Author Topic: Zebra crossing jumpers...  (Read 3315 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Zebra crossing jumpers...
« Reply #25 on: 22 June, 2010, 03:33:05 pm »
Yes, that is sad.  I get a lot of those.  And pedestrians crossing side roads I'm turning into.  I have to insist that they take their priority.
Getting there...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #26 on: 22 June, 2010, 11:04:41 pm »
Imeediately after the 2nd incident, was a zebra crossing with pedestrian stepping onto the crossing. Technically the pedestrian probably should have waited,
Nope.
19 Zebra crossings. Give traffic plenty of time to see you and to stop before you start to cross. Vehicles will need more time when the road is slippery. Wait until traffic has stopped from both directions or the road is clear before crossing. Remember that traffic does not have to stop until someone has moved onto the crossing. Keep looking both ways, and listening, in case a driver or rider has not seen you and attempts to overtake a vehicle that has stopped.
Implies that the pedestrian has a responsibility to stop as well. Without having to brake and swerve for the taxi I would have been too close to the crossing to stop comfortably, although I could have continued on the left while the pedestrian stepped onto the right hand side. Braking and swerving to avoid the taxi put me further out and slower making stopping for the pedestrian appropriate. However without the taxi, I would have been more aware of the pedestrian (less distracted by emergency accident avoidance) and may well have stopped anyway. Difficult to say.

It's the drivers that have the MUST, you might notice, not the pedestrians.

I find in London (particularly) is that the best (and often only) way of getting the traffic to stop is not to look at it as you step on the road.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #27 on: 23 June, 2010, 07:43:41 am »
Why are we talking about cars and drivers?

The OP was about cyclists who jump crossings.

It's a nasty, bad, antisocial, arrogant habit, and being not as bad as something else, doesn't make it OK.

We should perhaps debate on how we think it can be stopped.

I think the ONLY way it can be stopped is by example. (That, and natural selection)

Face it, there is very little different about cyclists. Those bad behaved cyclists could just as well be the drivers we all moan about, just happens that they are riding a bike and think they can get away with it. The more people that cycle, the more are stopping at crossings, red lights etc, the more it will become the norm. I've noticed the difference (and modified my own behaviour) over the last ten years. It isn't going to happen overnight, but I think change is gonna come.... (here's the Seal version http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHa096VQ8FE - he's wearing cycling gloves ;-) )

ktcita

« Reply #28 on: 23 June, 2010, 06:24:13 pm »
Yes, that is sad.  I get a lot of those.  And pedestrians crossing side roads I'm turning into.  I have to insist that they take their priority.

The hard thing I find about this situation is when you are turning off a very busy road with a bus up your **** and all you want to do is get off and into the side street pronto. I feel bad about using my bell to warn the pedestrians, as I know they have right of way here, but I feel more concerned for my safety.