Author Topic: Tubeless for Dummies  (Read 195908 times)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Re: Tubeless for Dummies
« Reply #1375 on: 01 June, 2023, 01:02:14 pm »
I've not ploughed through all 55 pages - so, here's my question:

I'm looking for an adapter* for tubeless inflation that screws to the valve stem and has a Schraeder sized end - I don't mean the Presta-to-Schraedar adapter ....

I want to be able to fit tubeless with an SKS RideAir tank (charged from a compressor) without the valve core in place (the blast of air is much greater and pops the bead on more easily)  the SKS tank has a Schraeder outlet hose.   

Then fit the valve and inflate, check that it's holding and then remove the valve and put sealant in before replacing valve and re-inflating.

I have managed to hold a Presta/Schraeder adaptor in place but it's a bit tricky to keep hold of when you release the tank valve!

*i.e. a short metal tube that has a female thread one and that is the same as the valve stem, and a Schraeder male thread at the other end.

Anyone seen such a thing please?

« Reply #1376 on: 01 June, 2023, 02:49:11 pm »
My 3 quid pop bottle does that no problem.

robgul

« Reply #1377 on: 01 June, 2023, 02:56:24 pm »

. . .  one option I had considered was a short length of sturdy plastic hose that's a tight fit to the valve stem and cut the valve stem off an old Schraeder valve and slip that into the other end of the tube (probably need hot water to stretch it a bit) to connect the air tank or compressor  - it would probably work but perhaps liable to blow apart?

« Reply #1378 on: 01 June, 2023, 06:26:45 pm »

. . .  one option I had considered was a short length of sturdy plastic hose that's a tight fit to the valve stem and cut the valve stem off an old Schraeder valve and slip that into the other end of the tube (probably need hot water to stretch it a bit) to connect the air tank or compressor  - it would probably work but perhaps liable to blow apart?

A Schrader valve? stem already has an internal thread.  Have you checked whether that fits over a Presta stem?

robgul

« Reply #1379 on: 01 June, 2023, 07:01:18 pm »

A Schrader valve? stem already has an internal thread.  Have you checked whether that fits over a Presta stem?

Nice idea, but no it doesn't . . .   but, what might work is see if a Schraeder valve stem (the rubber/plastic sort) will push-fit on the Presta valve stem and enable connection of the air source.   I'll look on another day if I can find an old tube - I'll report back.

« Reply #1380 on: 02 June, 2023, 05:45:17 pm »
First tubeless wheel built and taped, valved and inflated for recumbent.  Inflated easily with just the track pump. Impressed with new high flow valves. No fairy liquid on beads or furious inflating  etc.  Will leave 24 hours and put sealant in nearer their first ride. Still awaiting disc rotor, arriving tomorrow.  Not my first tubeless wheels as been running tubeless since 2006, but mtn bike first then road bike.

« Reply #1381 on: 07 June, 2023, 05:31:03 pm »
Another puncture on tubless - or the same one at the point where I put one of those plugs what Flatus suggested.

Are these expected to be temporary fixes or should I be thinking of summat else?
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #1382 on: 07 June, 2023, 06:07:40 pm »
Nope, should be near-permanent.  How old are the tyres? When did you last top up sealant?

« Reply #1383 on: 07 June, 2023, 06:10:18 pm »
Tyres are years old from commuting, but there were a couple covid years in there which should only count half.

Sealant if currently leaking out at the point where I pushed the plug through, so there is sealant.

I am erring between another plug or a bigger one.

« Reply #1384 on: 07 June, 2023, 06:13:04 pm »
Another plug then. Are they dyno darts or those shit sticky anchovies?

« Reply #1385 on: 07 June, 2023, 08:26:42 pm »
Dyno darts.  I looked at a video online where they inset and 5en pull back on the plug once inserted - which I didn’t do.

« Reply #1386 on: 07 June, 2023, 08:49:01 pm »
Tubeless tyres been out in a couple of rides. Using the 3M tape recommended above, no loss of pressure so far, as last as far the the finger test goes. Newly built wheels are riding well.

« Reply #1387 on: 17 June, 2023, 02:30:36 pm »
So, turns out I had a second puncture, and while I had both punctures the tyre bled enough sealant that it also needed a top up.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #1388 on: 13 January, 2024, 05:59:36 pm »
so.

got a rear tyre punctured today, it was mostly air hissing and barely any sealant. after checking the last top up date, it was the 5th of september, just over four months. no worries, i carry some sealant in a saddle bag for such cases. topped it up (30ml), pumped it up, but it was still not sealing as it should. stopped again to pump the tyre up and by doing so broke the (aluminium) valve stem. o-oh. luckily, after a mini-disaster last year, where both tyres punctured and unseated, i was carrying an inner tube - for similar scenarios. popped it in, pumped it up, cleaned the sealant mess with a baby wipe and reached home no problem.

the moral: use brass valves rather than aluminium, carry an inner tube just in case (i wasn't carrying any for six(ish) years and got away with it).

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #1389 on: 15 January, 2024, 09:58:59 am »
managed to get the front on the S40 to seat over Christmas, having been run tubed for a while.  Got the tube out with only one bead disturbed and managed to seat the other with the track pump.  Valve was a bit leaky to start with, but I tightened it and all seems good now.

Only problem is getting a mudguard to fit the 38mm Gravel King, no luck so far, with Raceblade ProXL not quite wide enough in the bracket so the very top rubs the tyre sidewall.  Seems like itts detined to be the summer bike.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1390 on: 15 January, 2024, 10:05:01 am »
SKS Edge fit over a 38mm Gravel King.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #1391 on: 15 January, 2024, 10:41:23 am »
so.

got a rear tyre punctured today, it was mostly air hissing and barely any sealant. after checking the last top up date, it was the 5th of september, just over four months. no worries, i carry some sealant in a saddle bag for such cases. topped it up (30ml), pumped it up, but it was still not sealing as it should. stopped again to pump the tyre up and by doing so broke the (aluminium) valve stem. o-oh. luckily, after a mini-disaster last year, where both tyres punctured and unseated, i was carrying an inner tube - for similar scenarios. popped it in, pumped it up, cleaned the sealant mess with a baby wipe and reached home no problem.

the moral: use brass valves rather than aluminium, carry an inner tube just in case (i wasn't carrying any for six(ish) years and got away with it).

Can you recall the source of the vale that snapped? 

I've had 3 (I think ) now and each one has then rendered my pump useless as I was unable to extract the snapped part from the pump, luckily I have managed to either summon team car or had a CO2 canister to inflate teh inner tube (I've always carried a spare.).

My current theory is that the culprit valves were from Hunt, I have had zero (touches wood!) issues with Schwalbe sourced ones (other than having to replace the actual valve every now and again as it gunks up).
Regards,

Joergen

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #1392 on: 15 January, 2024, 07:59:45 pm »
SKS Edge fit over a 38mm Gravel King.

OK on the rear, front (drive wheel) has no mounting points, though I may have another solution there
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens