Author Topic: Hartside Cafe  (Read 1833 times)

Re: Hartside Cafe
« Reply #1 on: 06 March, 2018, 09:40:49 pm »
I keep getting a 'not reached' message.    :(

« Reply #2 on: 06 March, 2018, 09:45:53 pm »
Just search for Hartside Cafe in your search engine of choice, I feel that website might be a little overwhelmed right now.

« Reply #3 on: 07 March, 2018, 05:55:36 pm »

« Reply #4 on: 07 March, 2018, 06:00:19 pm »
That's been a welcome traveller's rest for me on a number of occasions.  I hope that it's going to be rebuilt.

« Reply #5 on: 07 March, 2018, 07:08:48 pm »
Damn.  I've only been their once, but it was a welcome rest break on the C2C  :(
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #6 on: 07 March, 2018, 07:26:42 pm »
Hopefully it will be re-built.  I did the C2C ride with a group of other cyclists a few years ago, in June.  We got to the top of Hartside in thick mist and increasingly cold temperatures.  Some of the group (foolishly, as it turned out) had assumed that a Summer bike ride wouldn't require winter clothing.

We had to borrow spare bin bags from the Hartside cafe to get us down to Alston, without losing too much heat in a long, cold descent.  Without facilities at the summit this will be a risky part of a bike ride.
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

« Reply #7 on: 08 March, 2018, 07:14:21 am »
One of my regular haunts, both by bike and motorbike 😩. On the other hand, it was in need of renovation so perhaps this is the opportunity. I can’t see it closing completely as is so popular, it must make a decent profit.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

« Reply #8 on: 08 March, 2018, 11:16:35 pm »
Shame to see it go, but I haven't stopped there in years - recently I've ridden straight past just to maintain some body heat for the (usually bloody chilly) descent. Wonder if the outside tap still works...

I did think of a FNRtSR Hartside version, but it's even harder to get back from than Tan Hill - and doesn't do beer. According to my dad, it did have a license way back when, but they had it taken away for serving out of hours, and for the number of pissed-up bikers the local police had to deal with. It's not far from the borders with Durham and North Yorkshire, so that's three sets of annoyed coppers to deal with.

Actually, if my dad's to be believed, it may have been before the boundary shift, so you could chuck Westmorland Constabulary in there as well.