in traffic and off-road riding, where speed and endurance are secondary to control and manoeuvrability.

« Reply #2 on: 12 November, 2010, 08:19:50 pm »
It's got to be a tongue-in-cheek Star Wars reference, hasn't it?

I assume so.  After all, who was really, truly more cool, Darth Vader or Luke Skywalker?
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3 on: 12 November, 2010, 08:24:04 pm »
Ask Mr Larrington about this.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #4 on: 12 November, 2010, 10:19:54 pm »
Except that the dark side is not the be-all and end-all of cycling.  Despite my enjoyment of recumbents, it's blatantly obvious that different bikes are better at different things, recumbents are only good at some uses.  It's also obvious that you're trolling again.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Arellcat

• Velonautte
« Reply #5 on: 12 November, 2010, 11:15:36 pm »
Except that the dark side is not the be-all and end-all of cycling.

+1, as they say.  A 9ft recumbent is quite the machine for tooling across the country, or the town, but would tend to raise eyebrows if one took it into a restaurant or gift shop.  A stupid arse Brompton, for example, neatly compliments the utility.

I think that we sometimes forget that upright bikes are the default, and most of us learned to ride one of them first.  Consequently the learned control has had more time to develop to become automatic.

As for The Dark Side, there's generally a degree of enthusiastic self-deprecation involved.
Quote from: Morningsider
I like that you think any of your conveyances might qualify as "a disguise".

mAsTa RiDaH

« Reply #6 on: 13 November, 2010, 08:20:24 am »
Except that the dark side is not the be-all and end-all of cycling.

+1, as they say.  A 9ft recumbent is quite the machine for tooling across the country, or the town, but would tend to raise eyebrows if one took it into a restaurant or gift shop.  A stupid arse Brompton, for example, neatly compliments the utility.

I think that we sometimes forget that upright bikes are the default, and most of us learned to ride one of them first.  Consequently the learned control has had more time to develop to become automatic.

As for The Dark Side, there's generally a degree of enthusiastic self-deprecation involved.

I use a lock.

mAsTa RiDaH

« Reply #7 on: 13 November, 2010, 08:23:06 am »
Except that the dark side is not the be-all and end-all of cycling.  Despite my enjoyment of recumbents, it's blatantly obvious that different bikes are better at different things, recumbents are only good at some uses.  It's also obvious that you're trolling again.

So what things are better on an upright then on a 'bent?

I'm pretty sure that if I had a trike, low racer and a SWB e.g an Optima Lynx. Then this pretty much covers every aspect of riding that there is.

Edit: I also suggest Wendy that you look at the history of recumbents. It is all down to the UCI and being lobbied (back then) by the major cycling companies. I'm not trolling merely stating facts.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #8 on: 13 November, 2010, 08:37:12 am »
1) Overtaking the queue of kiss-n-ride cars at a station, folding one's Brommie in 10 seconds, onto the train and ... relax.

2) Technical knarly single-track off-road.

3) Danny MacAskill's stunts in the streets and walkways of Edinburgh would have been WAY more impressive on a 'bent, but also sadly impossible.

I have both 'bents and uprights, and use the 'bents for "Sunday best", and the uprights for the working week.   Except today (Saturday) when I need to take the Brompton out for work porpoises.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

mAsTa RiDaH

« Reply #9 on: 13 November, 2010, 09:03:23 am »
1) Overtaking the queue of kiss-n-ride cars at a station, folding one's Brommie in 10 seconds, onto the train and ... relax.

2) Technical knarly single-track off-road.

3) Danny MacAskill's stunts in the streets and walkways of Edinburgh would have been WAY more impressive on a 'bent, but also sadly impossible.

I have both 'bents and uprights, and use the 'bents for "Sunday best", and the uprights for the working week.   Except today (Saturday) when I need to take the Brompton out for work porpoises.

1) There now folding bents which you can take on the train

2) I've seen vids on YouTube of 'bents going off-road

3) Fair enough, but you are talking about a niche type of riding and an elite rider. It's impossible to compare.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #10 on: 13 November, 2010, 09:59:33 am »
1 and 2, uprights do them better though.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #11 on: 13 November, 2010, 10:07:49 am »
your stupid arse contraptions

What a pointlessly aggressive comment.

It is quite possible to make your point without overly aggressive stuff like this. It is obvious that you feel passionate about this, but an outsider might think that you have allowed a misreading of the 'Dark Side' moniker to ride roughshod over one of the central tenets of the forum.   
It is simpler than it looks.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #12 on: 13 November, 2010, 10:10:46 am »

It is quite possible to make your point without overly aggressive stuff like this. It is obvious that you feel passionate about this, but an outsider might think that you have allowed a misreading of the 'Dark Side' moniker to ride roughshod over one of the central tenets of the forum.   

Either that - or he's just a trolling knob...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Arellcat

• Velonautte
« Reply #13 on: 13 November, 2010, 10:20:50 am »

There's an app thread for that.
Quote from: Morningsider
I like that you think any of your conveyances might qualify as "a disguise".

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #14 on: 13 November, 2010, 12:14:15 pm »
One of my other obsess^H^H^H^H pass times is archery, where there are a number of different disciplines. In recent years technology has improved the humble stick and string into a technological marvel, and at some point a slightly deranged man (probably) decided to had pulleys to gain mechanical advantage. The new fangled contraptions have evolved into very high tech devices capable of shooting arrows at over 350 feet per second (Its a leftpondian dominated sport) and are way more accurate than even the carbon fibre reinforced stick and kevlar string I use. We, in the archery world refer to the users of these devices of Satan as Dark Siders, and the whole of Compound (for that is it's official monicker) archery as the Dark Side.

In comparing the two sports (that of cycling and that of archery) it can be seen that these new fangled contraptions, the Recumbent cycle and the Compound bow, started to become popular in the eighties (yes, I know the velocar is older) and both were viewed with some suspicion by the incumbent population. Both were seen as as subversive to the main cultures they were in, and so by association with subversion, became cool. Youth likes cool. Youth also liked Star-wars in the eighties, and wanting to be seen as uber cool, and because the main stream viewed them as heathens, Youth decided to adopt the Dark Side as a title for their sub-culture. Youth, being a bit lacking in the experience field, also thought they were being unique and witty. Youth never learns :)
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

mAsTa RiDaH

« Reply #15 on: 13 November, 2010, 12:43:28 pm »

Sorry, but I've rode long distances on a 'bent (216 miles) and an upright (154 miles) and I can say from my experience that the bent was a joy to ride. Nothing ached at the end of the ride and I woke the next morning with a slight twinge behind my right knee. On the upright I was a broken man, taken apart by the cruel mistress that was (I've stripped the bastard thing down now) my old DF bike.

Recumbents are the way forward, that's all I'm saying.

I don't see how I'm trolling when I've posted this in (forget Dark Side) 'The bit where rider, bike and elegance become one'. It's not like I've posted this in the racing section.

mAsTa RiDaH

« Reply #16 on: 13 November, 2010, 12:44:17 pm »

Reg..forget it. ::-)

« Reply #17 on: 13 November, 2010, 12:55:16 pm »
I don't see how I'm trolling

Everyone else can  ;D

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #18 on: 13 November, 2010, 01:46:24 pm »
Except that the dark side is not the be-all and end-all of cycling.  Despite my enjoyment of recumbents, it's blatantly obvious that different bikes are better at different things, recumbents are only good at some uses. 

When Wendy is saying this, you need to take it seriously, Mister Rider.

I'm feeling a little more charitably inclined.  Some people tend to take to each new cause or pursuit with evangelical zeal, treating the unenlightened with all the radiant scorn of the convert.  Mister Rider seems more like one of those.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

« Reply #19 on: 13 November, 2010, 02:43:37 pm »

Popping up on a thread with which you have no real interest just to call someone a 'knob', and make no other contribution, is as close to trolling as it comes

« Reply #20 on: 13 November, 2010, 03:07:26 pm »
2) I've seen vids on YouTube of 'bents going off-road

I imagine relatively sanitised stuff, yer average bridleway, or smooth BSX runs. Anything twisty or more technical where you need to move your bodyweight around the bike, lift the front over obstacles, dropoffs etc you'd stand more chance on even a road bike.

Re 'dark side' - you often see the term used on mtb forums about road bikes, tho' some people (ie mtbrs) seem to get their arse in their hand about it 'cos they think it's being childish. Dunno why they take so much umbrage..

Horses, courses, etc.

« Reply #21 on: 13 November, 2010, 04:24:54 pm »
Recumbents are fun, practical and do everything that is needed for me.

My Catrike, and Street Machine tour, shop, commute and do light off road.

So will the Brompton, the Airnimal, Thorn Nomad, or any of my other bikes.

Quite often I will be on a tour withthe THorn and think "This is real Catrike country with these long sweeping bends" Equally I will be on a track with the Airnimal and think that the ride would be better on the THorn

The great thing is diversity and we should celebrate that.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #22 on: 13 November, 2010, 04:47:30 pm »

Popping up on a thread with which you have no real interest just to call someone a 'knob', and make no other contribution, is as close to trolling as it comes

What makes you think that I have no real interest in recumbents?
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

mAsTa RiDaH

« Reply #23 on: 15 November, 2010, 11:45:01 am »

What makes you think that I have no real interest in recumbents?

Do you and have you ever ridden any?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #24 on: 15 November, 2010, 11:47:57 am »
I've just checked; the search facility still works.
Getting there...