Author Topic: Lakes Audaxes  (Read 8361 times)

Lakes Audaxes
« on: 28 March, 2017, 10:43:55 pm »
Weekend of 13th May this year.  As usual, we have the Lakes Sports Pitch Pavilion for hospitality and the adjoining school gym for sleeping, the night before and the night after.  There are plenty of parking spaces.  Also as usual, the events are 200 (a bit brutal in places) or 300 (less brutal, but some night riding) with perm cards for the 100 available should anyone want them.  Generally the routes are far from the madding crowds on pleasant roads with pleasing vistas.

17 signed up so far, so I am sure we will get enough for a decent group by May.  We even have a rider from The Netherlands.  Hope they are practicing hill reps out there... erm... hang on a minute...

Any questions please ask here, or by email from the calendar page, or in person at The Postern Gate (touch wood).

I'll be riding the routes in a few weeks, but luckily most of our roads and bridges made it in one piece through the relatively benign winter.

Anyone who just wants to come up, or maybe to do the 100, but could help with the catering is most welcome.

edit - 39 due to be here as at 24th April, so plenty of room for more. 

Re: Lakes Audaxes 2017
« Reply #1 on: 29 March, 2017, 05:31:15 pm »
Entered the 300K.

Looking forward to this after a recommendation from a fellow rider, especially when he mentioned the big bowl of Chilli at the finish! ;)

All good prep for LEL   

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #2 on: 29 March, 2017, 05:49:24 pm »
Entered the 300K.

Looking forward to this after a recommendation from a fellow rider, especially when he mentioned the big bowl of Chilli at the finish! ;)

All good prep for LEL
need chilli eating practice? I'm sure there are easier ways.  :D

Eddington  127miles, 170km

Lee Killestein

« Reply #3 on: 29 March, 2017, 07:01:49 pm »
Entered the 300K.

All good prep for LEL

I'm in and hoping to complete the route this year. Save me a bowl of chilli  ;D

« Reply #4 on: 29 March, 2017, 11:58:18 pm »
Entered the 300K.

All good prep for LEL

I'm in and hoping to complete the route this year. Save me a bowl of chilli  ;D

Hee, hee..always need eating practice ;)

See you there killersteen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #5 on: 30 March, 2017, 09:27:34 am »
Need to get my name down for the 300. Was a beautiful  day on superb route last year. Descending Matterdale in the evening sunlight was a one of many highlights  :thumbsup:

« Reply #6 on: 06 May, 2017, 11:05:43 pm »
Now over 60 riders.  I've route checked both, but only just got back from the 200 today.  There are one or two issues with bridges, but only involving short detours with no extra climbing.  I'll be emailing entrants.  I've also updated the route sheet for the 200 following today's ride as there are one or two signage and mileage issues that have occurred since I last route checked it.  The new (hopefully improved) version will be emailed out.  I had a good chat with the ladies who run the Caldbeck and Wasdale Head control shops and they're up for marking cards.  Both the infos have been removed so I've got some reserves sorted out - good job I went out today!

As usual, the views of the fells were stupendous, highlights being the morning ride past Ullswater, the run down Newlands into Loweswater (Melbreak is such a brilliant fell), up and down Wast Water (which is always pretty special), Sword House with the full pack of hounds in residence then the crossing of Birker Fell looking back at the Central Lakes, the Old Man and seascape (over your right shoulder) going over Broughton Moor and the view down Windermere on the home run after most of the visitors had gone home and the wind had died down - all the yachts looking nice and peaceful in the setting sun.

I'm a lucky man to have all this on my doorstep.  It's a shame really that the 2000 who do the Fred tomorrow probably won't have time to take it all in.  I took 12 hours with a few sandwich stops.  "What is this life, if full of care... "

« Reply #7 on: 07 May, 2017, 12:27:05 pm »
Really looking forward to this event, it was a toss up between the 200 or 300, gone for the 300. The ride down to Wasdale is spectacular, maybe go back and do the 200 as a perm.

See you Friday :)

« Reply #8 on: 10 May, 2017, 07:46:31 am »
I'm on the 300 and it will be my first Audax event, also the first time I've ridden over 200km. Looking forward to it, started to write a kit list last night so I don't arrive having forgotten anything.

« Reply #9 on: 10 May, 2017, 12:18:25 pm »
I'm still trying to find out about the road closure just West of Caldeck village (the first control).  After getting nowhere with the council, I emailed the lady in the shop and got this as part of her reply.

"It is equally difficult as locals to find out what work they are doing, so not surprised you have experienced this... we are now however speaking with the workman/asking them, as they are coming in the shop... so we will get more information for you & come back to you shortly!

Look forward to welcoming your cyclists Saturday!"

I will keep trying and hopefully be able to clear things up soon, but for the moment am assuming that we can get through even if cars cannot.

Paul

and here we go (for the 200km riders)
"The Temporary Order which is in place is only for a prohibition of vehicles, pedestrian and dismounted cyclist access is to be maintained at all times."

« Reply #10 on: 15 May, 2017, 02:03:46 pm »
Well that was an education and goes to show that

1. Always dress for what you fear the weather may be, not what you hope for
2. Weather forecasts are often right but are also likely to be wrong
3. You may think you are billy big potatoes riding light but it's a dangerous game if you get caught out
4. Time gained is easily lost when sat in a tea shop desperately trying to warm up
5. You would have thought that having 25+ years experience riding/racing behind me I would have learnt by now

Well done to everyone who started either the 200 or 300 on Saturday. Congratulations to all those who finished. I don't regret packing at Newcastleton but I do regret the decisions I made that put me in that position. Hopefully it will be a lesson I don't forget. This time!!

Thanks for putting the rides on Paul and I will hopefully see you next year to improve my 50:50 finish ratio!

Pete

Lee Killestein

« Reply #11 on: 15 May, 2017, 09:50:04 pm »
Well, that went well!

Not the first one back but happy that I did actually make it back this year. After 12 months of waiting patiently for another bite of the cherry, i was really looking forward to this one. The last 300km I rode was in Majorca so the weather conditions on Saturday were a bit of a contrast! Not the worst weather I've ever ridden in but I did wish I'd packed my leg warmers for the second half  ;)

Thanks go to Paul for the warm welcome on my return, the food and drink and for organising the event. I may well be back next year for another go!

« Reply #12 on: 15 May, 2017, 10:01:23 pm »
What a fantastic event that was, did the 300 with all that climbing, loved it!

Stopping over at the school for two nights was really handy, and the organiser certainly gave us a warm welcome, with plenty of Friday night tea.

Straight away we were climbing up Kirkstone Pass, which soon woke you up, onto Hartside which was a great climb into the clouds. Then onto Northumberland and the Scottish Borders, with a control at Gretna Motorway services. Through Carlisle with no problems, sun was just setting with Skiddaw and Blencathra in the distance, and then the final climb of Kirkstone Pass in the dark just as the rain started!

At the finish we were greeted with loads of Chilli and a warming drink ;) Great camaraderie out on the road with fellow riders, quiet roads, good fun watching all the Scooters heading to some seaside resort.

Thanks Paul for putting on a great event, its much appreciated..still on high here!

« Reply #13 on: 15 May, 2017, 10:16:32 pm »
Thanks y'all.  I popped into Lefty's butchers in Windermere today and passed on your appreciation re the sausages (for the pre-dark finishers), got into school and found out we have an Ofsted inspection tomorrow.  Good job I marked all those papers in the pavilion whilst you lot were messing about on your bikes!

« Reply #14 on: 16 May, 2017, 12:57:35 pm »
Thanks for organising a great event. I really enjoyed it as my first Audax. Tough route but made it round in a respectable time thanks to the more experienced audaxers I managed to hang on to.

« Reply #15 on: 17 May, 2017, 03:27:23 pm »
Another vote of thanks from me.  Really enjoyed the 300k despite (or because?) it being a PB for AAA points.  Most of the climbs were nice steady gradients as advertised which I much prefer to the steep ones, only the last one up Kirkstone with it's 20% finish was nasty.  Toughest part though was definitely the Newcastleton to Langholm road - a bottom gear slog into the headwind.  Great to summit Kirkstone as darkness fell and fortunately had dry roads for the freewheel down to HQ.  The sausage butties at the finish were a definite bonus!!   

« Reply #16 on: 23 April, 2018, 08:35:07 pm »
The 200 http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/18-95/ and the 300 http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/18-9/ are on again this year, 2018.  Slightly later than usual... on Royal Wedding/FA Cup Final/Bryan Chapman Day.  I have spoken to Lefty at Clayton's about the BBQ supplies and weather permitting, that will be on again.  Mrs Revellinho is standing by to cater for the vegetarians (which she does rather well).  Premises booked, to allow us to sleep both the night before and the night after and there is plenty of parking at the (school) HQ.  34 entrants as I write, so I imagine there will be 50-60 by the time of the closing date (7 May) which should cover the venue costs, but it is entries in advance only I'm afraid.  If you want to come up and just do the 100 perm http://www.aukweb.net/perms/detail/PR01/, that's OK (if you've got the legs!), but I will ask for a donation to cover the venue hire and the food.  In decent weather these are rather good rides.  I will be riding the routes over the coming weeks to double check all the bridges etc and to make sure they have not demolished any of the infos on the 200.

Paul

« Reply #17 on: 03 May, 2018, 08:41:00 pm »
bump - 40 entrants so far, it would be nice to have another 10 or so to keep this event economically viable - it's amazing value if you don't live locally.  2 nights of hall accommodation and my BBQ (or Mrs R's excellent veggie alternatives) for the price of a day's parking.  I really like welcoming cyclists to our corner of the world - we have had entrants from mainland Europe and across the UK in the past.  Closing date is last orders on Bank Holiday Monday - I can't take entries on the day as the catering is a tight ship.

« Reply #18 on: 03 May, 2018, 10:57:02 pm »
This is a great get together, did the 300 last year and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Doing the 200 this year.

Looking forward to it, see you on the 19th

« Reply #19 on: 07 May, 2018, 09:00:19 am »
I hope you have your entries.  Guaranteed quiet roads due to RW+FAcupfinal. This will be the first time I have done the 300 despite being local!

« Reply #20 on: 08 May, 2018, 12:20:42 am »
Well, I am currently in bed with post 300 beer. It was pretty quiet on this Bank Hol Monday, so am not expecting it too be busy a week on Saturday!  Full details to be emailed out within 48 hrs. No route changes, just a few signage/landmarks have changed and a few potholes to note.  But the new tarmac around Kielder is amazeballs. Hope they don’t seal and chip before the event. Am quizzing locals about the 200 but aim to ride it next weekend so don’t get the laminators out too early.

« Reply #21 on: 08 May, 2018, 09:38:15 pm »
emails have gone out, apologies if you told me you are DNS but I was in a rush and just pasted all the addresses

Update:  I am posting it here in case it of interest to other riders in the area.  There is a road closure of the Cold Fell Road (between Ennerdale and Calder Bridge) after the 12/13 May weekend for a couple or three weeks, but I have had confirmation from the council that cyclists can still use the road to pass over Cold Fell.

Further update:  the bridge closure near Bassenthwaite is no longer in place and as far as I am aware, the route is all good to go.  I rode the route today (May 12th 2018) and it was spectacular.

Re: Lakes Audaxes
« Reply #22 on: 20 May, 2018, 10:55:14 am »
Helmet and gloves were left in the pavilion - please get in touch if they are yours.

« Reply #23 on: 21 May, 2018, 09:27:06 am »
Thanks Paul for a great weekend. Some challenging climbs on the 200 especially in the second half, but it was worth it for the views in the lovely weather. The pint and Kendal Mint Cake at Wasdale gave me a boost and got me back to HQ for the BBQ.

A classic!

« Reply #24 on: 05 September, 2018, 08:25:10 pm »
The October ride is coming up.  Existing and prospective entrants please note that the HQ has had to be changed.  We are now using the pavilion/gym of the Lakes Sports pitch, which is attached to the Lakes School at LA23 1HW.  This is about 2km out of Windermere centre, but it has far better facilities for those arriving on Friday night, including proper changing rooms/showers.  It is the same place as we use for the May event.  The upcoming event is a challenge for sure, but a good test of that summer fitness you have been building up!  I think the AAA is going to go up to 4pts following the recent review of altitudes that has been going on.  We have a few local entrants but others from way up North and right down South - should be a pretty cosmopolitan gathering.  All welcome. http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/18-194/