Author Topic: Stopping smoking: when?  (Read 68511 times)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Re: Stopping smoking: when?
« Reply #275 on: 20 August, 2013, 09:23:51 pm »
Well done Regulator, on completing a year!

I'm not doing too bad, though it's fair to say I do get more urges to grab a cig than I'd like at this point. Reassuringly, the few occasions when I've "slipped" have not been enjoyable.

Thanks for the thoughts, Marbeaux, but the pipe not a route I intend to go down for various reasons right now, mainly because I need to get away from the whole business of smoking anything.
You could get Riggers to 'shop a photo of you with a pipe and see if it suits you.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #276 on: 20 August, 2013, 09:37:00 pm »
Well done Regulator, on completing a year!

I'm not doing too bad, though it's fair to say I do get more urges to grab a cig than I'd like at this point. Reassuringly, the few occasions when I've "slipped" have not been enjoyable.

Thanks for the thoughts, Marbeaux, but the pipe not a route I intend to go down for various reasons right now, mainly because I need to get away from the whole business of smoking anything.
You could get Riggers to 'shop a photo of you with a pipe and see if it suits you.
Suits you, Sir!  :P

« Reply #277 on: 21 August, 2013, 03:57:17 am »
The other road is  too hilly for most people to take. I tried it for 50 years and made no progress except to increase the associated health risks. Some have already come home to roost which annoys me that I didn't succeed in my earlier attempts to kick the weeds out.

Best of luck for you a.s.a.p.

"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #278 on: 21 August, 2013, 11:56:01 am »
I forgot to mark it but on 9 August I passed the milestone of a year smoke free.
Congratulations, Regulator, here's to many more!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #279 on: 22 August, 2013, 06:16:31 pm »
Yes indeed Regulator, that is wonderful news. I don't remember if you told us how you did it? Any special involved? Please tell.
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #280 on: 30 August, 2013, 04:34:48 am »
Nicely done sir :)
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #281 on: 19 September, 2013, 03:42:47 pm »
Lapsed while moving house last week / over the weekend  >:( Bah.

Back on track now.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #282 on: 20 September, 2013, 12:28:15 am »
Count the ones you DON'T SMOKE, not the few you do :thumbsup:
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

Chris N

« Reply #283 on: 20 September, 2013, 06:30:04 am »
No big deal. Move on, forget about it.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #284 on: 20 September, 2013, 09:13:09 am »

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #285 on: 02 January, 2014, 12:09:28 pm »
Giving this thread a bit of CPR. I have, so far, managed a week and a half without cigs, and 3 days without any NRT.

I feel like shit, right now, but can feel the benefits to come.

Hope I can keep it up once I am back at work .
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #286 on: 02 January, 2014, 12:47:27 pm »
Good luck TM  :thumbsup:

Pedaldog.

• The Madcap!
« Reply #287 on: 02 January, 2014, 07:23:35 pm »
Go for it Tiermat. I wish you well in your task :thumbsup:
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #288 on: 08 January, 2014, 09:32:39 pm »
Go for it TM you can do it.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #289 on: 08 January, 2014, 10:15:52 pm »
stick at Tiermat, I hope the recent car crash hasn't caused you to regress to smoking. :thumbsup:

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #290 on: 09 January, 2014, 08:50:11 am »
Funny you should mention that, matthew, as, yes, I have fallen off the wagon again and am desperately trying to grab a rope to climb back on.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #291 on: 09 January, 2014, 09:00:06 am »
gave up 20 + years ago, was 20-30 a day, mostly social.  Didn't want to 'run out ' and then want one more, so I bought a packet of 20, had about 3, then went round the pub and handed the rest out to folks,telling them I'd just quit, so they were all gone. That way I had ' given away' my fags, not run out, and it was MY choice to do so. That was it, never smoked again, not even 'puff'

« Reply #292 on: 09 January, 2014, 09:15:57 am »
Funny you should mention that, matthew, as, yes, I have fallen off the wagon again and am desperately trying to grab a rope to climb back on.

Understandable, however you had made a decission based on your own good reasons don't let the stupidity and inattentiveness of the idiot driver cause you to forget those. I can't see a personal injury claim for lung cancer due to restarting smoking after the accident getting much credence in court.  :demon:

Good luck with stopping again.  :thumbsup:

Si_Co

« Reply #293 on: 30 September, 2014, 10:31:02 am »
Threadromancy!

Well now is the answer, its been over a week since my last one and only 2 days where I've smoked in the last 2 weeks.

So using lozenges as NRT (one a day) and its not been too bad this time, but I want this now.

Pro's:

Waking up in the morning not feeling like there's a baby elephant sat on my chest who has taken a dump in my mouth is the best bit I think
I'm faster , much faster, averages are back over 30kph and Strava says I'm 3rd fastest out of nearly 3000 on one segment to work  :o  (there may have been drafting here  ;) )
Energy levels are way up.

Cons:

Insomnia - I'm a natural insomniac but need this to ease off, its only possible to survive on 2 to 3 hrs per night for so long
Hunger - god I'm hungry, going to take some effort to figure out how much is due to the lack of smoking and how much is due to the increased output. Just have to see how this goes.

On the whole it's going well this time.

« Reply #294 on: 30 September, 2014, 10:34:49 am »
Good luck, Si!

Chris S

« Reply #295 on: 30 September, 2014, 10:54:43 am »
 :thumbsup:

« Reply #296 on: 30 September, 2014, 11:19:07 am »
Get that first month out of the way and you have cracked it.  :thumbsup:
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Pedaldog.

• The Madcap!
« Reply #297 on: 30 September, 2014, 11:28:02 pm »
Good Luck Si_co, N+ 1, or more, likes you Not Smoking!

« Reply #298 on: 01 October, 2014, 12:48:37 am »
Congratulations and well dones to all that have successfully quit. Good luck and keep trying to all that wish to. It's so very worth it.

Six years ago today, in my early 40s, I had a stroke. Lots of contributing factors, but smoking was definitely one of them. I'd been meaning, half-heartedly trying, to quit for ages, of course. As I lay in a hospital bed, a neurologist told me to quit smoking or I would likely have more strokes, worse, or die. I never smoked again. I was very lucky, recovered well, and now only have slight loss of sensation in my right extremities. If you want to quit, please don't be me - quit now.

Si_Co

« Reply #299 on: 19 October, 2014, 09:37:09 pm »
So giving up makes your legs hurt, previously climbing was limited by oxygen access.

Didn't get dropped on the climbs by my younger fitter mate today :thumbsup: