Author Topic: [HAMR] 13th January - Steve day 159  (Read 8951 times)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
[HAMR] 13th January - Steve day 159
« on: 13 January, 2016, 08:18:34 am »
Very early start heading SW from Norfolk.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: 13th January - Steve day 159
« Reply #1 on: 13 January, 2016, 08:35:46 am »
Wind on the right shoulder. Looks as if it'll be smack in the face in a few hours.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #2 on: 13 January, 2016, 08:47:57 am »
Have a good day Steve, its rather nippy out!  :thumbsup: at least its dry (at least it is here)
Eddington Number 75

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #3 on: 13 January, 2016, 09:23:51 am »
Nice and sunny in London but there is still a steady breeze, the type that gets called a nagging headwind, not that Steve would notice such nagging any more - his ears must be deaf to it by now.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #4 on: 13 January, 2016, 10:01:16 am »
Certainly is nippy out there this morning. I hit ice cycling into work this morning which wakes you up pretty quickly I can say!
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #5 on: 13 January, 2016, 12:54:24 pm »
Facebook report from Steve Abraham (at least someone on the 'Team Teethgrinder'):

Steve's fighting back from the setback last night and hoping to even his average mileage out (for yesterday and today) at about 200 miles per day - despite losing over 60 miles against schedule.

He says: "After 2 steaks for breakfast (in Stowmarket) and a 10 minute nap, I am ready to have a crack at another 155 miles (before I plan to be in bed at around midnight )."
 GO for it Steven - but stay safe!

:thumbsup:
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
« Reply #6 on: 13 January, 2016, 01:03:02 pm »
Looks like a visit to Steeple Bumpstead may be on the cards.
I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.

« Reply #7 on: 13 January, 2016, 01:04:17 pm »
AS Wobbly John mentions, the update on Steve's Facebook page is encouraging  :thumbsup: Go Steve!
Eddington Number 75

« Reply #8 on: 13 January, 2016, 02:04:27 pm »
Yes - heading inexorably towards Steeple Bumpstead. Hurrah  :thumbsup:
The sound of one pannier flapping

hillbilly

« Reply #9 on: 13 January, 2016, 03:41:19 pm »
Hmmm. Why the rush to make up the miles immediately. It will be interesting to see if he can sustain a 200 mile average over 3 or 4 days. Act in haste, repent at leisure and all that.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #10 on: 13 January, 2016, 03:46:11 pm »
Hmmm. Why the rush to make up the miles immediately. It will be interesting to see if he can sustain a 200 mile average over 3 or 4 days. Act in haste, repent at leisure and all that.
To be completely honest, he doesn't look to be moving fast enough today to make up very many miles :(

(I'm sure right that there's no benefit to rushing; but it might do him good, morale-wise. Possibly a defence against
woe is me, I get all the bad luck
type of thoughts

But really, I'm totally speculating on the thoughts of a human being many miles away ...  )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Chris S

« Reply #11 on: 13 January, 2016, 03:54:27 pm »
But really, I'm totally speculating on the thoughts of a human being many miles away ...  )

Shock, horror - nobody on YACF would ever do a thing like that!  ;D

« Reply #12 on: 13 January, 2016, 03:57:15 pm »
It seems a bit odd to be panicking to make up the January lost miles immediately. There is a high probability of bad days throughout the next seven months and he needs to be slowly building up a buffer against those, i.e. he needs to be riding above his schedule when the going is good and be philosophical when the cycling gods are against him on any particular day. He appears to be building up massive sleep debt at the moment.

« Reply #13 on: 13 January, 2016, 04:09:09 pm »
Doesn't sound like he's panicking to me.   Sounds like he's adapting to meet a need.

Whatever he does seems to attract undue criticism.     

« Reply #14 on: 13 January, 2016, 04:14:25 pm »
Doesn't sound like he's panicking to me.   Sounds like he's adapting to meet a need.

OK, panicking might have been the wrong word. I doubt he is actually panicking or worried at all TBH!

Concerned not critical.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #15 on: 13 January, 2016, 05:56:05 pm »

Is there such a thing as due criticism?

« Reply #16 on: 13 January, 2016, 06:01:49 pm »

How many miles per day average has he done this month so far?   Last January he averaged some 185 per day over the whole month

« Reply #17 on: 13 January, 2016, 06:06:44 pm »

Possibly a subset of due consideration.

« Reply #18 on: 13 January, 2016, 06:12:11 pm »
How many miles per day average has he done this month so far?   Last January he averaged some 185 per day over the whole month

Year Record Data (not official, but sourced from the offifical data): https://goo.gl/RBHtiS

Avg 186.7 miles per day for Jan 2016 so far, but that doesn't include yesterday or today as that data isn't up there yet (yesterday's ride hasn't been uploaded to Strava yet).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #19 on: 13 January, 2016, 06:46:09 pm »

It's not criticism, it's comment.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #20 on: 13 January, 2016, 07:06:01 pm »

its more the will and want and desire to see him succeed, that brings with it opinions on what he should/shouldn't do

« Reply #21 on: 13 January, 2016, 07:49:24 pm »

Avg 186.7 miles per day for Jan 2016 so far, but that doesn't include yesterday or today as that data isn't up there yet (yesterday's ride hasn't been uploaded to Strava yet).
[/quote]

Greenbank many thanks so Steve is slightly up on his 185.25 last year.  Last February he upped it to 5360 mls or 191.4 per day.   Let us hope that Milton Keynes and the Fens remain snow free

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #22 on: 13 January, 2016, 08:07:23 pm »
It seems a bit odd to be panicking to make up the January lost miles immediately. There is a high probability of bad days throughout the next seven months and he needs to be slowly building up a buffer against those, i.e. he needs to be riding above his schedule when the going is good and be philosophical when the cycling gods are against him on any particular day. He appears to be building up massive sleep debt at the moment.
On the plus side, I wouldnt fret yet about the "massive sleep debt":
- for one thing, one bad night's sleep is really not a big deal by itself. and
- if anyone knows about sleep debt and cycling .... ! Have a read of his AUK-record year; he was riding regular overnight 200s in the middle of working weeks throughout the summer months. He knows his limits better than most. :)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #23 on: 13 January, 2016, 08:43:30 pm »
On the plus side, I wouldnt fret yet about the "massive sleep debt":
- for one thing, one bad night's sleep is really not a big deal by itself. and
- if anyone knows about sleep debt and cycling .... ! Have a read of his AUK-record year; he was riding regular overnight 200s in the middle of working weeks throughout the summer months. He knows his limits better than most. :)

Well posted Matt

« Reply #24 on: 13 January, 2016, 08:51:15 pm »

Possibly a subset of due consideration.

My view is that it was criticism of Kurt's methods that defined Steve's approach. That's using the narrow sense of 'criticism' as a condemnation. I'd favour more critical path analysis to determine how to achieve the record.
Steve was fairly open about his options initially.