Author Topic: Lille - long weekend, what to do & where to go  (Read 2014 times)

Lille - long weekend, what to do & where to go
« on: 24 September, 2018, 07:46:39 pm »
Just booked a long weekend in Lille , 2-5th November, staying at https://hotel-brueghel-lille.com/en/ in the city centre

What's to do ?   I'll be doing lots of walking around & visiting the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palais_des_Beaux-Arts_de_Lille , anything else that's a must see ?

I'm hoping for decent beer bars & hearty Northern food,  so any recommendations welcome. 
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Re: Lille - long weekend, what to do & where to go
« Reply #1 on: 24 September, 2018, 08:13:24 pm »
Go and see the Roubaix velodrome. Roubaix, a suburb of Lille, is a bit of a dump but the velodrome is an icon of cycling. Don't forget to visit the shower block under the grandstand.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

« Reply #2 on: 24 September, 2018, 08:25:58 pm »
Lille used to have a very good Philharmonic.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3 on: 24 September, 2018, 09:59:19 pm »
My daughter had a colleague whose parents lived in Lille. They invited a few of the cliquey teachers there for a long weekend. This particular family kept a very fine cellar and they were pissed most of the time I think. I don't know that Lille is particularly noted for its wines but I recall being told that there was a lot of champagne around.

My googling discovered this 14-year-old Guardian article (good vingate,2004...) about Lille being the European Capital of Culture. I don't know if it will be o any help.

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2004/feb/08/lille.france.observerescapesection
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #4 on: 25 September, 2018, 10:35:48 am »
I think they are supposed to have a spectacular flea market on Sundays if thats your kind of thing.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #5 on: 05 November, 2018, 11:51:46 am »
So, Last morning in Lille, a nice place to visit, lots of shops, bars & restaurants, old quarter is quaint & pretty. Musee Beaux Arts was good (and free as it was the first Sunday of the month) Lots of English being spoken, but no stag or hen parties that I’ve seen. Lots of homeless & beggars, it seems worse than central Paris.  :(

All told a good destination for a quiet, civilised weekend.

« Reply #6 on: 05 November, 2018, 02:18:11 pm »
Hey we overlapped ! We were in Lille Wednesday to Friday last week after three days in Strasbourg. I liked Strasbourg better but Lille was nice too.

« Reply #7 on: 05 November, 2018, 05:18:26 pm »
I was somewhat taken aback to read that some 9 million people in France earn less than 1008 euros a month. (including households with 3 million kids).
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #8 on: 05 November, 2018, 05:26:22 pm »
Subscribing.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #9 on: 05 November, 2018, 07:46:03 pm »
I was somewhat taken aback to read that some 9 million people in France earn less than 1008 euros a month. (including households with 3 million kids).

May not be as bad as it seems. If that's in the South there are far less heating costs plus there seems to be a generally higher density of population in the middle of cities so less transport costs (and public transport is far cheaper anyway). Also property seems a lot cheaper. I'm no expert and am prepared to be completely wrong but that's my gut feeling ie they aren't blowing a lot of money on some of the things we are.

« Reply #10 on: 05 November, 2018, 08:05:55 pm »

As the Chancellor’s boast about how many he has taken out of taxindicates,  it seems a huge number in the UK earn much less than that.

« Reply #11 on: 10 November, 2018, 12:42:39 am »

« Reply #12 on: 10 November, 2018, 11:55:41 am »

That’ll be declared income. The favourite sport of the French seems to be avoiding tax. Plus rents are cheap, many will still live on family farms and feed themselves. It’ll change as th3 kids who’ve left for the cities and live a completely different life come on stream.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #13 on: 10 November, 2018, 12:13:49 pm »
My googling discovered this 14-year-old Guardian article (good vingate,2004...) about Lille being the European Capital of Culture. I don't know if it will be o any help.

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2004/feb/08/lille.france.observerescapesection

Last time I went to Lille was 1997 so your information is a bit more up to date than mine, at least. We stayed in a very nice hotel and had dinner in a very nice restaurant but that’s about as much detail as I can recall.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."