Author Topic: York Rally 2020 CANCELLED  (Read 3293 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
York Rally 2020 CANCELLED
« on: 23 September, 2019, 05:00:16 pm »
Update:  Rally cancelled as of 19th March.

(BHPC racing is also suspended until further notice, so it's unlikely the York race will go ahead.)

The dates have been announced, so might as well start a thread...

Re: York Rally 19-21 June 2020
« Reply #1 on: 23 September, 2019, 07:35:05 pm »
If the campsite bookings work like previous years, you can ask to be in adjacent pitches by adding YACF and a request to be in the same area to the on-line booking form. Assuming of course that you want to associate with YACFers ...
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

« Reply #2 on: 12 November, 2019, 12:19:35 pm »
sorrry for the delay, bookings are now open http://yorkrally.org/visitor-information/campsite-bookings/ please note for those doing postal bookings the address has changed

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 12 November, 2019, 12:30:06 pm »
Note to future-me:  Lightweight pitch booked.

« Reply #4 on: 02 December, 2019, 11:41:01 am »
Note to future-me:  Lightweight pitch booked.

Me too!
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 02 December, 2019, 12:30:03 pm »
And while the BHPC 2020 race calendar is still a work in progress, the booking for the university track and velodrome on the Sunday of the rally has been confirmed.  To gratuitously copy&paste from last year:

• It's a race.
  • ...But nobody takes things too seriously, and there are plenty of slower riders (often on Mildly Inappropriate Bikes[1]) doing it purely for fun.
  • You can ride anything that's:
       a) Human-powered
       b) Has a brake
       c) No sticky-out sharp bits (chiefly unguarded chainrings on SWB/Tadpole recumbents).
    (More detail here.)
  • Spectators encouraged.  If you've not witnessed the top end of the fully-faired class rumbling round the track at speeds in excess of R17, it's well worth it.  I expect there to be a decent turnout of upright trikes, for added entertainment.  The area's quite exposed, so bring a brolly or similar if it's looking pish or scorchio, and something to sit on might be a good idea.
  • The adjacent sports building has changing rooms, loos and a cafe.
  • Magic hats compulsory, yes even for those in velomobiles.  It's an in-sewer-ants thing.  (Gloves, elbow pads and mirrors are not compulsory, but considered a Good Idea when racing recumbents.)
  • 10-16 year olds can compete as Juniors.  IIRC they need a parent/guardian to sign them in or something.
  • Jack Russells, stoats, wascally wabbits and other track-invading animals will be disqualified, as they are not human-powered.
  • Races are usually split into a Fast Group and a Slow Group.  This doesn't mean anything in competition terms (the timings all get aggregated), but limits the speed/experience differential on the track for safety.  The fast race is usually comprised of streamliners, velomobiles, faster riders on part-faired/un-faired recumbents, and the one person who knows how to set up the timing computer[2].  Upwrongs, newbies, juniors and most of the unfaired 'bents go in the slow group by default.
  • Format of the race to be decied.  Last year we had a 40mins+1lap criterium[3] race on the cycle circuit, followed by a 30min+1lap criterium and a 1-lap time trial[4] on the velodrome.  If the velodrome looks scary (because you've got more than two wheels or are unlikely to reach the 18mph or so needed to be stable on the banking), you're allowed to sit that one out.
  • Times TBC, but I expect sign-on from 09:30.  £9 for BHPC members, £14 for non-members.  Look for someone with a tablet computer and a moneybox doing the sign-on (last time they were hiding in the portacabin), *not* the people who look like they know what they're doing setting up timing equipment on the track.  If in doubt, ask.
  • Actual racing starts at 10:30 at the track, and 13:00 at the velodrome (which is within easy waddling-in-road-cleats distance).
  • Allow a bit of extra time for getting lost on the way there.  Follow Karla's advice in last year's thread, don't trust your sat-nav to know about the cycleable busway through campus.
  • Points mean, erm, complicated maths.  Results will be uploaded to the BHPC website when the relevant people get round to processing the data, which may take a while if they're loitering within tent.  Women and Juniors will do well by simply turning up.

With any luck the BHPC will have an actual stall at the rally this year, rather than skulking about outside the ICE trikes stand like a bunch of reprobates who've lost their marquee.

[1] Bonus points for anything bought for less than 50 quid at the rally auction on the Saturday.
[2]  O:-)
[3] Translation for non-sportsists:  Go as fast as you can, and when someone rings a bell, it's nearly over so go a bit faster.
[4] Translation for non-sportsists:  Go as fast as you can for one lap, with nobody else on the track.  You probably get a run-up.  Bonus points for endurance waiting-for-your-turn in fully-enclosed machines if the weather's hot.

« Reply #6 on: 12 December, 2019, 04:25:04 pm »
I have booked a pitch, I now hope circumstances allow me to be there.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #7 on: 26 December, 2019, 06:11:44 pm »
Every year I look at this thread and post something along the lines of 'This year, I'll actually go.' Then nearer the time I change it to, 'Well, next year.' Now guess what I've just gone and done...  :o ::-) :facepalm: :hand:
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #8 on: 26 December, 2019, 06:15:24 pm »
I have taken advantage of the early-bird booking discount too. :thumbsup:

« Reply #9 on: 26 December, 2019, 07:32:21 pm »
After last year I am considering bringing the ez3 working on the principle that I have a good chance of repairing it and not getting stranded 🙂.
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #10 on: 30 December, 2019, 11:15:57 am »
2 days left to book at the early bird rate  :D
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #11 on: 02 January, 2020, 04:05:54 pm »
I am a galoot! The year I finally get around to booking myself a York Rally place – in June – is my son's GCSE year.  :facepalm: Possibly he'll have finished his exams by then (and therefore not require feeding at inconvenient times) or hopefully it won't matter anyway.

Jayjay

• Layin' back a bit these days.
« Reply #12 on: 06 January, 2020, 09:44:20 pm »
Camping booked. I think... will have to check now, as I always book so early I can't remember when!
Yes, it is done, look forward to plodding on over and seeing you all.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #13 on: 17 March, 2020, 11:28:25 pm »
I'm presuming this is quite likely to be cancelled. (Not too sure about the GCSEs either.) I'll try to just talk about it next year without actually booking, for everyone's sake.

« Reply #14 on: 18 March, 2020, 11:49:56 am »
Looking at their website they are considering the possibility of cancelling. I suppose we will know more after their committee meeting later this month.
Home

York Rally CANCELLED
« Reply #15 on: 19 March, 2020, 11:10:26 am »
Message from bikepete:

York Rally 2020 CANCELLED

We regret to announce that the 2020 York Rally has been cancelled. We are in the process of refunding all bookings in full. A further announcement with full details will be made shortly.

The York Rally Committee

Home

Cudzoziemiec

Re: York Rally CANCELLED
« Reply #16 on: 19 March, 2020, 11:39:14 am »
Next year I'll remember not to book.  :-\

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: York Rally CANCELLED
« Reply #17 on: 19 March, 2020, 12:01:56 pm »
Mods can you merge this with the other thread?