Author Topic: Handlebards  (Read 2688 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Handlebards
« on: 29 May, 2018, 04:52:17 pm »
Can you guess what this lot do???

https://www.handlebards.com/

(click to show/hide)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: Handlebards
« Reply #1 on: 29 May, 2018, 05:06:25 pm »
What a grand idea.  Like the site, too. :thumbsup:
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2 on: 29 May, 2018, 05:07:14 pm »
I saw a male version of the Handlebards a few years back at the London Bespoked. I enjoyed it.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3 on: 29 May, 2018, 05:15:04 pm »
That's a relief. I had feared it might be a site of cyclists' poetry, perhaps by Matt himself, and some of it might even approach the awfulness of something I would write myself.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #4 on: 29 May, 2018, 06:12:05 pm »
Saw the men last year. Very good. Going to see the women this year. Might see you there...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5 on: 30 May, 2018, 01:22:04 pm »
I'm sure I remember reading of some touring-by-bike theatre company from down Bath way about thirty-five years ago.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #6 on: 04 June, 2018, 07:08:47 pm »
I can't see the point in running two theatre companies, one all-male, and the other all-female. Normal theatre companies are made of boys and girls working together, aren't they?

« Reply #7 on: 05 June, 2018, 07:42:25 am »
I was thinking of a screwdriver being wielded in an aggressive manner...
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #8 on: 05 June, 2018, 09:08:11 am »
I can't see the point in running two theatre companies, one all-male, and the other all-female. Normal theatre companies are made of boys and girls working together, aren't they?

Well, depends what you call "normal". Back in Shakespeare's day they would have been all men.

They're actors, why not?  I think it could well make for a more enjoyable and potentially thought provoking production.

« Reply #9 on: 05 June, 2018, 10:53:05 am »
Back in Shakespeare's day they would have been all men.

True. I was thinking about, say, more recent theatrical practices.

« Reply #10 on: 06 June, 2018, 11:59:43 am »
I was thinking of a screwdriver being wielded in an aggressive manner...

Whilst wearing a frock, perchance?

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #11 on: 08 June, 2018, 08:15:49 am »
So we're booked in to see the Oxford Romeo+Juliet show :)

(rather charmingly, the venue aren't sure if they will perform in the courtyard or indoors. )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #12 on: 10 June, 2018, 11:01:28 pm »
We have seen the boys ( A midsummer Night's Dream) and the girls (As you like it). Both were absolutely brilliant. I'm not a big Shakespeare fan but they were superb - the single sex, small troupe thing is part of the humour.

For the boys, this was on the Frigate Unicorn. Low ceilings, Napoleonic warship. Coopting audience members to make up the numbers (not as bad as it sounds) and stealing the audience's drinks.

The girls we saw in a castle, hosted by the family who live there who obviously know them (even had a pot-luck supper before hand). It is an absolutely over the top, bonkers performance that leaves you in stitches, unless you are an uptight Eng Lit perfectionist.

Can't wait to see them again. Both the plays this year are of the more popular, and should be fantastic.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #13 on: 06 July, 2018, 03:13:14 pm »
We saw the Handlebards perform Midsummer's Night Dream at Deene Park in August which was really good. So good in fact that I offered to host them next year at Pitsford Hall. Today I received confirmation that they have put us in for a September date of their 2018 tour of Romeo and Juliet  ;D

:thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------