Author Topic: Mersey Roads 24hr 2022  (Read 9853 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Mersey Roads 24hr 2022
« Reply #50 on: 26 July, 2022, 01:38:57 pm »
Absolutely Jim’s race trike.

Jim had a big influence on both of us riding the Mersey on trikes this year (along with John Taylor, from my side). Some folk asked whether we were related - answered with “Related by Jim Hopper!”
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

felstedrider

« Reply #51 on: 26 July, 2022, 02:41:49 pm »
I'm pretty sure there have been trikes on all of the 12s and 24s I have ridden.   It's nice to see a range of machines and different approaches.   Feels less clinical compared to a shorter distance TT.

I was in the pub with a trikie record holder last week but I think she's not going to do any more.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #52 on: 26 July, 2022, 09:54:18 pm »
I think there was one year I did it where they reported no tandem finished. Tandem trike didn't count  :-\
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

felstedrider

« Reply #53 on: 27 July, 2022, 09:54:21 am »
I think there was one year I did it where they reported no tandem finished. Tandem trike didn't count  :-\

The tandem record looks achievable now and Tim and Adam were on schedule last time round before Adam got sick.   I'm not sure if they are going to have another crack or not.

Jem

• ACME HR and Diversity officer
« Reply #54 on: 28 July, 2022, 03:18:11 pm »

Yep. That was 2015 I think. I was stoker for Assasin. Needless to say we were quite shocked at the prize giving where it seemed we had apparently been invisible for 24hrs. John Taylor (a rock of support for trikies along with Jim Hopper) took up of our case to get the recognition - which we did eventually get - but by then the event was long over and the moment gone. It left a bad taste for me.

In 2013, Arabella and I rode tandem trike (I was pilot) at the same event. At the time our distance of 349.6 miles beat the women's tandem bike record for the Mersey as well. There was no official recognition for that either at the event - although we had incredible support during it -  but we did have the satisfaction of it being confirmed as a national record for women's tandem trike at 24hrs by the CTT.

I rode four Mersey Roads - all on a trike. Two on solo (333.12 miles and 312 (?)miles ) and two on tandem trike. Loved the event for the support and the people. Just a shame recognition and respect for those riding "non-standard" machines was so lacking among some sectors and one had to fight for earned rewards. It got me down and I never went back. Hopefully that will change. It's the only TT I miss.

felstedrider

« Reply #55 on: 18 August, 2022, 08:55:21 am »
There is a reasonable chance that the 2023 Mersey 24hr will be the last, unless a new organising team can be found.

cygnet

« Reply #56 on: 19 August, 2022, 07:23:30 pm »
 :'(

Can I get fit enough to do that and PBP. Didn't work last time.
I hope the CTT are helping to seek assistance to keep this going.

felstedrider

« Reply #57 on: 21 August, 2022, 09:20:55 am »

I thought you were on form in 2019 so was very surprised to see you at Villaines.  I managed to carry fitness through but obviously it is a bit hit and miss.   Maybe start with one of the slower groups at PBP to give you some padding.

The chances of me riding the 24 again are very slim.

Notfromrugby

« Reply #58 on: 25 August, 2022, 10:04:21 am »
There is a reasonable chance that the 2023 Mersey 24hr will be the last, unless a new organising team can be found.

There is a chance that any RTTC National will be the last some time soon... numbers are so low that even the National champs can't be filled.

felstedrider

« Reply #59 on: 25 August, 2022, 10:59:03 am »

There is a chance that any RTTC National will be the last some time soon... numbers are so low that even the National champs can't be filled.

We're seeing quite a quick death.   Not sure I can bring myself to sell some of my kit.   Possibly the wheels and some clothing.

Notfromrugby

« Reply #60 on: 25 August, 2022, 12:21:02 pm »

We're seeing quite a quick death.   Not sure I can bring myself to sell some of my kit.   Possibly the wheels and some clothing.

I've seen the numbers for all Open events... they are down about 50% since 2017 and probably this year will be worse. Is it terminal? I am not sure, I think it is happening across all branches of cycling... countless Sportives have gone bust, numbers at BMCR races are pathetic and even BC races are well down on numbers, with organisers having to recruit on Facebook. CTT might suffer even more, due to the spiralling cost of competitive equipment for time trials... I mean, 80 quid for a pair of aero socks... really?
Don't think Bigham's bang was quite loud enough, certainly not as loud as the 2012 TdF + Olympics... the all competitive cycling sector is on a downward trend... there might be some accountability there, Zwift above all... lots of friends racing on there year round.

« Reply #61 on: 25 August, 2022, 12:31:14 pm »
Sad times indeed.

I have not raced now for a good many years, but can remember the days when we needed a 21 min or a '56' just to get into some events on the (then) fast courses.

Notfromrugby

« Reply #62 on: 25 August, 2022, 01:27:08 pm »
Sad times indeed.

I have not raced now for a good many years, but can remember the days when we needed a 21 min or a '56' just to get into some events on the (then) fast courses.

You still do... I was rejected at a VTTA event for not being fast enough... problem is the majority of events are not on those fast courses and the numbers are thin. I did a hardriders in March with 12 entries... needless to say I won't travel again for that, so next year there will be even fewer, if they run it at all.
In fairness, there might be too many events in the calendar

felstedrider

« Reply #63 on: 25 August, 2022, 01:34:17 pm »
Local 12hr last weekend had 16 entrants.   Persuading marshals to be out all day for that number must be hard.

The National 12 has about 60 entrants.   I expect a very small amount of BBAR qualifiers this year.   At one stage this was the flagship competition and I am particularly proud of the certificates I have on file.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #64 on: 25 August, 2022, 02:16:48 pm »
Sad times indeed.

I had a problem when I got a 21:20 on the V718, which was then my local fast course: it was too slow to get me into the open events on there but also too fast for the middlemarkers events. 

Aah nostalgia.     

« Reply #65 on: 25 August, 2022, 02:30:59 pm »
Aah nostalgia.   
I recall the days when there were four 24 hour events each year.  Catford, Wessex, North Road and Mersey.  I used to go out to help on the Catford and the Wessex. 1970s.  Nostalgia indeed.  The roads would go very quiet indeed from about midnight until 8 am Sunday.  Those were the days!

Notfromrugby

« Reply #66 on: 25 August, 2022, 02:35:42 pm »
Aah nostalgia.   
I recall the days when there were four 24 hour events each year.  Catford, Wessex, North Road and Mersey.  I used to go out to help on the Catford and the Wessex. 1970s.  Nostalgia indeed.  The roads would go very quiet indeed from about midnight until 8 am Sunday.  Those were the days!

The irony is that TCR is increasing in popularity and there were 1500 entries for LEL, both of which are more gruelling than a 24h TT... I guess it's a case of marketing these things to the right audiences... maybe the folks on skinsuits are no longer interested, but there might be others keen to test themselves...

Notfromrugby

« Reply #67 on: 25 August, 2022, 02:41:18 pm »
Local 12hr last weekend had 16 entrants.   Persuading marshals to be out all day for that number must be hard.

The National 12 has about 60 entrants.   I expect a very small amount of BBAR qualifiers this year.   At one stage this was the flagship competition and I am particularly proud of the certificates I have on file.

I think the 12 hours should be dropped from the BBAR and men should align with the women competition, it's a bit odd in this day and age to think that women can't race as far as men. Should be 25, 50 and 100 for both categories. I'd probably have a go, but I have no appetite for a 12 hour TT

felstedrider

« Reply #68 on: 25 August, 2022, 02:59:40 pm »
Aah nostalgia.   

The irony is that TCR is increasing in popularity and there were 1500 entries for LEL, both of which are more gruelling than a 24h TT... I guess it's a case of marketing these things to the right audiences... maybe the folks on skinsuits are no longer interested, but there might be others keen to test themselves...

The 24hr broke me in ways that no audax has ever done.   I couldn't walk properly for a few days.   I rode home from PBP the day after.

felstedrider

« Reply #69 on: 25 August, 2022, 03:02:54 pm »

I think the 12 hours should be dropped from the BBAR and men should align with the women competition, it's a bit odd in this day and age to think that women can't race as far as men. Should be 25, 50 and 100 for both categories. I'd probably have a go, but I have no appetite for a 12 hour TT

I see the argument but, for me at least, there's something special about a 12hr.   It's a very different type of challenge.   I'd rather the women raced the 12hr.   It's not like long distance races for the last few years haven't proved how little difference there is between men and women on the longer races.

« Reply #70 on: 25 August, 2022, 04:40:48 pm »

but TCR & LEL offer adventure, new places, etc a 24h TT has you riding around the same loops for a day

I did LEL this year and I'm considering TCR for next year but I have never found any appeal in a 24hr TT, despite finding it bizarrely impressive

Notfromrugby

« Reply #71 on: 25 August, 2022, 05:46:47 pm »

but TCR & LEL offer adventure, new places, etc a 24h TT has you riding around the same loops for a day

I did LEL this year and I'm considering TCR for next year but I have never found any appeal in a 24hr TT, despite finding it bizarrely impressive

But equally, there will be a few who might be interested in trying something like that, where you don't have to carry your body weight in provisions and spares, you don't have to budget for all possible things that can go wrong and how to survive, you don't have to clutter your bike with mudguards and puncture proof tyres and racks and bags... they just want to see how far they can go, given ideal conditions (bar the weather). I don't...  ;D

« Reply #72 on: 25 August, 2022, 05:53:13 pm »
But equally, there will be a few who might be interested in trying something like that, where you don't have to carry your body weight in provisions and spares, you don't have to budget for all possible things that can go wrong and how to survive, you don't have to clutter your bike with mudguards and puncture proof tyres and racks and bags... they just want to see how far they can go, given ideal conditions (bar the weather). I don't...  ;D

Absolutely! It would be boring if we were all the same, just giving a reason why numbers on TCR/LEL might be higher than the 24hr TT

cygnet

« Reply #73 on: 25 August, 2022, 06:28:40 pm »

I thought you were on form in 2019 so was very surprised to see you at Villaines.  I managed to carry fitness through but obviously it is a bit hit and miss.   Maybe start with one of the slower groups at PBP to give you some padding.

The chances of me riding the 24 again are very slim.

2019 I started the TT with a calf issue, was begging my support for pain killers by dusk, but was racing as part of a team so pushing it. PBP I'd already taken my first lot before Mortagne, and my head went somewhere between there and Villanes - couldn't face another 75hrs of it.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #74 on: 27 August, 2022, 11:19:01 am »
CTT events dying out across all distances?
Well.

I was worried that my local helmet protests would be in vain, but this isn't the reason I'd anticipated...

If you want to know why numbers are down, it must make sense to consider why entries are down at ALL distances.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles