Author Topic: Turra Coo 300  (Read 1304 times)

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
Turra Coo 300
« on: 07 April, 2019, 05:58:05 pm »
The Turra Coo 300 ran from Duffus ( near Elgin ) yesterday.
It's local to me, and takes in parts of the country where I lived as a Small.

38 from 72 entries set off into mild drizzle, which was a great improvement on the p*ssing rain which had been coming down 30 minutes earlier. We were all expecting a proper soaking, but that didn't happen.  The drizzle dried up in the first hour or so, and it remained dry for the rest of the day, except for the dampness of low cloud on the high ground we crossed.

Although I know the area well, the route took me over many new roads, with things I've not seen before, like the Culloden Viaduct.
This is rather like the 'Harry Potter' Glenfinnan Viaduct, but a bit smaller.
It's not visible from the main road, and so it not so well known.

Rode the first half with a locally-based South African chap, and a VC-167 rider, and in true Audax style I can't remember either of their names! But thanks for the company anyway!
<ETA: Pete Richardson and Bob Johnson, I think.>

Some Comedy Off-Roading on the cycle path alongside the River Findhorn at Forres, and a grind into a headwind for the last leg home, and then we were done.

Excellent home-made Cottage Pie at the end was just the thing.
( What's in it? Cottages. And Pie. ( Don't ask, its an Audax Ecosse meme... ))

Thanks to Mark and his band of helpers, and especially to the kitchen crew for the pie!

Here's the route:
https://www.strava.com/activities/2270262731

dod

Re: Turra Coo 300
« Reply #1 on: 07 April, 2019, 06:17:03 pm »
That looks a cracking route, how many distilleries do you reckon it passes?

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #2 on: 07 April, 2019, 11:08:02 pm »
Cracking route, with some interesting A96 avoidance routes, the Spey Bay viaduct the best, the Findhorn Bridge maybe less so and I was late enough that dodging it would have been tolerable.

bairn again

« Reply #3 on: 08 April, 2019, 10:34:30 am »
I was a late DNS due to a knee injury and my plan B 300 qualifier is now Saturdays event from Gala.

I imagine that I will be close to 20 hrs if i get round though its on more familiar roads. 

« Reply #4 on: 08 April, 2019, 11:26:00 am »
I really enjoyed this one.  A fairly flat route, with Bridge of Brown and The Slochd thrown in to add a bit of hurt.

The only part I had ridden before was the Dufftown - Tomintoul section on the Snow Roads 300 a few years ago.

Good company all the way round helped the time to fly buy, although I did get dropped with 10k to go due to the nasty headwind back from Nairn.

A good event, and worth the effort to get there.

Top shepherds pie and trifle too at the finish.

Thanks to all involved in running this event.
@CorbieLinnRider

« Reply #5 on: 09 April, 2019, 12:05:54 pm »
Thanks to Mark and his volunteers for a cracking route and cottage pie at the arrivee

Many fantastic bridges and viaducts to ride and see throughout the route.