Author Topic: Better Wheels, can they really make a big difference ?  (Read 7539 times)

keeks

• shooting from the hip ... because I am
Better Wheels, can they really make a big difference ?
« on: 17 May, 2013, 11:35:17 am »
So I have a £1200 Carbon sportive bike , current wheels that came with it are worth about £80 the pair. I have been advised that getting new wheels will do it justice and at the same time make the biggest difference to performance. I can understand that but how much money would it take to make the biggest difference v the price of bike. I was thinking no more that £250.

Anyone have experience of this sort of situation.

BTW had the bike two years and for me its lovely and fast , my other bike being a spesh tricross used for audax, tours and commuting.

Re: Better Wheels, can they really make a big difference ?
« Reply #1 on: 17 May, 2013, 11:39:21 am »
Tyres will make a massive difference. What are you using currently?

Aero wheels if you are very fast or ride in fenlands
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: 17 May, 2013, 11:43:42 am »
The really high end wheels (such as the kind our team had access to at the Olympics) will be much rounder than the production varieties.

If you can afford such wheels, this can confer a massive advantage.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3 on: 17 May, 2013, 11:45:13 am »
In short, yes.

Long answer.

The first place that bike manufacturers cut corners is the wheels, the average bike buying public recognise names like FSA (for finishing kit), 105/Ultegra/Veloce etc (for groupset) but most have no idea about wheels.  You are right, on the average £1200 bike the wheels will be cheap ones, certainly, rarely, with a retail value of over £100.

Changing them will make a big difference, I have found.  The first time I did just this I swapped a pair of cheap Vuelta wheels for bottom of the range Shimano jobs which transformed the bike from something I hated to a joy to ride.

My current favourite road wheels are Shimano 6700, light, fast spinning and bombproof.  Can be bought for ~£200 from the likes of Merlin etc.

No doubt someone will be along in a minute expunding the virtues of Mavic wheels (you know, the ones with the completely unpronounceable names), I never have got on with them, YMMV.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #4 on: 17 May, 2013, 11:47:48 am »
This isn't a good time of year for buying wheels so there are no bargains

So I am doubtful if the difference between a £250 the pair  and a £80 the pair would be very noticeable.  They would be nicer, would seem faster, would be lighter but it wouldn't make your bike into a wonder bike.  It would be a small marginal improvement.  Unless the £80 original wheels were real dogs.  The original wheels on my Orbea were utterly rubbish.  They looked good but other wise very poor :)

Also you don't say what you are using the bike for

My best bike doesn't generally use it's original Mavic Akisum.  I have handmade wheels on it with lots of spokes that are lighter and stronger.  I put the Akisums back on for time trials as I keep them with a pair of faster tyres on.

keeks

« Reply #5 on: 17 May, 2013, 12:05:52 pm »
This isn't a good time of year for buying wheels so there are no bargains

Well never thought of that.

Tyres are the ones that came with it ,vittoria summit . When I'm on this I want to go as fast as I can. I have used it on 100k and 200k ( summer audax) and am thinking about a sportive. But for the most part just blasting around. What brought me to think about new wheels is that the bearings (not sealed ,cheap I guess) needed replacing. So my first thought would be to get sealed bearings , but if I'm getting new wheels ,whats the best option , I don't want to go cheap but at the same time I'm realistic about the bike and my own performance.

« Reply #6 on: 17 May, 2013, 12:25:14 pm »
I've never heard of vittoria summit so can't comment on their performance.

Sealed or none-sealed won't affect performance, just durability. I like sealed bearings because I'm a slob at looking after my bike.

Lighter rims make a noticeable difference when it comes to climbing or accelerating but you don't need to go spendy.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #7 on: 17 May, 2013, 12:28:40 pm »
If the tyres are Vittoria Zaffiro, try swapping them for some Rubino Pros (also Vittoria) which are a good durable road tyre.  Otherwise, put on some Michelin Po Race 3/4 which are light and fast, run them for the summer and then wear out your Zaffiros over next winter, while looking for some replacement wheels in the sales.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #8 on: 17 May, 2013, 12:34:59 pm »
There are some wheel bargains around, and they're generally last year's (or earlier) versions. Merlin, Ribble and Chain Reaction are always worth a look. I do like Mavic wheels, but Shimano make some good ones too - and quite a few are under £250.

« Reply #9 on: 17 May, 2013, 12:41:38 pm »
My wheel experience ranges from el cheapo unbranded to top end Kysriums that would cost about £800 to replace at full price.

Value for money is a personal thing, but the difference between these extremes is enormous and noticeable during any acceleration, which is therefore frequent, as well as climbing.

What I didn't expect were how much stabler the Kysriums were, especially on rough descents. I put this down to the lack of flex. I think you'd be hard pressed to replicate that in a conventionally spoked wheel.

For £250, I'd be taking a punt on the highest discounted Shimano set I could find. Planet X are often a good first port of call.

However, be aware that some factory wheel sets are effectively disposable as spare rims, hubs and spokes are not always available, especially when the wheel set starts to be more than a handful of years old.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #10 on: 17 May, 2013, 01:55:41 pm »
Something like this:

:D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

keeks

« Reply #11 on: 17 May, 2013, 04:01:23 pm »
Something like this:

:D

I wish

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #12 on: 17 May, 2013, 05:37:36 pm »
Wheels make a massive difference and different wheels will have different characteristics. If you can go find a wheelbuilder and get them to build one to suit. When mine were built I spoke to the builder who took into account that I'm quite heavy and that I preffered a not too firm a ride but a soft one would drive me loopy. I started off with red Goldtec ti hubs with ceramic bearings and red CXP33 rims, he then choose the spokes to suit, the lacing and the tension etc. Those wheels have been going strong for almost 7 years I think. Still true despite accidents and still comfy. And of course because of their colour they are very fast. Brake surface is starting to wear away though. Thankfully I have a spare set of red CXPs for this very reason :D

My advice buy some reasonable parts and get someone who knows what they are doing to build them up.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

keeks

« Reply #14 on: 21 May, 2013, 04:11:46 pm »
Thanks all,
I have had a word with a wheel builder , so am trying to source suitable parts now.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #15 on: 22 May, 2013, 12:31:08 am »
There are some wheel bargains around

That is a truly terrible pun ;D  :facepalm:

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #16 on: 22 May, 2013, 03:40:43 am »

At last! :D

« Reply #17 on: 22 May, 2013, 09:02:46 am »

Go to a wheelbuilder who offers a square deal.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #18 on: 22 May, 2013, 01:09:43 pm »

Go to a wheelbuilder who offers a square deal.
Ask for a quote but make sure they don't round it down.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #19 on: 22 May, 2013, 04:05:13 pm »
As for the quote, make sure it's true.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #20 on: 22 May, 2013, 04:17:24 pm »
Indeed, it'll have a big bearing on the outcome.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

red marley

« Reply #21 on: 22 May, 2013, 04:24:45 pm »
I think Tiermat spoke first:

The first place that bike manufacturers cut corners is the wheels...

« Reply #22 on: 22 May, 2013, 04:53:48 pm »
What a bunch of nipples  ::-)

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #23 on: 22 May, 2013, 04:55:27 pm »
What's getting up your flange?!

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #24 on: 22 May, 2013, 04:57:35 pm »
Shut your hole.

Would have been better if you hadn't spoke.