Author Topic: 1001 Miglia registration is now open  (Read 5780 times)

1001 Miglia registration is now open
« on: 09 January, 2016, 11:04:03 pm »
You can register here http://www.1001migliaitalia.it/other/register/index.php?lang=en

I don't get why they require a "medical certificate issued by a sports medicine released after 02 - December - 2015, stating that they [the participant] are physically fit to cover the distance of 1602 km without risks and contraindications for their health." who would be willing to state something like that about anyone??

LMT

Re: 1001 Miglia registration is now open
« Reply #1 on: 09 January, 2016, 11:26:38 pm »
Regarding the license and personal liability documents to be provided, I presume that this is the proof of membership for AUK? In addition being a member of AUK you are covered for personal liability? If this is the case any idea where you would get these items?

And yes getting a Doctor's certificate is a bit strange given the circumstances.

You have to wear a helemt as well. :facepalm:

« Reply #2 on: 09 January, 2016, 11:43:21 pm »
On the insurance front, it's worth noting that AUK membership only covers you for 3rd party liability during AUK events taking place in the UK. Other memberships, household insurance or travel insurance policies are likely to be more fruitful ... (And I'd suggest travel insurance is a good idea anyway, even though it's in the EU and even if you have a valid EHIC - if something dreadful happens, someone who'll sort out repatriation will be very useful indeed.)

LMT

« Reply #3 on: 09 January, 2016, 11:53:17 pm »
Thanks for that, I'll take out a seperate policy. I've noted that you can print off a copy of your membership card from AUK's website as they want a copy of this as well. I presume they do when they say 'license'.

« Reply #4 on: 10 January, 2016, 01:48:02 am »
There seems to have been a change in Italian sport insurance/regulations since 2014.

A 'medical certificate' was required for L'Eroica in October 2015, and hadn't been in previous years.

Details at http://www.eroicagaiole.com/medical-certificate

[I did wonder if the change was a result of the sad death of a participant in October 2014, a fit club cyclist doing one of the shorter routes.]

FWIW, I downloaded a facsimile medical certificate off an Italian running site, amended the title/distance/date as appropriate and got my GP to sign it..   ;)

"Buona fortuna!"   :thumbsup:

ETA: Here's the original 'medical certificate': https://www.lmhm.it/images/pdf/2014/CertificatoMedicoStranieri_ENG_LMHM2014.pdf

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #5 on: 10 January, 2016, 07:26:29 am »
There are a number of deaths each year because of undiagnosed heart conditions. Since the doctor could find nothing wrong with me three months before I came to a grinding halt and had two stents fitted I wonder what practical use this is. I had an ECG and step machine test and was well above average, but knew something was not right. Doctor would have signed me off.  ???

But if it is required then I would just get it done. This is so far from what most people consider normal who would sign anyone off?

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Angstbremser

• Zwei Minuten einwirken lassen
  • not the nature of Audax
« Reply #6 on: 10 January, 2016, 07:36:32 am »
The medical certificate has been a standard procedure at the Maratona for many years. Usually you are exempted if you can provide a valid license from your national cycling body such as British Cycling.

BTW, has anyone received their confirmation mail yet? I registered yesterday and got the message that I had successfully pre-registered and should wait for my email to finish registration. But I have received no mail yet. Anyone with more luck here?

LMT

« Reply #7 on: 10 January, 2016, 09:15:35 am »
The medical certificate has been a standard procedure at the Maratona for many years. Usually you are exempted if you can provide a valid license from your national cycling body such as British Cycling.

BTW, has anyone received their confirmation mail yet? I registered yesterday and got the message that I had successfully pre-registered and should wait for my email to finish registration. But I have received no mail yet. Anyone with more luck here?

Mine came through although it took a few minutes.

« Reply #8 on: 10 January, 2016, 05:47:25 pm »

I have checked the rules and it is not that clear. You can read:

Article 2: Conditions of admission
[...]
• foreigners who are not in possession of license year 2016, must be in possession of a medical certificate issued by a
sports doctor and a personal liability insurance for the year 2016.
• are in possession of a medical certificate issued by a sports medicine released after 02 - December - 2015, stating that
they are physically fit to cover the distance of 1602 km without risks and contraindications for their health.

And then a bit below:

list of documents to be sent no later than June 30, 2016 are:
[...]
• Foreigners
1) License card: photocopy of the license card valid for the year 2016 on front and back
2) medical certificate issued by a sports doctor and dated after 1/2/2016
3) Insurance policy a photocopy of the personal insurance valid for 2016.
4 °) Receipt of the payment made in Euros with the amount, the statement "registation 1001MigliaItalia 2016", and the name
of the cyclist .

I have sent an email to the organization asking for a clarification. I'll report back when I get an answer.

I registered yesterday and still haven't received my confirmation email. Will wait a couple of days before assuming there was any problem.

« Reply #9 on: 10 January, 2016, 06:09:57 pm »
An AUK membership card is actually proof of very little except that there's been a payment received from someone purporting to be the person named on the card. It doesn't prove the person on the front actually exists nor gives any indication of their health (nor technically that they're even alive).
It didn't look at all like that in the photographs

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #10 on: 10 January, 2016, 06:49:07 pm »
This medical certificate stuff seems like a daft step backwards. Didnt PBP get rid of these cos they were impractical?

Plus - as posted earlier - what possible test is a GP going to apply to asses "fitness to ride 1600km".

Oh well ... era of arse-covering ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #11 on: 12 January, 2016, 01:57:47 pm »
Have now entered - This will me my fourth time doing this fine event!!!

Regarding the insurance, British Cycling membership should cover third party liability, with no excess (if you happen to be a member, that is).

« Reply #12 on: 12 January, 2016, 02:00:21 pm »
...And a confirmation email within three minutes!  :thumbsup:
with the following:
"Payment - Please Pay Registration before it expires on  27-01-2016"
So fair enough, the do have to plan and organise with certainty.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #13 on: 12 January, 2016, 03:20:51 pm »
Just arrived back at Gatwick. This was the hardest ride to date for me (3rd time Miglia1001)!!
The heat was so intense - the wind from the fields even hotter and by mid-afternoon, the Tarmac radiated heat!
3 days and 4 nights on the road with 3 sleep breaks for an hour-ish each.
Still, the scenery was stunning and the mountain descents fantastic!
I think three times is enough for me :-)

No comment.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #14 on: 12 January, 2016, 04:34:12 pm »
I've come across this medical certificate requirement several times over the years for mainland europe outdoor activities.  Directly myself for caving + running and via acquaintances for other activities.  So whilst from a UK perspective I agree it seems pointless, culturally in France, Italy etc it probably makes perfect sense.  It's been a while now but I seem to recall taking the same approach as this:
FWIW, I downloaded a facsimile medical certificate off an Italian running site, amended the title/distance/date as appropriate and got my GP to sign it..   ;)
"Buona fortuna!"   :thumbsup:
ETA: Here's the original 'medical certificate': https://www.lmhm.it/images/pdf/2014/CertificatoMedicoStranieri_ENG_LMHM2014.pdf

Good luck to all those who enter, looks like jolly good fun  :thumbsup:

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #15 on: 12 January, 2016, 06:37:12 pm »
PBP was definitely in France! (geographically and culturally).

Its the biggest multi-day audax going, with the most data on casualties-n-stuff.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

parkysouthlondon

• PBP (11,15,19,23), 1001Miglia (2021), TCRNo8(2022)
    • SWRC FB
« Reply #16 on: 13 January, 2016, 11:51:03 am »
Just arrived back at Gatwick. This was the hardest ride to date for me (3rd time Miglia1001)!!
The heat was so intense - the wind from the fields even hotter and by mid-afternoon, the Tarmac radiated heat!
3 days and 4 nights on the road with 3 sleep breaks for an hour-ish each.
Still, the scenery was stunning and the mountain descents fantastic!
I think three times is enough for me :-)

No comment.

This is why the event is only every four years. Plenty of time to recover and forget how bad it was. Come on John, get your entry in.
South Western Road Club
2024 events    Tour Divide USA

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
« Reply #17 on: 13 January, 2016, 05:18:51 pm »
This medical certificate stuff seems like a daft step backwards. Didnt PBP get rid of these cos they were impractical?

Plus - as posted earlier - what possible test is a GP going to apply to asses "fitness to ride 1600km".

Oh well ... era of arse-covering ...
Talking of arse-covering, I remember the certificate my doctor produced for 1001 Miglia 2010. It basically said 'Peter M suffers from (insert every condition he has ever treated me for...!), and can do long distance cycling'. For that he charged me about £25. They didn't read it anyhow. Better to print your own, I think. ;)
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #18 on: 13 January, 2016, 05:51:36 pm »
he charged me about £25. They didn't read it anyhow. Better to print your own, I think. ;)
One might be tempted to make up a random name and forge the whole thing - after all, they'll never check.

ISTC being told of a chap in a velomobile on PBP who produced the necessary health certificate then had a heart attack while pedalling and getting him out of the velomobile was really difficult. So those forms are meaningless, hence their abandonment I assume. That and some people turning up with them written in Japanese, Russian or Greek script.

That form has this wonderful phrase: "This Sport Medical Certificate is considered valid to practice sport at agonistic level". Priceless.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #19 on: 20 January, 2016, 08:25:28 pm »
I finally got word from the organization.

First answer was: "if you are affiliated to a club, you have certainly done a medical release, so you can produce this document by sending a copy as provided in Regulation art. 3"

When I wrote back telling them that you can get a British License (and also a Spanish Cycling Federation license) without going through any medical assessment they answered back: "I'm sorry but the Italian Rules ask for a Medical Certificate so you will need to produce one"

Lets see if I manage to convince my GP that I'm "physically fit to cover the distance of 1602 km without risks and contraindications for their health". It'll be funny to see his face when I ask for the certificate :)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #20 on: 20 January, 2016, 08:35:19 pm »
You shouldn't have told them that...
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #21 on: 21 January, 2016, 10:20:45 pm »

Lets see if I manage to convince my GP that I'm "physically fit to cover the distance of 1602 km without risks and contraindications for their health". It'll be funny to see his face when I ask for the certificate :)

I remember having to do this for PBP in 2003. I'd been registered with the GP for about four years and it was the first time I had made an appointment to see him.  He glanced at my file, asked me (somewhat incredulously) to explain what PBP was, and then said he would happily sign the letter that I had already prepared stating that I was physically capable etc, so long as he could add a postscript that he made no warranty as to my mental state.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?