Author Topic: Giant Revive  (Read 15171 times)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Giant Revive
« on: 10 July, 2012, 12:16:31 am »
There are a couple on the *bay at the moment. One 8 speed the other is electric/assist.

What is the opinion of the panel on these? (I've always had a secret hankering for one) I think they're funky and attractive but I'm not sure of the seating position. Is it sufficiently 'recumbent'? How do they 'do' hills? There is an outside chance of employment getting nearer home - well within normal cycling distance - but possibly based around Oldham and, bugger me, it's lumpy! I've ridden a Flevo with similar seating, the OK, but nothing else bar my own and a couple of trikes way back. I like the compact LWB concept but I can't be sure if this qualifies.

Don't hold back. Tell me warts and all.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Re: Giant Revive
« Reply #1 on: 10 July, 2012, 09:16:29 am »
Dunno about this bike specifically, but in answer to whether it is a 'recumbent': It's more a "crank forward".  Googling for that might provide you with a bit more information about general performance.  Beyond that it depends what you want it for.

wrt 'sufficiently recumbent'.  If you mean aerodynamics then it looks pretty much bolt vertical body.  i.e. about as bad as you can possibly get.  But if that isn't what you want then it doesn't matter!

My guess would be that the body position (neither weight over the pedals nor lying down to push on a full seat) and with rear suss, it might be bloody slow up hills.  But I could be completely wrong.  :P

On the other hand if you want to pootle along in comfort with a really good view of the world, it might be ace.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2 on: 10 July, 2012, 10:39:50 am »
When it came out Giant vociferously maintained that it wasn't a recumbent and I agree.  I personally would have no lorry with it.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3 on: 10 July, 2012, 10:57:54 am »
TBH, this is sounding like trying to find a purchasing solution to a perceived problem.

The truth is that the hills will hurt, a bit, but that pain will go.

Go look in your shed, find a bike you like riding (the Gary Fisher for instance), make it commute worthy, and just ride it :)

HTH
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #4 on: 10 July, 2012, 11:01:00 am »
And remember that all bikes come with a 24" gear
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #5 on: 10 July, 2012, 01:46:46 pm »
I had the opportunity to try them when they were produced. I found the seat painful, riding position uncomfortable, the bike was heavy and the handling woolly.

I bought my CLWB M5 for not-much-more-than-the-starting-price of those 2 on Ebay:

The non-electric Revive has those plastic-covers-for-the-spokes-that look-like alloy-wheels  :sick:

If you're thinking about the electric one, then a mobility scooter will give you more street cred'  :demon:

If you're after a
chance of employment getting nearer home - well within normal cycling distance.

Then you need a normal bicycle, don't you.  ::-)
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 10 July, 2012, 02:27:40 pm »
Worst of both worlds.  Heavy *and* crap aerodynamics.

This sort of bike has its niche, and that's mostly as a pootling about bike for people who for whatever reason can't get on with saddles or standard bike geometry, but lack the flexibility or nerve for proper recumbents.  It might make a nice commuter bike if you're going for the slow and steady so as not to work up a sweat in everyday clothes approach.

And remember that all bikes come with a 24" gear

Sort of.  Getting off and pushing is strongly contraindicated with some geometries (basically, anything really low or with USS will hurt your back within minutes, even if you can keep it stable).  Trikes can be pulled, but that's even more awkward uphill.  Gearing down (to well below 24") is a far better approach.

Should be okay with these upright long wheelbase types, though.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #7 on: 10 July, 2012, 05:23:25 pm »
It was Giant's version of the BikeE, a machine very popular in the USA, mostly amongst those new to recumbents and particularly amongst flatlanders. The crank-forward thing came along after BikeE shut up shop and fills a similar niche.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #8 on: 10 July, 2012, 08:07:57 pm »
a better bet would be a bike e , they turn up 2nd hand from time to time or the flevobike oke ja . d tek , 01353648177 may be able to find one or try e bay. :)
the slower you go the more you see

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #9 on: 10 July, 2012, 10:44:57 pm »
So, the general consensus would seem to be 'don't'.

Tiermat, it wasn't searching for an easy way out, it was a hankering I've had to own one of these for more than a decade.

But now I won't bother, it was only for curiosity value.

Thanks everyone

luv'n'stuff

J
VELOMANCER

tiermat

« Reply #10 on: 11 July, 2012, 07:51:14 am »
Tiermat, it wasn't searching for an easy way out, it was a hankering I've had to own one of these for more than a decade.

In that case, I apologise, I didn't mean it to come across as "Toughen up, cupcake" :)

Generally it does look like a solution looking for a problem, though.  I wouldn't be seen dead on one.  HTH
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #11 on: 11 July, 2012, 12:04:52 pm »
a better bet would be a bike e , they turn up 2nd hand from time to time or the flevobike oke ja . d tek , 01353648177 may be able to find one or try e bay. :)

Saw one of each at Kevin's yesterday. Both needed repair work, but I bet he has better (and more expensive) ones.

« Reply #12 on: 05 January, 2013, 02:28:33 pm »
Hi guys. I have a Revive, which I recently posted on my website, it's available for sale.
One thing I'm not sure on, and perhaps you could help me with it is: What year is it?
There seems to be a couple of different models and very little information about them.
Regards.

justvelo.wordpress.com

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #13 on: 05 January, 2013, 07:51:44 pm »
Hi guys. I have a Revive, which I recently posted on my website, it's available for sale.
One thing I'm not sure on, and perhaps you could help me with it is: What year is it?
There seems to be a couple of different models and very little information about them.
Regards.

justvelo.wordpress.com

Couldn't give a stuff what year it is. That's my new company car, is that!

Sold!

YHPM
VELOMANCER

« Reply #14 on: 05 January, 2013, 08:42:19 pm »
Not the same, but I have to say, I reckon Bike Es are great fun. I reckon they are more suitable for flat riding than the dutch bikes that populate Cambridge. So benign and comfy.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #15 on: 05 January, 2013, 09:34:21 pm »
It's going to be a promotional tool for the shop, because there's nothing that looks like it.

It's going to be the School Bus that takes the youngest to school on his tag-along, because there's nothing that looks like it.

I know about the ergonomics and the aerodynamics but Nicholas (aged 6) has just looked at the pictures and exclaimed 'Get it, Dad. That's cool chopper!'

I don't think it will do the shop any harm if all his little friends at school think the same. Sometimes you just need to be six again.

luv'n'stuff

J
VELOMANCER

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #16 on: 05 January, 2013, 09:42:33 pm »
It's going to be a promotional tool for the shop, because there's nothing that looks like it.

Which will attract attention & establish an identity for your shop
 :thumbsup:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #17 on: 05 January, 2013, 10:56:41 pm »
I know about the ergonomics and the aerodynamics but Nicholas (aged 6) has just looked at the pictures and exclaimed 'Get it, Dad. That's cool chopper!'

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #18 on: 07 January, 2013, 10:18:05 pm »
So. Now I've bought it, there are some practicalities to consider.

First is how, given the lack of a seat tube, do we attach a trailer bike? Have I imagined it or is there a coupling used by some manufacturers that fastens the trailer coupling to the top of the carrier? Anyone got a link?
VELOMANCER

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #19 on: 07 January, 2013, 10:34:25 pm »

First is how, given the lack of a seat tube, do we attach a trailer bike? Have I imagined it or is there a coupling used by some manufacturers that fastens the trailer coupling to the top of the carrier? Anyone got a link?

CL has one where the coupling uses a custom carrier with a set of dropout-like protrusions, that the trailer hooks into.  That's no good by itself because the carrier mountings on the bike are non-standard, but not outside the realms of fettlability if you've got a sacrificial fork to hand.

« Reply #20 on: 07 January, 2013, 10:57:56 pm »
Isla Rowntree of Islabikes used to make ones that fitted to a (custom) rack. I think she was the only person making them at the time and their popularity is all down to her.

« Reply #21 on: 07 January, 2013, 11:04:59 pm »
Having reminded myself of the Revive's geometry, the rack looks integral with the main frame tube.

Could you get someone to weld a seatpost to a bit of flat plate that can be bolted to the rack?

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #22 on: 07 January, 2013, 11:16:46 pm »
Having reminded myself of the Revive's geometry, the rack looks integral with the main frame tube.

Could you get someone to weld a seatpost to a bit of flat plate that can be bolted to the rack?

That's the one. . . .
VELOMANCER

« Reply #23 on: 07 January, 2013, 11:53:31 pm »
I can do that if you give me sizes.

tiermat

« Reply #24 on: 08 January, 2013, 07:53:56 am »

CL has one where the coupling uses a custom carrier with a set of dropout-like protrusions, that the trailer hooks into.  That's no good by itself because the carrier mountings on the bike are non-standard, but not outside the realms of fettlability if you've got a sacrificial fork to hand.

This ^ ...

Isla Rowntree of Islabikes used to make ones that fitted to a (custom) rack. I think she was the only person making them at the time and their popularity is all down to her.

... 'cos it's an early Isla trailer bike (branded as trailerbikes), purchased by myself from Clarion otp and subsequently sold on to CL.  I have to admit I much prefer the rack mounting method to the seatpost mounting method of others.