Author Topic: Adding Estimated Power figures in Garmin Connect etc ...  (Read 3951 times)

Adding Estimated Power figures in Garmin Connect etc ...
« on: 15 June, 2015, 05:00:55 pm »
Currently I use Garmin Connect for logging my rides recorded on a garmin edge 500 without a power meter.

Is it possible to take the activity fit files and add some estimated power figures, using some free (as in no cost) software, into the fit files.

I'm not wedded to Garmin Connect. I've got all my historical fit files archived. I thought Golden Cheetah might do it but cant figure it out.

The power figures don't need to be very accurate. Just an indication of general rate of improvement (hopefully) would be nice.

Many thanks.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
Re: Adding Estimated Power figures in Garmin Connect etc ...
« Reply #1 on: 15 June, 2015, 05:07:38 pm »
Strava can give you estimated power for your rides. Its probably not very accurate at all, eg it doesn't allow for wind speed etc. But it may give you some idea.
You can link Strava to Garmin Connect, so any rides uploaded to Garmin Connect are automatically copied across.

« Reply #2 on: 22 June, 2015, 11:52:18 pm »
Strava can give you estimated power for your rides. Its probably not very accurate at all, eg it doesn't allow for wind speed etc. But it may give you some idea.
You can link Strava to Garmin Connect, so any rides uploaded to Garmin Connect are automatically copied across.

Cheers Fuaran. I'll give strava a look.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #3 on: 23 June, 2015, 12:59:21 am »
I use Connect and Strava. I also have a powermeter (Stages). When I use a bike without the Stages crank fitted, the Strava estimated power correlates really quite well with the same route recorded with power info. If anything, it underestimates. While I wouldn't want to base anything very important on the Strava figures, it will certainly show a trend.

« Reply #4 on: 24 June, 2015, 12:22:27 pm »
Currently I use Garmin Connect for logging my rides recorded on a garmin edge 500 without a power meter.

Is it possible to take the activity fit files and add some estimated power figures, using some free (as in no cost) software, into the fit files.

I'm not wedded to Garmin Connect. I've got all my historical fit files archived. I thought Golden Cheetah might do it but cant figure it out.

The power figures don't need to be very accurate. Just an indication of general rate of improvement (hopefully) would be nice.

Many thanks.

If you want a comparative measurement and not necessarily an absolute measurement, buy a  cheap turbo trainer that has a power curve published.
You don’t even need the powercurve, but its nice.
Keep the turbo on the same resistance setting and see how long it takes to ride 25 miles on it.

If you take less time each consecutive test, you’re improving.

The improvement in average speed on a ride might be the cube root of the power improvement on the turbo.
 ;D

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #5 on: 25 June, 2015, 08:41:00 am »
If you use Strava to estimate your average power then you should also use Veloviewer.

Veloviewer is a very cheap PC download that logs into your Strava account and extracts your ride data for analysis.

It will plot your average power against time on a graph so you can spot any upward (hopefully) trends (amongst a million other things you can waste your day plotting).

Here X = date, Y = average power for the ride and the size of circle is proportinal to the distance, large circle = large ride.

To me, if you squint slightly, and plot a rough trend, it's upward from October 2014 (where I started using Strava more)

So I drew my own (guesstimate) trend line and it equates to an increase from 136W to 159W (average power over rides of all distances, from 20km to 620km) from October 2014 to June 2015.  The big circles to the bottom right are 400km and 600km Audaxes (power conservation mode)

Ideally you'd use it to analyse the same ride over many rides. I'm sure you can plot that but I just got very bored.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #6 on: 30 June, 2015, 02:27:46 pm »
Thanks All.

Now hooked up with Strava and looking at Veloviewer.