Author Topic: The Buzzard 600  (Read 14353 times)

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
Re: The Buzzard 600
« Reply #75 on: 15 July, 2013, 10:00:45 am »
Good work and congrats on becoming a Super Randonneur!

I am so glad I wasn't out on a long ride this weekend - must have been grim. 
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #76 on: 15 July, 2013, 10:22:58 am »
Well, what a way to spend your birthday (and only 'coz I didn't get to do 3 coasts or Holl). Came downstairs around 4:30 am to find cards and presents at the front door, and decided to leave them until after the ride. Cycled the 12 miles to the start, intending on cycling home from there. Shocked to see only 12 or so starters (some arriving on later train?)

Set off in the fast paced Bikey Mikey group. Managed to avoid the two man crash in front of me (hope the bloke with the bloodied arm is ok, and thanks for leaving the gap by the kerb for me, although I did stand in nettles when I put my bike down). Good group, which I let go ahead when I stopped to change batteries, saying I'd catch them up. Got stuck with Dragon Ride jersey behind mega spooked horse (Bikey Mikey?). Saw group about to leave 1st control when I arrived.

The heat was getting worse by 2nd control, so out came the sun lotion. Took shelter in the air conditioned M&S cafe in Salisbury (3rd control, and 3 1/2 hours inside limit).

Sometime after that I met fixed gear David, who I did the rest of the ride with, including looping around Sherborne after having a pot of tea and flapjack (which I couldn't eat) there. Added over 10k doing that.

Stopped at Tesco in Chard to take on more liquids, making the Exeter control by 12:30 am (again about 3 1/2 hours inside limit). Cycled through the rest of the night, and was a little tempted to have a nap when David mentioned nice cushioned hay in fields. We stopped at McD in Street at 5-ish, where I found it difficult to eat again. Pancakes are usually no problem, but I was just chewing the first one for ages, and couldn't swallow well, so left the rest. Energy drinks were making me feel sick, so coffees and Mars milk drinks would have to get me through this.

By the Wells control we still had 3 1/2 hours to play with (on no sleep). Got really fed up with the steep minor roads ups and downs of the Old Foose Road, stopping in a hot b&b garden tearoom for a pot of tea and teacake near Nettlebridge. Spent a while in Cirencester, with a tearoom visit, an autobank visit and little walkabout, working out how to get out, then stopping at the services on the way out for drinks and a siesta on the grass with lorries going by. we were joined by i-cycle and Richard? (Willesden tri jersey). I kept re-applying chammy cream, but by that stage it was of little use. I think we eventually left Cirencester with two hours to spare.

The hills, heat and derriere were getting really unbearable, and more stops before the Brackley control were needed (a lovely pot of tea at a pub. At Brackley I tried a pasta pot, which was quite liquidy as I put too much hot water in. We left there (just myself and David, as we'd lost i-cycle and Richard by then) with about 1 1/2 hours grace.

As it was cool, we had an enjoyable (undulating) ride to LB, passing through places within 10 miles of home. I'd decided earlier to catch a train home and have a nice coffee as a treat, but I'd written the wrong train times (or the services had changed) and the station had shut, so no coffee (if they were even on sale there). I was about to head into town when David kindly pointed out the station autobank! I waited for about an hour for my wife, who arrived after the next train I could have caught. It was good to get home, and drink a bottle of cold beer whilst opening my cards and presents.

Well done to all those fellow sufferers, and Thanks to David for the company. I won't be spending my next birthday doing a  600 (391 route miles), that's for sure!
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #77 on: 15 July, 2013, 11:40:08 am »
I do remember a very pretty girl, who might have been on a horse, quite early on. She seemed quite excited, presumably because she had seen me.

The horse looked OK, even though it was shuffling its feet a bit. The girl had pulled about ten feet into a side road well before we went by, and we had slowed down as well.

I have always been taught to 'talk' gently to horses before passing them. The idea is that they may not recognise a cyclist as a human being, what with the completely different shape, and the strange noises and higher speeds, so we look more like predators streaking in for the kill. When they hear the voice, they know you are not some monster about to eat them!!
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #78 on: 15 July, 2013, 01:08:30 pm »
Salisbury does that to me. I had high hopes it would be easier on the bike with aGarmin to help but alas it remained true to form.

I forgot to say earlier. There was quite a bit of miserableness about this ride on one of the threads a week or two ago. Can I say that it's a fantastic route. Saw loads of really lovely places: Salisbury, Bath, Malmesbury, Burford, to name but three.  Definitely gets my vote for a good 600  :thumbsup:
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

caerau

« Reply #79 on: 15 July, 2013, 01:10:32 pm »
BTW the dragon ride guy was Steve, twas him I left Shebourne with - sorry for falling behind Steve and depriving you of the offered Hotel room!

« Reply #80 on: 15 July, 2013, 01:36:22 pm »
Well finally did it after rolling in at 9:45 due to the garmin going all funny on me just before Bracknell missing a turn and trying to work out the route instructions as the distance did not match up at times and from tiredness so ended up doing nearly 650k when I worked it all out.

Rode with Aiden from Chandler's Ford until after Exeter where I had to lie down due tiredness, started again and forgot to switch back on the garmin only when I reached Taunton did I notice, but it went funny on me just as we approaching Exeter services.

Reset it at Taunton after getting lost there, on the way to Wells I met up with someone in a green top (sorry never got this name) we rode to Malmesbury where I decided to have a siesta as tiredness was kicking in, 1hr later back on the road again to Cirencester where 4 others were there, they were just about to set off so decided to join them so a quick bite to eat and off we went.

3 of us ended up together as 2 dropped off, at Neat Endstone I needed to stop due to the heat so my 2 companions carried on and this is where my navigation nightmare started when the garmin all of  sudden decided to stop telling me where to go but after a few swear words I carried on abet using a modified route with a few more miles.

Curious thing I noticed about the temp was my garmin recorded a higher temp on the rutland weekend last week of 40C was the max but only 37C on both days but it did feel more hotter this weekend more so yesterday.

Sorry I don't know all your forum names yet as I am still trying to put a face with a name, might be better to introduce your self with your forum name as i it might remember you :D

Oranji, you might be confusing me with someone else I did not have a bad crash 18 months ago.

caerau

« Reply #81 on: 15 July, 2013, 01:39:25 pm »
I was the guy on the BMC with red bib shorts and blue helmet :-)

« Reply #82 on: 15 July, 2013, 02:25:23 pm »
Thanks Caerau, it is nice to put a name to a face.

« Reply #83 on: 15 July, 2013, 03:35:35 pm »
3 of us ended up together as 2 dropped off, at Neat Endstone I needed to stop due to the heat so my 2 companions carried on and this is where my navigation nightmare started when the garmin all of  sudden decided to stop telling me where to go but after a few swear words I carried on abet using a modified route with a few more miles.

So, did you avoid Steepness Hill? When David and I carried on, we were zig-zagging through the countryside, the k's slowly ticking by. I wondered if we had gone wrong, then we had a climb upto a crossroads (T on routesheet). I hadn't been following my etrex, as from the start it kept trying to direct me back to LB, but I kept it on to see the roads and k's. It had the road to the right of the junction named as Steepness Hill. You couldn't see the top for the trees, but I recognised it from club rides ages ago. After a rest, we tackled it, then found the pub in Deddington.

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
« Reply #84 on: 15 July, 2013, 03:48:58 pm »
I was following my Garmin and definitely went via 'Steepness Hill' which I remember cos the name was so apt !!

Cycling heatmap

« Reply #85 on: 15 July, 2013, 03:52:37 pm »
I was following my Garmin and definitely went via 'Steepness Hill' which I remember cos the name was so apt !!
Did you lick your lips as you saw the pub to the left of the right hand bend, with all those clean, non-smelly people enjoying a cool drink?

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
« Reply #86 on: 15 July, 2013, 03:54:37 pm »
Sorry I don't know all your forum names yet as I am still trying to put a face with a name, might be better to introduce your self with your forum name as i it might remember you :D

I can be recognised by the ponytail & beard........

Cycling heatmap

« Reply #87 on: 15 July, 2013, 04:11:11 pm »

...as described by the man cleaning the coffee machine at the Taunton petrol station. I think he said you got the last coffee? Grrr! I was gasping for one.

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
« Reply #88 on: 15 July, 2013, 08:06:40 pm »

quote Bikeabilityman.....

as described by the man cleaning the coffee machine at the Taunton petrol station. I think he said you got the last coffee? Grrr! I was gasping for one.

I did have a latte and nice chat with a young Asian guy, primarily cos i was getting cold, so it looks as if I owe you one !!!

Pop round and I'll make you a 'proper' coffee - full on espresso machine and a range of beans to grind !!

Cycling heatmap

caerau

« Reply #89 on: 15 July, 2013, 08:15:30 pm »
It's safe to say that for me, getting cold was not an issue this weekend!

« Reply #90 on: 15 July, 2013, 08:32:12 pm »
Some nice write-ups here.

Anyone else who is wondering where to post their brevet card: my address is top left of the first page of the routesheet.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #91 on: 15 July, 2013, 08:45:48 pm »

Well this was my first 600 and what an experience!  Phew that was HOT  :o

Not understanding why stuff is falling out of your barbag?  Just keep the lid shut??
Good bit of eating at the pub before Sherbourne.  The several pints of fluid were good too, you can't have been drinking enough!
Having plenty of sleep is probably good
On day 2 it was hotter, 35 degrees C in Devon in the afternoon.  I hope it was a little cooler on your way back!
Again you weren't drinking enough!
Don't worry too much about the control evidence being printed out.  Something signed by a barmaid is easy to check and so is just as valid

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #92 on: 15 July, 2013, 08:52:08 pm »
Riders from hotter regions drink more and take it steady on the climbs. Brits think they are drinking lots when they go through more than 2 bidons per 100 km. I have more than doubled that consumption rate (+ more at controls) in the right conditions.

I've ridden in "hotter" conditions in the UK

There was a KS&SW 600 one year that was 30 degrees C in the day - so not as hot as this weekend - and I was drinking as you
describe

I had 2 x 1 litre bottles plus a reserve 500 ml and had to stop a couple of times to beg water from random strangers in isolated cottages.  I was also using extra electrolyte tablets

caerau

« Reply #93 on: 15 July, 2013, 08:57:46 pm »
My barbag is secured shut by a strip of Velcro. It was ripping open when I went over bumpy ground. Bloody thing. The next one will be secured with a zip .

caerau

« Reply #94 on: 15 July, 2013, 09:00:44 pm »
And yes it was certainly hotter on Sunday. Felt like it anyway

« Reply #95 on: 15 July, 2013, 09:29:03 pm »

I've ridden in "hotter" conditions in the UK

I live in the Otter valley.

caerau

« Reply #96 on: 15 July, 2013, 09:55:35 pm »

Good bit of eating at the pub before Sherbourne.

Yes that worked beautifully. A lesson well learned. First time I've really found food really having a noticeable effect.

The several pints of fluid were good too, you can't have been drinking enough!
Having plenty of sleep is probably good
Again you weren't drinking enough!

I find it hard to imagine how I could have drunk more liquid. My standard intake per control was  a litre of milk, half a litre of OJ (plus half a litre in a bidon) and as much water as I could stomach before :sick:
Oh yes and plenty of electrolytes and water in a second bidon.

Perhaps a more steady intake would have been better but with miles of lanes and fields sometimes it was not easy to come across on the road.

Interestingly I did consider begging water from houses I passed, maybe I shall be bolder on that front in the future.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #97 on: 15 July, 2013, 10:01:07 pm »
So I was dragon ride Steve (who is normally found in slightly more stylish attire, but it's the lightest jersey I own) and that was an eventful ride that I was pleased to have had the opportunity to complete. When the rider hit the deck in front of me just past Aylesbury I was left with a bike in front of me and nowhere to go but straight at and over it. I hit the ground hard but amazingly sustained nothing too serious - grazes on my legs, a sore shoulder that at one point I thought would cause me problems and some bruising to my ribs. It's only today that the bruising has really come up on my ribs - and they hurt. I was pretty shaken after the crash and found it hard to stay with the group, but soon got myself together. During the night section I had a very near miss when a badger scurried across the road in front of me on a descent.

The heat was tough, particularly on the exposed roads in Dorset and the Cotswolds. I went with a strategy of keeping steady and constantly topping up the fluids and it seemed to work well. It was the freshest I've ever felt at the end of a 600 (but it was only my second).

I'm now seriously considering entering the world of GPS. Did anybody else rely on the route description? Very pleased I organised some pages out of a road atlas.

Highlights:
The dawn chorus on the Somerset levels
The badger that ran along the road in front of myself and Mike as we headed towards Wells
Wells cathedral at about 6.30 Sunday morning
The scarecrow festival - I think it was between Pangbourne and Chandlers Ford. Lara Croft was good, but the Cat in the Hat really made me smile.
And of the course the company of others - Dave, apologies I didn't wait - I got into a nice rhythm on one of those climbs and off I went. A pleasure to ride with the legendary Bikey Mikey on Sunday morning and it was nice to meet up with you again near the end - finishing these rides alone can be a big anticlimax - and also the guy from Aylesbury - sorry I'm hopeless at names.

Disappointments
Arriving in the centre of Charlbury, ready for a snooze on the green, only to find a fun fair in full swing. I consoled myself with a five pack of jam doughnuts from the co-op.

Does anyone know whether the chap in the red who was riding with the rider from Willesden made it round? He was struggling with broken spokes and planning to head for a hotel in Taunton.

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
« Reply #98 on: 15 July, 2013, 10:19:09 pm »
S5

I also enjoyed riding with you !!

After we parted the first time I spent a leisurely hour or so at a farm shop eating a HUGE tub of home made raspberry ice cream whilst recharging various electrical bits...

Garmins are a pain on odd occasions, however I also use a route sheet, and continually compare the one with the other, and the Buzzard, being 'new', still had a few gremlins, e.g. Junctions not mentioned in RS - of course in the dark I'm more or less relying on the Garmin, but I know that if I follow it, I'll get to the next control. Whereas a route sheet with a missing instruction, can leave you speaking 'Anglo Saxon' !!!!

Cycling heatmap

« Reply #99 on: 15 July, 2013, 10:25:22 pm »
Congratulations all !
Mrs P and I rode our flattest DIY 200 (starting in aforementioned Chandler's Ford) yesterday and found the heat somewhat trying.   Went through 4 x 750ml bidons in addition to cups of tea and variety of ice cold beverages at hostelries along the way.

Wouldnt have wanted to be out on a 600..