Author Topic: York to get an Olympic standard velodrome  (Read 5818 times)

York to get an Olympic standard velodrome
« on: 04 October, 2013, 12:28:08 pm »
York University is going to build an Olympic standard velodrome !

It will be an outdoor one with no grandstands but still. They hope to have it built before the 2014 TdF.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
Re: York to get an Olympic standard velodrome
« Reply #1 on: 04 October, 2013, 01:11:29 pm »
I don't know about York University, since I don't pay much attention to academic goings on in Canada.  The University of York, on the other hand, certainly plans to build an outdoor velodrome, to go with the road circuit they opened in the summer.

« Reply #2 on: 04 October, 2013, 01:52:45 pm »
Who mentioned Canada? ???

Chris S

« Reply #3 on: 04 October, 2013, 01:56:07 pm »

Bunbury pedantry I think...  :)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 04 October, 2013, 02:52:00 pm »

To be fair, as a Kent student, such pedantry at lost people on campus was obligatory.

"University of Kent At Canterbury" =>  "Well done, you're in the right place"
"Canterbury Christ Church University" => "Go back into town, and follow the ring road all the way round until you see a sign"
"Canterbury University, Christchurch" => "That one's in New Zealand.  Are you sure you don't mean CCCU?  Otherwise, Heathrow is that way ->"
"Canterbury University" => Fuck knows, unless they were dressed as a nun, or carrying letterheaded paper, or other likely clues.

I still haven't quite got the hang of the Birmingham equivalents.  I know where the UoB is, and can generally point in the direction of Aston, but have yet to memorise the historical names for BCU.

I reckon the Manchester lot had the right idea.  More than one university in a city is confusing and unnecessary.  AFAIK York doesn't seem to have this problem.

« Reply #5 on: 04 October, 2013, 03:00:44 pm »
It does. The other one keeps changing its name:

St Johns College
College of Ripon and York St John
York St John College

York St John University

This one is spread around the middle of town. York Uni however is only ever used to refer to The University of York ie the big one on the edge of the city.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #6 on: 04 October, 2013, 04:17:10 pm »
... or the one in Canada  :P

« Reply #7 on: 04 October, 2013, 05:07:21 pm »

To be fair, as a Kent student, such pedantry at lost people on campus was obligatory.

"Canterbury Christ Church University" => "Go back into town, and follow the ring road all the way round until you see a sign"
"Canterbury University, Christchurch" => "That one's in New Zealand.  Are you sure you don't mean CCCU?  Otherwise, Heathrow is that way ->"
"Canterbury University" => Fuck knows, unless they were dressed as a nun, or carrying letterheaded paper, or other likely clues.

I still haven't quite got the hang of the Birmingham equivalents.  I know where the UoB is, and can generally point in the direction of Aston, but have yet to memorise the historical names for BCU.

I reckon the Manchester lot had the right idea.  More than one university in a city is confusing and unnecessary.  AFAIK York doesn't seem to have this problem.

As a fellow UKC graduate I can add to the confusion, Kent State was the subject of the song Four Dead in Ohio.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvg4n8Txgdc

« Reply #8 on: 04 October, 2013, 07:02:54 pm »
Yes, I understand the pedantry (I've corrected that one enough times myself!). I just don't understand the relevance, as the OP didn't mention York University at all...

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #9 on: 04 October, 2013, 07:26:29 pm »
I misread 'Your' for 'York'.  Pedant fail  :hand:

« Reply #10 on: 04 October, 2013, 08:47:22 pm »
I misread 'Your' for 'York'.  Pedant fail  :hand:

Not pedant fail but rather auto correct fail. it should have been York not your and I have now corrected it :)

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #11 on: 06 October, 2013, 01:57:42 pm »
As a fellow UKC graduate I can add to the confusion, Kent State was the subject of the song Four Dead in Ohio.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/mvg4n8Txgdc&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/mvg4n8Txgdc&rel=1</a>

That is one of the local* universities where I grew up.  It hasn't always had a good reputation:
Can't read? Can't write? Kent State!

* local = can be reached by driving for an hour or so.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #12 on: 07 October, 2013, 09:12:23 am »
There used to be an ongoing battle in Sheffield between the Authorities and the scruffy oik students over the student union SUSU  or The University of Sheffield Union of Students (USUS).  At one point, the dons threatened to remove all subsidy unless it was changed.  IIRC the President at the time was Aleks Szerbiak, affectionately known as 'Commie', and he didn't back down.

I have no idea if more recent students have been more supine in their dealings.
Getting there...

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #13 on: 07 October, 2013, 09:19:13 am »
It was still SUSU (I think) when I was there in the early 2000s.

Apparently it's now just called 'Sheffield Students' Union' - http://www.shef.ac.uk/union/

and their 'Strategy 2012-16' document refers to them as University of Sheffield Students' Union (That an SU has a 'corporate' section on its website is a little depressing) so looks like they've given in.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #14 on: 07 October, 2013, 09:30:29 am »
It was SUSU when I arrived in 91 - at some point it did become USUS (possibly at the same time as the removal of the bridge and turning the lower refectory into the foundry - 1994 ish) - and then sounds like it went back to SUSU in the 2000s - to now become SSU.

Good job that they have a rolling 3 year customer base, rather too many name changes in the space of 20 years!

Anyway - it doesn't have a velodrome as far as I know.  But a university in York, England will do.  So that's great.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #15 on: 07 October, 2013, 12:43:38 pm »

Simillarly:
'University of Birmingham' --> "well done which building are you looking for?"
'Birmingham University' --> "the airport is that way but I don't know if they have flights to Alabama."

« Reply #16 on: 07 October, 2013, 01:35:14 pm »
BZZT!! Bleeding massive deviation! Its the velodrome thats supposed to go around and around. In an oval sort of way.
Working my way up to inferior.

fuzzy

« Reply #17 on: 07 October, 2013, 03:38:43 pm »
It does. The other one keeps changing its name:

St Johns College
College of Ripon and York St John
York St John College

York St John University

This one is spread around the middle of town. York Uni however is only ever used to refer to The University of York ie the big one on the edge of the city.

The location of one of my most epic bike related fails-

Undergoing training as an International Police Mountain Bike Association Police cycle instructor (getting paid to ride and teach cops to ride patrol bikes FTW), some of the riding was done on the campus rounds. We were doing riding up steps and I was taking the opportunity to ride my instructors steed. Dave Hildebrandt ws a cop from texas and his steed was a hardt tail Volcanic bike, a very sweet ride. My plan was to accelerate hard at the steps, bounce the front wheel onto the steps, coast up, lock the back wheel and tail slide to a halt, facing back towards the steps, tracks stand then descend- all easy as pie but fucking cool looking 8)

It went perfectly until the locking of the back wheel and tail sliding. I forgot that Daves bike was set up left pondian so grabbed a huge handful of front brake, flipped over the handlebars and hit the deck :facepalm: I managed to maintain momentum and forward roll straight up onto my feet and catch the bike, adopting a nonchalant stance as if it was exactly what I meant to do. Don't think I got away with it though ;D

« Reply #18 on: 07 October, 2013, 05:50:42 pm »
There used to be an ongoing battle in Sheffield between the Authorities and the scruffy oik students over the student union SUSU  or The University of Sheffield Union of Students (USUS).  At one point, the dons threatened to remove all subsidy unless it was changed.  IIRC the President at the time was Aleks Szerbiak, affectionately known as 'Commie', and he didn't back down.

I have no idea if more recent students have been more supine in their dealings.

The University of York Students' Union calls itself YUSU. Presumably this is because yoo-soo is easier to say.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #19 on: 07 October, 2013, 06:59:30 pm »
... or YouSue as the campus press would have it.