Author Topic: Centre of Gravity and Bike Set up  (Read 4590 times)

peter carter 2

Centre of Gravity and Bike Set up
« on: 17 January, 2009, 10:17:35 am »
Suggestons please

Assuming the back end and frame size are right , then  why when  do I fall forward  when I lift my hand off the hoods and even the tops of the drops.

The sense is that my bars are ahead of where my centre of  grvaity is.

Vital statistics are

5ft 8
 Frame 54 " top tube
52 c to c seat tube
Stem 11
Saddle set right back
Bike set up on roughly inside leg x 109 formula . It works for me

I suspect, as the obvious soloution is to move the saddle back, that the frame iis too small by a  cm or 2 .

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Re: Centre of Gravity and Bike Set up
« Reply #1 on: 17 January, 2009, 10:25:07 am »
Back?  Forward surely.  If you're overstretched, you need to bring your arse toward your hands, reducing the Superman impression.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

peter carter 2

« Reply #2 on: 17 January, 2009, 10:29:19 am »
Not sure on that one.

No back pain, I ve been shortening the stem after I had an addictin to long stems.

I was thinking that the bars need to come back

border-rider

« Reply #3 on: 17 January, 2009, 10:36:31 am »
I'm not sure I've really understood the issue...

You're saying that the riding position you have is such that if you don't sit more upright when you take both hands off the bars, you tend to tip forwards ?

If that's so then I think (for a drop bar bike anyway) that's pretty common.   The usual setup is for the bars to be taking a fair proportion of your weight, so if you aren't holding them you need to shift your weight backwards by sitting up.

Or have I misunderstood ?

clifftaylor

• Max - "make mine a Beophar Hairball Paste please"
« Reply #4 on: 17 January, 2009, 10:37:03 am »
I'd say that you need to get the saddle a bit further back, and that at 5'8" the frame may be too small. Can you post a pic of you on the bike??

peter carter 2

« Reply #5 on: 17 January, 2009, 10:45:33 am »
I expect the  front end to take some weight, but  when i lift my hands off the hoods  to get a sense of the stem being the right length etc ( as suggestwed else where )  then I get a definite sense of afallig  forward; and he hoods are  less than comfortable . Its about a 2" drop from saddle to bars

Perhaps I am expecting too much ....

border-rider

« Reply #6 on: 17 January, 2009, 11:03:16 am »
or the bars are too low for the position you want.  Maybe try with the bars level with the saddle. 

A difference of 2" or so suits me, but I don't think I'd avoid the need to sit up if I didn't hold the bars.  I don't think I could keep my torso in the same place just using my back muscles.

inc

« Reply #7 on: 17 January, 2009, 11:03:21 am »
I would agree you need to get the saddle back, the frame is about the right size but it may have a steep seat tube angle, you can get seatpins with extra setback, cheaper than a new frame.

clifftaylor

• Max - "make mine a Beophar Hairball Paste please"
« Reply #8 on: 17 January, 2009, 11:03:41 am »
Peter, have a look at this - there's a good explanation of why your sensation of falling forwards is probably because you're sitting too far forward.

peter carter 2

« Reply #9 on: 17 January, 2009, 11:07:08 am »
Thanks

It was Peter White which made me test  this out.

The frame is , despite  it being the " right" fit , probably a cm too small .

The saddle is right back btw

inc

« Reply #10 on: 17 January, 2009, 01:50:25 pm »
This is probably where Peter White got his information from Steve Hogg in Australia.
www.cyclefitcentre.com/   have a look at the  further reading link on the menu
All the articles are good but have a look at "Backyard Positioning" for a good explanation of saddle fore and aft positioning.

peter carter 2

« Reply #11 on: 17 January, 2009, 02:18:01 pm »
Thanks

I  think Steve Hogg is one of the better ( best ) fit guru's , I may get the DVD

I love the newsletters with  the beer reviews. Definietly my sort of  LBS

BTW - have you noticed how Peter White manages to be an online grumpy bike shop owner...

The frame is , I must admit after all these years, got a too small top tube

Though, according to Dave Moulton, it should fit.....

Scoosh

• Happy velocouchiste
« Reply #12 on: 09 February, 2009, 07:03:56 pm »
Core strength can be an issue here too.  The better your core strength, the more weight you can support with your core, thus not needing to put so much weight on the bars to support you.

Consider:
1- going to the gym to get that 6-pack etc
2- going to Paul Hewitt and getting his £50 bike fitting  :thumbsup: - even if only to see what differences he would suggest.  He will probably start with your current position and make adjustments as he sees fit.  You don't have to follow through on his suggestions but they may help.  :)
'It takes a wonderful brain and exquisite senses to produce a few stupid ideas'
~ George Santayana

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #13 on: 05 March, 2009, 02:59:00 pm »
Sounds like I've had it wrong as well reading this.  Pushing the saddle back to alleviate weight on the hands seems so counter intuitive though.

I have always felt that I had too much weight on my hands and it does get quite uncomfortable on anything but a short ride, so I have the saddle quite far forward.  I'm going to push it back a bit and see if it improves things.

StanThomas

« Reply #14 on: 05 March, 2009, 03:17:55 pm »
Take a look at this, and associated articles from Steve Hogg:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/fitness/?id=2004/letters08-09#Passive

Note the point about being 'under load', i.e. pushing hard on the pedals.

« Reply #15 on: 07 March, 2009, 10:27:22 am »
You CoG of you and your bike is somewhere between your legs. If you fall forward it's because you are not strong enough to hold your torso, head and arms. Once you take your hands off the bars it doesn't matter where they are. Once sat on the saddle without holding the bars you'll find it easier to balance when your weight above the saddle is acting down through the point on which you are sitting, your CoG if you like. Try it on a turbo trainer, feel the core and back muscles activating.

Not really sure what you are asking to be honest