Author Topic: GPX editor / route planner wish lists?  (Read 65037 times)

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
Re: GPX editor / route planner wish lists?
« Reply #275 on: 01 November, 2013, 04:01:41 pm »
One thing I'd like is the option to strip elevation data from a track - I often want to do that with imported BRT tracks.

I can currently do this by doing a "null" re-route of a segment of the track, but it would be nice to have an explicit shortcut for that.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Euan Uzami

« Reply #276 on: 01 November, 2013, 04:07:34 pm »

I start a new track and click the bike icon to use the bike algorithm.  Make a few segments.  Get a nice route along some lanes.  Come to a river.  I actually propose to wade across this river holding my bike above my head (let's say ;) ).  Now, the nearest bridge is a mile away, so I can't use any of the routing options as these will force me to go via the bridge, and I want to try out my new rubber cycling waders from Wiggle, so I click on the crow flies algorithm and put my next route point on the other side of the river.  I get a straight line across the river.  Now I revert to bike algorithm and create some more segments and finish my track.

(More sensible scenarios may involve me sneaking down a ginnel that's not marked on the map)

Thus the track I have created contains a mix of algorithms:  bike for most of the way, and crow flies to cross the river.  Therefore it doesn't make sense in this instance to associate a single algorithm icon with the track, as suggested above.

I've just realised that I should have quoted "Adding an icon to the track boxes top right so I know which routing algo was used would also be good."  from Phil W's post, to give my post above a bit more context.  I was responding to that.

Right, i see what you mean.
For clarity, (and to Phil W as well), the routing algo icon in the bottom right is the routing algo that is currently being used, not that is associated with the current track.
It doesn't make sense to associate a routing algo with a track, partly because, obviously, like you say, it could have been multiple ones.
But you can't even associate a routing algo with just a single segment of a track as it might not have been created by any of them - it could have been imported. Or it could have been created with one but then rerouted with another. The only things to be stored against a track are (or should be) things that are part of the gpx specification.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #277 on: 01 November, 2013, 04:16:18 pm »
If you want gpx to tcx you just need to do a xsl transformation. A sample xsl can be found at https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?13452-Data-Converter-Plugin-Development

Brilliant, cheers that makes it easy then - will take a look at that.

Used your editor today, overall looks good.

Be good if I could change the default sequence of waypoints if I introduce an extra waypoint when min distance not satisfied in original route / track.

If I generate a walking, biking, driving track then all three tracks are the same colour and not easy to see which is which. Colour coding tracks if more than one would be a great addition. Adding an icon to the track boxes top right so I know which routing algo was used would also be good.

Cheers

Phil
sorry just seen this post, also see reply above as per reason why you can't associate.

But you could colour code tracks (you would have to change the colour of a track manually*).
I actually want to put something in for myself to set the color in the gpxx extension so it shows up that colour on my unit - otherwise I have to keep going into each and every track on the unit and changing it manually.

* although I might put in a 'set default track colour' option so if that's set, it always sets the gpxx colour. I always want mine black, for instance, so I want to set it so that it always downloads mine with 'black' in the gpxx colour extension.
Not personally bothered about colour on the screen myself - probably easier if the gpxx colour is in sync with the displayed colour - unless anyone has a burning desire to be able to set them separately?

Euan Uzami

« Reply #278 on: 01 November, 2013, 04:24:04 pm »
You finish one track on one side of the river and start the next track on the other side of the river.
It'll be up to you to get the riverbanks correct.

that's fine but it doesn't give you an accurate total distance.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #279 on: 02 November, 2013, 01:29:22 am »
You finish one track on one side of the river and start the next track on the other side of the river.
It'll be up to you to get the riverbanks correct.

that's fine but it doesn't give you an accurate total distance.

I have no idea if it is true in this particular case or not, but it's my impression from readings of the forum that it is not unknown for Mr. Ningishzidda to engage in Phantastickal Experiments of the Mind, not actually meant as serious in their entirety.

A bit like our most Flatulent friend, in fact. (although, I've not known his thought experiments to veer so often into the realm of GPS, since he is, as far as i remember,  a 705 user with a well practiced and successful usage pattern thereof).

Toady

« Reply #280 on: 15 November, 2013, 09:42:09 pm »
Ben I have a buglet for you.

Just did a trail that crossed the meridian, and then I couldn't load it into another program.  Turns out the teeny weeny longitude value had expressed itself in scientific notation.  (Middle row below)
Code: [Select]
    <trkpt lat="51.2779" lon="-0.0027" />
      <trkpt lat="51.27987" lon="2E-05" />
      <trkpt lat="51.28054" lon="0.00162" />

« Reply #281 on: 15 November, 2013, 10:06:35 pm »
yebbut - it's only very small buglet  ;D

Euan Uzami

« Reply #282 on: 15 November, 2013, 11:13:13 pm »
Ben I have a buglet for you.

Just did a trail that crossed the meridian, and then I couldn't load it into another program.  Turns out the teeny weeny longitude value had expressed itself in scientific notation.  (Middle row below)
Code: [Select]
    <trkpt lat="51.2779" lon="-0.0027" />
      <trkpt lat="51.27987" lon="2E-05" />
      <trkpt lat="51.28054" lon="0.00162" />
oh! Well done... both for managing to get it to happen and finding the cause.
Should be easy to fix.
In the meantime, simply cycle further west ;)

« Reply #283 on: 16 November, 2013, 10:26:42 am »
Hi Ben,

I've been using your site quite a bit over the last 6 months, so first off I'd like to say thanks for building something that's turned out to be really very useful and is now one of the main tools in my route-planning arsenal.

Adding my vote for being able to change the colour of different tracks on screen.

Quite often I'll pull in tracks from various sources to compare and use as a starting point for planning my own, so I end up with a mass of blue lines in roughly the same place. Colours would help untangle them!

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #284 on: 16 November, 2013, 05:26:02 pm »
One other suggestion... (and maybe it's there already, but I'm too thick to find it).

how about a "Clear all" option.  I often work on a track and some associated waypoints, save the lot off to a GPX file, then want to start again on a fresh track+waypoints.  Currently I reload the site form my bookmarks, but a menu item (probably with a confirmatio dialog!) to "Delete all" woudl be handy.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #285 on: 16 November, 2013, 09:54:23 pm »
One other suggestion... (and maybe it's there already, but I'm too thick to find it).

how about a "Clear all" option.  I often work on a track and some associated waypoints, save the lot off to a GPX file, then want to start again on a fresh track+waypoints.  Currently I reload the site form my bookmarks, but a menu item (probably with a confirmatio dialog!) to "Delete all" woudl be handy.
yep ok I can put that in... as a quick alternative in the mean time you can just put the cursor in the address bar and hit enter

Euan Uzami

« Reply #286 on: 17 November, 2013, 04:02:52 pm »
Added the ability to set tracks to be different colours.
any problems let me know.

Toady

« Reply #287 on: 17 November, 2013, 08:13:10 pm »
oh! Well done... both for managing to get it to happen and finding the cause.
Should be easy to fix.
In the meantime, simply cycle further west ;)
I spent several years as a software test manager.  :)

Edit.  By the way, to check out the world relief map I suggested, have a look at this link and then under "more maps" dropdown choose world relief map.  I find this useful when planning rides in terra incognita.  (as in this example in France) http://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=4995977

Toady

« Reply #288 on: 22 November, 2013, 09:29:03 pm »
Here's another little funny for you. 

I downloaded this track: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/3677426 as a gpx file (Go to export, gpx track)

It contains a single track segment and starts like this

</name>
<trkseg>
<trkpt lat="51.379281" lon="0.01905399999998281">  <ele>67</ele> </trkpt>
<trkpt lat="51.37932" lon="0.01904000000001815"> <ele>67</ele></trkpt> 
<trkpt lat="51.37922" lon="0.01817000000005464"> <ele>68</ele> </trkpt>

Then I loaded it into gpx editor, and did a reduce to 500 points, then a save just this.  Now it has a little four point extra segment at the start with some bonkers co-ords, before it gets into the track proper

</name>
      <extensions>
      <gpxx:TrackExtension>
        <gpxx:DisplayColor>#0000e0</gpxx:DisplayColor>
      </gpxx:TrackExtension>
    </extensions>
    <trkseg>
      <trkpt lat="-0.00001" lon="-0.00001" />
      <trkpt lat="-0.00014" lon="7619.59126" />
      <trkpt lat="-0.00004" lon="5048.04393" />
      <trkpt lat="0.0002" lon="5309.11929" />

</trkseg>
    <trkseg>
      <trkpt lat="51.37928" lon="0.01905" />
      <trkpt lat="51.37932" lon="0.01904" />
      <trkpt lat="51.37922" lon="0.01817" />

Huh?  Where did the four odd points come from?

No problem, I just edited them out with notepad and all was well.

And a minor incompatibility ...

Garmin Mapsource doesn't like the <extensions> element, it refuses to load gpx files with that in.  But that's not your problem, it's theirs.  Just thought I'd mention it.  I just edit it out with notepad.

Maybe I deserve it for using an obsolete thingy like Mapsource, when I should be using Basecamp (I think ... I haven't bothered investigating Basecamp because Mapsource works for me) 

Euan Uzami

« Reply #289 on: 22 November, 2013, 10:10:21 pm »
Here's another little funny for you. 

I downloaded this track: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/3677426 as a gpx file (Go to export, gpx track)

It contains a single track segment and starts like this

</name>
<trkseg>
<trkpt lat="51.379281" lon="0.01905399999998281">  <ele>67</ele> </trkpt>
<trkpt lat="51.37932" lon="0.01904000000001815"> <ele>67</ele></trkpt> 
<trkpt lat="51.37922" lon="0.01817000000005464"> <ele>68</ele> </trkpt>

Then I loaded it into gpx editor, and did a reduce to 500 points, then a save just this.  Now it has a little four point extra segment at the start with some bonkers co-ords, before it gets into the track proper

</name>
      <extensions>
      <gpxx:TrackExtension>
        <gpxx:DisplayColor>#0000e0</gpxx:DisplayColor>
      </gpxx:TrackExtension>
    </extensions>
    <trkseg>
      <trkpt lat="-0.00001" lon="-0.00001" />
      <trkpt lat="-0.00014" lon="7619.59126" />
      <trkpt lat="-0.00004" lon="5048.04393" />
      <trkpt lat="0.0002" lon="5309.11929" />

</trkseg>
    <trkseg>
      <trkpt lat="51.37928" lon="0.01905" />
      <trkpt lat="51.37932" lon="0.01904" />
      <trkpt lat="51.37922" lon="0.01817" />

Huh?  Where did the four odd points come from?

No problem, I just edited them out with notepad and all was well.

And a minor incompatibility ...

Garmin Mapsource doesn't like the <extensions> element, it refuses to load gpx files with that in.  But that's not your problem, it's theirs.  Just thought I'd mention it.  I just edit it out with notepad.

Maybe I deserve it for using an obsolete thingy like Mapsource, when I should be using Basecamp (I think ... I haven't bothered investigating Basecamp because Mapsource works for me)
Ok the four extra points but sure about that, looks like a bit of an anomaly... Probably something silly though.
The not loading in map source might be fixable, it could be that map source is parsing it lazily and as such being overly strict with how it expects the namespace to be laid out and it might be possible to pander to it without any loss of integrity.
I'll have a look tomorrow afternoon

Euan Uzami

« Reply #290 on: 23 November, 2013, 09:59:05 am »

ok the four extra points (didn't it strike you as odd that it said the track was 30-odd thousand km when you first loaded it in gpxeditor ;) ) - a very numpty mistake on my part, and to do with the slightly proprietary data format i use to transfer between client andserver, I've fixed it in a way that is very slightly imperfect, but the imperfection should give no loss of usability at all and is probably not even noticeable by most people :)

sharing issue (that i found) also fixed.

mapsource will have a look this afternoon.

Toady

« Reply #291 on: 23 November, 2013, 02:46:37 pm »
Thanks Ben.

I'm not so bothered by the Mapsource issue, as I have some history of messing around with XML files,so I can normally get it to load eventually, but if it helps you improve gpxeditor, I'll keep reporting ”funnies” if I find them.

Incidentally, I use gpxeditor for creating tracks (I don't use routes) and mapsource for downloading to my 60csx. If I'm using an externally supplied GPX, as is the case above,I use gpxeditor to reduce to 500 points (limit for saved tracks on the 60csx), then mapsource to download. There may be a better way, but this method works.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #292 on: 23 November, 2013, 04:58:58 pm »
Thanks Ben.

I'm not so bothered by the Mapsource issue, as I have some history of messing around with XML files,so I can normally get it to load eventually, but if it helps you improve gpxeditor, I'll keep reporting ”funnies” if I find them.

Incidentally, I use gpxeditor for creating tracks (I don't use routes) and mapsource for downloading to my 60csx. If I'm using an externally supplied GPX, as is the case above,I use gpxeditor to reduce to 500 points (limit for saved tracks on the 60csx), then mapsource to download. There may be a better way, but this method works.
I might be able to investigate the Garmin communicator plug in, but if it's too complex to do I might decide it's not worth it.
I do appreciate you reporting the funnies as obviously not everyone is as au fait with xml files!

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #293 on: 10 December, 2013, 10:00:17 pm »
With the 'demise??' of BrT, for a while at least, I'm looking at this at last, Ben   :)

I haven't caught up with all the thread yet, but will find time.

Initial comments....

I'm not registered with Google or Microsoft or (please excuse profanity) twatter or arsebook, and not sure why they are mentioned?

I took the plunge and started doing a route and am impressed so far.  :thumbsup:

Especially like the way I can use the Bristol Bath cycle path without having to click it all in in straight line sections.  8) 8)

Not sure why I can't scroll in and out with my 'scroll in and out' wheel though, which works on other planners ??  It's a pain to have to go across to the + and - buttons.....    ???
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #294 on: 11 December, 2013, 11:11:44 am »
Garmin Mapsource doesn't like the <extensions> element, it refuses to load gpx files with that in.  But that's not your problem, it's theirs. 
The not loading in map source might be fixable, it could be that map source is parsing it lazily and as such being overly strict with how it expects the namespace to be laid out ...

... In other words, Mapsource expects well-formed GPX files - whereas most other programs and utilities aren't so picky.
You can't really criticise Mapsource for that.  ;)
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #295 on: 11 December, 2013, 11:45:24 am »
http://www.gpstraining.co.uk/Garmin_GPS_and_Garmin_Ordnance_Survey_mapping_training-days.html

Garmin, in their uncontrolled evolution of incompetence, have unintentionally created entrepreneurial openings.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #296 on: 11 December, 2013, 01:18:07 pm »
Garmin Mapsource doesn't like the <extensions> element, it refuses to load gpx files with that in.  But that's not your problem, it's theirs. 
The not loading in map source might be fixable, it could be that map source is parsing it lazily and as such being overly strict with how it expects the namespace to be laid out ...

... In other words, Mapsource expects well-formed GPX files - whereas most other programs and utilities aren't so picky.
You can't really criticise Mapsource for that.  ;)

It turned out not to be that eventually - it was actually that the colour has to be one of a list of named colours as per http://developer.garmin.com/schemas/gpxx/v3/oxygen/index.html#h421429051 , and I had set it to my default colour was something like #0000dc.  I previously (wrongly) assumed that mapsource was expecting the definition of what namespace the gpxx prefix is to be an attribute of the root, rather than an attribute of the gpxx element itself, whereas my understanding of xml is that it should be able to cope with either.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #297 on: 11 December, 2013, 01:23:59 pm »
With the 'demise??' of BrT, for a while at least, I'm looking at this at last, Ben   :)

I haven't caught up with all the thread yet, but will find time.

Initial comments....

I'm not registered with Google or Microsoft or (please excuse profanity) twatter or arsebook, and not sure why they are mentioned?

Just because they are the methods of logging in. You don't have to log in to use the site, but you do if you want to 'share' routes. You can then just copy and paste a URL somewhere and when people click on it, it should load up that route.

Not sure why I can't scroll in and out with my 'scroll in and out' wheel though, which works on other planners ??  It's a pain to have to go across to the + and - buttons.....    ???

Not sure about that - not seen that issue before...
WHat make of mouse is it?
Are you using a mac?
Does it work on maps.google.co.uk?
Does it work in a different browser?

Toady

« Reply #298 on: 13 December, 2013, 08:01:16 pm »
What would be nice would be a total climb for route (estimation).  I know this would be fraught with difficulty, because the heights that you get aren't spot heights actually on the route, but you have some data there for the graph, so you could just sum up all of the height differences that are positive (and possibly all that are negative too.

I've just planned two possible routes for tomorrow and it would be nice to give the rough (relative) total climb for each route as well as the distance when I email my cycling mate.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #299 on: 13 December, 2013, 11:14:07 pm »
What would be nice would be a total climb for route (estimation).  I know this would be fraught with difficulty, because the heights that you get aren't spot heights actually on the route, but you have some data there for the graph, so you could just sum up all of the height differences that are positive (and possibly all that are negative too.

I've just planned two possible routes for tomorrow and it would be nice to give the rough (relative) total climb for each route as well as the distance when I email my cycling mate.

yes, I could do that. You could compare gpxeditors estimate of one route with gpxeditors estimate of another route, but what you couldn't do is compare it with something else's estimation of the same route and expect it to be the same.