Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 476396 times)

Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #3825 on: 05 March, 2022, 06:36:52 pm »
I'm getting worried. I suffer from stomach acid from what I've been told are micro hernias and take omeprazle antacids for it. I have for a few years had dark no 2s  especially when when I  on the consterpated side  but over the last few days there seems to be blood in them as they are nearly black. I have had a blood test on  Friday and will give the doctors a no 2 sample on Monday. I am convinced that I have bowel cancer. So  now I am not sleeping 😐  . I am planning to keep cycling as long as I can and hope that it helps a bit
the slower you go the more you see

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3826 on: 05 March, 2022, 08:01:32 pm »
I hope you get sorted soon!
Black stools are more likely to originate from quite high in the gastrointestinal system, like a duodenal ulcer (which isn't a cancer).
You do need urgent investigation though.

« Reply #3827 on: 06 March, 2022, 08:20:38 am »
Thanks hellymedic .I managed to get to sleep last night with the help of a nytol.I will get a sample in on Monday and hope for the best. I  assume that I will need a operation to sort it out I hope its sortable  .

« Reply #3828 on: 06 March, 2022, 11:45:55 am »
Hope it goes well for you try to keep positive until you get the full diagnosis.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #3829 on: 06 March, 2022, 12:10:35 pm »
Sorry to hear you have this worry Cycleman. My mum always says that if you worry before a medical test then 99% of the time you've worried twice, and in the rare occasion it is bad news, you've worried for more time and it still doesn't change anything. Not 100% sure she lives what she preaches but.

I'm not a doctor as you know, but whatever it is, you're picking it up early. You're not ignoring blood in your stool. You have a known condition that could be causing it. You're doing the right thing by getting it checked out. It just takes a week or two for that to all go through.

Keeping fingers crossed for you.

« Reply #3830 on: 06 March, 2022, 12:30:16 pm »
Thanks barakta, I am still planning cycle camping trips for the moment. Apart from the blood, I am feeling fit by my standards of fi anyway. Still  scared of possible operations etc though. Compared with your ongoing problems my worries rate as minor. I  am of course a first class wimp  ::-)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3831 on: 06 March, 2022, 01:55:33 pm »
Better a live wimp than a dead stoic.  Good luck, cycleman.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #3832 on: 06 March, 2022, 03:59:48 pm »
As far as I remember - and the noddle is getting fuzzy - ulcer repairs (which it sounds like you need) are done by endoscopy - tube with camera, tools & repair kit going up, or more probably down. So - if I'm right - not a 'proper' operation, and it may well be done under sedation not a full anaesthetic. It may not even involve an overnight stay.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #3833 on: 06 March, 2022, 04:50:01 pm »
That sounds reassuring. I have visions of being stuck in hospital then weeks of recovery before I can ride again. I'm feeling a little more relaxed and hopeful now. Thanks all of you  :)

« Reply #3834 on: 06 March, 2022, 04:53:41 pm »
If it is actually blood then you are in for some major investigations. I would expect you to be put on a 2 week cancer? pathway and have endoscopy, possibly CT scan or MRI scan and to see some hospital doctors.

If no signs of cancer are found and this is a bleeding duodenal ulcer then it is medication with probably Omeprazole or equivalent and antibiotics to kill the helicobacter pylorii bug which causes the ulcer.

« Reply #3835 on: 06 March, 2022, 06:22:42 pm »
No sign of weight change which I will take as a good sign. I will hope that it is just a bleeding ulcer can be resolved quickly. 

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3836 on: 07 March, 2022, 12:27:56 pm »
Wishing you all the best, cycleman!

Jan got her inhaler in the end, via 111. She had to walk into Sainsbury's (less than a mile) for it. It looks as though 111 prescriptions  count as private: there was a £35 price on the label, which Jan didn't have to pay.

Is the 111 service a price-gouging private enterprise?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #3837 on: 07 March, 2022, 07:06:41 pm »
Thanks wowbagger 🙂 ,sample submitted this morning and now I await developments  :)

« Reply #3838 on: 07 March, 2022, 07:34:36 pm »
Only just seen this Cycleman.  Hope it’s nothing serious & that you can stop worrying soon.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3839 on: 07 March, 2022, 08:13:20 pm »
It looks as though 111 prescriptions  count as private: there was a £35 price on the label, which Jan didn't have to pay.

Wasn't there a move towards doing this with all prescriptions, in order to extend the scrounger rhetoric to vulnerable people taking necessary medication?  Don't know what became of it...

Undoubtedly, and if my recent dealings with them are anything to go by, one that could be replaced by a small shell script.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3840 on: 07 March, 2022, 08:15:47 pm »
Cycleman: Might-be-cancer-but-probably-isn't does at least mean they should get to the bottom of it in a timely manner.  Fingers crossed.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3841 on: 07 March, 2022, 10:06:10 pm »
Fingers thumbs and toes all contorted for you cycleman.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #3842 on: 08 March, 2022, 07:41:43 am »
Please don't get cramp ,I'd feel guilty. Thanks all of you  :)

« Reply #3843 on: 08 March, 2022, 09:14:19 am »

Undoubtedly, and if my recent dealings with them are anything to go by, one that could be replaced by a small shell script.
I don't know how this is different from the actual case- which is a read-by-unqualified-person-script?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3844 on: 08 March, 2022, 01:38:45 pm »

I don't know how this is different from the actual case- which is a read-by-unqualified-person-script?

Shell scripts are cheaper to run, and marginally less gormless?

In the case of 111, a computer can give inappropriate medical advice[1] immediately, rather than phoning you back at 4am to do it.  Which is why you might as well use the https://111.nhs.uk/ website.

The other thing that 111 is supposedly able to do, but fails at spectacularly, is give you details of services such as emergency dentists, out-of-hours pharmacies and so on.  They're worse than google.

Bring back NHS Redirect.  At least they had actual nurses.

[1] The problem is, as you say, they're unqualified.  So if you phone them up with "I have $diagnosed_medical_condition with needs $urgent_treatment because $usual_doctor isn't available out of hours" all they can do is follow their script to mis-diagnose it as something else that doesn't require A&E and is therefore treatable with paracetamol.

« Reply #3845 on: 11 March, 2022, 02:20:54 pm »
And the results are in. Bowel movement dark but  blood free. That's surprised me. Blood test shows I am low in iron and the doctor said something about reduced kidney function?. He's proscribed iron tablets 2 a day and wants me to redo blood test ia month or so and has booked me for a  health check and  urine sample on Monday. Interesting tim :)es ⏲  ???

« Reply #3846 on: 11 March, 2022, 02:24:23 pm »
That is good news!

<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #3847 on: 11 March, 2022, 04:59:03 pm »
excellent

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3848 on: 11 March, 2022, 05:12:20 pm »
 :thumbsup:
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3849 on: 11 March, 2022, 06:45:35 pm »
And the results are in. Bowel movement dark but  blood free. That's surprised me. Blood test shows I am low in iron and the doctor said something about reduced kidney function?. He's proscribed iron tablets 2 a day and wants me to redo blood test ia month or so and has booked me for a  health check and  urine sample on Monday. Interesting tim :)es ⏲  ???

Apologies if I've mentioned this before (I think I have, but not recently).

A friend of mine submitted his bi-annual poo sticks only to have his results called in and further tests carried out. The conclusion was that he was advised not to eat black pudding in the 48 hours prior to carrying out the poo sticks test.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.