Author Topic: Can we have more 100s for wimps like me?  (Read 4140 times)

Glosbiker

• Gentleman Antiquarian
Can we have more 100s for wimps like me?
« on: 02 April, 2008, 11:52:10 am »

For those of us just taking our first tentative steps into long distance cycling (i.e. me!) the prospect of a 200km route is too daunting at present (to be fair any distance is too daunting currently due to a distinctly unhappy left knee).

Having looked at Audax UK there does seem to be a relative dearth of 100/150 km routes which would be ample for most beginners I suspecvt or am I missing something?

Also there's definitely a dearth of rides in the West Country once we get past April - can we have some later in the year, please?
Question everything, accept nothing.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Re: Can we have more 100s for wimps like me?
« Reply #1 on: 02 April, 2008, 11:57:39 am »
I know it's not the West Country, but NYDA run a 50/100 in September (starts in Ripon)

HTH
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #2 on: 02 April, 2008, 12:01:45 pm »
"The premier long distance cyclists' association in the UK" puts on a lot of 100k rides

I agree that there aren't any in your area in late May or the whole of June but they start to pick up again in July

Maybe you could organise a couple next year to take up the slack

I'm not going to get into the whole "100km isn't long distance" thing.  1) AUK run 100km rides 2) they are popular 3) to some people ( ie with bad knees or over 70 or a medical condition) 100km is about the long distance limit and a real achievement

LEE

« Reply #3 on: 02 April, 2008, 01:08:54 pm »
You are about an hour from me by car.  That opens up:

The Faccombe 100 (just south of Newbury)
The Kingsworthy Rides like Wateership Down 100 & Winton 100 (Right on A34 north of Winchester)
The Wilton (Salisbury) rides
East Oakley (Basingstoke) 100

I bet you could drive to those in an hour

Glosbiker

• Gentleman Antiquarian
« Reply #4 on: 03 April, 2008, 10:25:24 am »
If my knee sorts itself out by then, I think I'll have a go at the Wilton 100 - I suspect I might know a few people doing it.

« Reply #5 on: 04 April, 2008, 07:05:10 pm »
If you come north there are the Tamworth rides to consider about 1hr 15min from you.

a 150 on the 17th May and a 100 on the 9th August.

Geoff
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #6 on: 04 April, 2008, 07:36:43 pm »
.... and don't forget the MacRide at Stratford-upon-Avon on 7 Sept - not an "official" Audax but a great 100km ride - it's all at www.macride.org.uk  with online entry

Rob

bikenerd

« Reply #7 on: 05 April, 2008, 11:58:13 am »
How's the knee?  If it's up to a non-hilly (only 600m of climbing) Audax next Sunday why not come along to the Harlequin Hack 100km near Oxford?  Just get the A40 to Witney and then head south towards Newbridge, turn left just before the bridge to Northmoor.  Must be less than an hour? :)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #8 on: 05 April, 2008, 01:06:29 pm »
If you fancy trying out 100km, I'll happily join up for a ride. I did quite a few last year and only 3 were Audaxes, 1 was my organised ride and 1 was with windy in Harris.

I'm desperately in need of some longer rides now.

Yours,

Fat and flabby.

(looks for the blobby smilie)
It is simpler than it looks.

Glosbiker

• Gentleman Antiquarian
« Reply #9 on: 05 April, 2008, 01:08:56 pm »
The strappings off the knee but I'm going to give it at least another couple of weeks before I get on a bike.

I'm very frustrated both the Faccombe and the Harlequin take place whilst I'm hors de combat as they're both local for me.

I shall certianly look to do the MacRide in Sept.

Jaded, I shall certainly be up for some 100s around here; I just need to get this knee sorted.  Too much too soon. apparently.  So the flab's returning to me too. I'll be in contact with you soon.

Cheers to you all

LEE

« Reply #10 on: 05 April, 2008, 03:13:46 pm »
The strappings off the knee but I'm going to give it at least another couple of weeks before I get on a bike.

I'm very frustrated both the Faccombe and the Harlequin take place whilst I'm hors de combat as they're both local for me.

Faccombe Haul would be a bad ride to test your knee for sure.