Author Topic: Start Time/Group  (Read 25939 times)

Re: Start Time/Group
« Reply #25 on: 26 June, 2018, 09:04:44 pm »
Went with the vedettes last time - leaving them to their road race at the 300km mark yet still finished in front of many at 68 hours.

This time I'm hoping to go as a vélos spéciaux riding a Raleigh Twenty / towards the front end of the 90 hour group as last time I missed most things in chasing the time limit.

Fantastic. Basket on the back or a rack bag? Flowers optional.

Bag on the back, basket on the front with flowers was my thought.

« Reply #26 on: 26 June, 2018, 09:45:34 pm »

I'm sure I saw Mr McNasty on one of those converted to recumbent.  Unless it was a Daylight nightmare.

« Reply #27 on: 26 June, 2018, 10:05:25 pm »
Heather interviewed Dave Atkinson on the finish line in 2015. he did 67 hours, and he's ridden the Pendle 600.
http://shprung.com/pbp/?mode=info&frame=Z083

Interview.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTZ2RsPuOPg

Dave and I rode together for more-or-less the whole way. He did find the state of some riders a bit of an eye-opener, but I keep pointing out to him that he didn't see the real strugglers, as we finished with relatively strong 90-hour riders who'd have a finishing time of 75-80 hours or so, and we finished at 1 am, and never really experienced the last night on the road.

He's still torn between getting a good 90-hour start, or kicking off with the vedettes. Me too, to be honest.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #28 on: 27 June, 2018, 07:45:09 am »
The right group will depend on your speed. I got it right for me last time, by starting at the back of the vedettes (group E).  I was ahead of the bulge all the way, so the staff were relatively fresh at the controls, I was riding with people who were generally alert and good at riding in groups, and I didn't feel rushed.  I made a mistake of starting in one of the front groups of the vedettes in 2011 and found that too twitchy and tetchy.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

AK

• Bloggy blog
« Reply #29 on: 17 August, 2018, 07:48:55 pm »
Ladies and gents hope that this is the right place to ask this question.  Bear with me. So for the last five or six months I’ve had it in my head that my big target for next year is PBP. I’m properly excited about it. Other than a 200 next month I’ve ridden an SR series and been bitten by the Audax bug. I’ve got in mind the qualifiers I want to do next year and everything perfect. Then today happened. I started looking at the dates of the PBP and realised that the Thursday 22nd August next year is GCSE results day and my son will be getting his results that day. I need to be there for them so that means to take part I would have to go off in the 80 hour group with a finish time at midnight on the Wednesday to stand any chance of getting back to London by Thursday morning. Assuming I can do it what are the chances of then getting a train back home to London by Thursday morning? If I’m being really stupidly over optimistic then please let me know and I’ll go off and weep gently in the corner.

rob

« Reply #30 on: 17 August, 2018, 08:13:47 pm »
Last time I went with the 90hr group and finished in 72hrs at 6pm on the Wednesday.

Depends how fast you are and you haven’t given us any info on that.  If you minimise faff time at the controls there’s a good chance you could be on a Eurostar first thing Thursday morning or even late Wednesday night.

I remember riding with a guy several editions ago who rang home at one of the controls to find out his kids results.

AK

• Bloggy blog
« Reply #31 on: 17 August, 2018, 08:42:55 pm »
Thanks for your reply Rob. Appreciate it’s a very open ended question. Well, I guess I’m (a bit) faster then average (but not as fast as you!) Rode 245m at this year’s National 12hr and did LWL in 18hrs. My 600 went a bit pear shaped owing to the heat so was quite a bit slower as I was having trouble digesting food (first and only time this has happened). I guess I’m thinking I could do it, but I’d be so worried about constantly clock watching that it would turn it from a hard, but enjoyable ride into a a stress fest. Don’t think phoning home for them is an option.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #32 on: 17 August, 2018, 08:55:28 pm »
So an a newbie at PBP, I'm also in a quandry about this.

The best calibration point I have would be the West Highlands 1000k which I did this year.
My overall elapsed time for 1000k was 66:53, so basically 67 hours.
My moving average was 25.7 kph.

I found that to be a good pace, not too fast, not to slow. The sleep stops were fairly short; we finished each day about dinner time and set off again in the wee small hours.

What should I be looking at for PBP based on that?

« Reply #33 on: 17 August, 2018, 09:27:41 pm »
For a train on thursday morning you simply have to book your Eurostar early. Formally they won't guarantee that your bike can travel with you on the Eurostar but when you have the luxury to collect your bike in the evening in London, then this wouldn't be an issue. Both startplaces which are discussed at the moment have a good railconnection to the main Parisian railwaystations. You'll need Paris Nord though.

rob

« Reply #34 on: 18 August, 2018, 07:33:20 am »
Thanks for your reply Rob. Appreciate it’s a very open ended question. Well, I guess I’m (a bit) faster then average (but not as fast as you!) Rode 245m at this year’s National 12hr and did LWL in 18hrs. My 600 went a bit pear shaped owing to the heat so was quite a bit slower as I was having trouble digesting food (first and only time this has happened). I guess I’m thinking I could do it, but I’d be so worried about constantly clock watching that it would turn it from a hard, but enjoyable ride into a a stress fest. Don’t think phoning home for them is an option.

Just before the last PBP I did 258 miles on that same 12hr course so you’re in about the right place with a year to build.   You probably don’t ‘need’ to go off in the 80hr group although the faster group riding will likely get you to Brest more quickly.  I passed a lot of vedettes on the way back last time.

The other think I’d say is that you can be pretty messed up at the finish with simple tasks taking a bit longer than usual.   It may me quite hard work co-ordinating yourself to get to the station or airport unless you have some padding.

rob

« Reply #35 on: 18 August, 2018, 08:50:07 am »
Just realised Rob junior will be doing his GCSEs in 2023.......

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #36 on: 18 August, 2018, 09:33:31 am »
I did sub-70 hours at my first PBP and I was fit but not racing fit. Minimise time at controls, aim at 500/ 400/ 300 splits (or 600/ 400/ 200 from the 80hr start) and it should work. You can hold evens for half a day, so the speed itself isn't the problem, just holding concentration for three days. Concentrating isn't the same as a stress-fest. That said, I have deliberately chosen to take longer to finish in subsequent PBPs, just for enjoyment.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #37 on: 18 August, 2018, 12:36:49 pm »
There are lots of towns and villages on the route which make a great effort to support and enjoy the event. If you're not after a quick time, then it's worth taking a few minutes out now and again to celebrate with the locals...they will love you for it.

The control at Loudeac (445kms) is a riot. Easy to waste time but a shame not to soak up the atmosphere.

Similarly, there will be a 3 day party at the village of St. Martin des Pres approximately 480/730kms into the ride....great place to grab some frites if you bounce the food at Loudeac.

Sizun at about 575 and 655 kms has a chilled festive feel to it after descending or before climbing Roc Trevezel. Mamers at 1080 kms is another great pit stop during daylight (ish) hours.

Finally, if you finish between midnight and 6 a.m in the morning, there won't be too many people around to cheer you home....but after 10 a.m, well, it's an emotional experience.

On the 90 hour start, the more you can stick to a 'normal' sleep routine...albeit truncated, the better you'll feel in the latter stages.

#makewattsnotwar

« Reply #38 on: 18 August, 2018, 03:05:04 pm »
I wouldn't take any roadside facilities for granted. St Martin des Pres might well do something, but the bar/auberge wasn't open in 2015, as it had been previously. The neighbouring village, Merleac, had facilities up to 2011.

Gorron is another example of dwindling facilities. It used to have sleep and eating facilities, and a rousing welcome by the side of the road. There was also a branch of Lidl on the route, which was useful. There's now a big Super U, about 600 metres off route. https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@48.4122552,-0.9294184,7827a,35y,84.86h,43.67t/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

A slavish following of the route will tend to place reliance on controls. In reality, there are plenty of shops just off the route. However, they are typical of modern France, whereas the PBP experience is partly a nostalgia trip. The current state of the £ might force more Brits into Netto in Tinteniac. https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@48.3280842,-1.8391137,3a,55.8y,131.23h,87.26t/data=!3m5!1e1!3m3!1sVt6c00yhytkXTSbBad6uMA!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo3.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DVt6c00yhytkXTSbBad6uMA%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D86.12449%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100?hl=en

Bairn Again

« Reply #39 on: 28 August, 2018, 10:36:45 pm »
If Im there, I'll do what I did last time, and select one of the final 90 hr groups. 

Passing other 90 hr riders was a great morale booster at the start and it allowed for a later final finish time on the last day rather than an early morning dash.  Never found queues a big issue, either for food or beds (ok waited 10 mins at Loudeac on the way back for a kip). 

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #40 on: 02 September, 2018, 09:32:34 am »
If Im there, I'll do what I did last time, and select one of the final 90 hr groups. 

Passing other 90 hr riders was a great morale booster at the start and it allowed for a later final finish time on the last day rather than an early morning dash.  Never found queues a big issue, either for food or beds (ok waited 10 mins at Loudeac on the way back for a kip).

I find I rather like starting at the back of the field - worked well on the last LEL, apart from food shortage issues at some controls. Catching riders is very good for morale isn't it? Heck, I've even caught Vedettes - ok they were mostly a bit wrecked/injured, in the closing stages! I'll be carrying a fair bit of food for the first 300km anyway, so won't be too fussed about eating in the controls.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #41 on: 18 September, 2018, 12:43:49 pm »
Do we know if start times will be the same as 2015? Or is that something that changes from year to year?

Currently leaning towards an early 90hr start but I quite like the sound of starting at the back of the 90hr bunch. Hmmm. Still a few months before I need to decide yet...

ETA: just spotted this on the AUK website which answers my question neatly...
Start times
from 16:00 Sunday 18 August 2019 for an 80 hour time limit
from 18:00 Sunday 18 August 2019 for an 90 hour time limit
from 05:00 Monday 19 August 2019 for an 84 hour time limit
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #42 on: 18 September, 2018, 01:37:07 pm »
Everyone has an opinion on this, so here's mine:

On the Sunday, you spend the whole day hanging around near the start, waiting to go.  If you're very lucky, you might be able to get a bit of sleep, but for most people nerves or excitement put paid to that.  So, why waste time that you could be riding?  I'd go for the earliest start possible, enjoy the enthusiasm of the spectators and food/drink distributors at the roadside, get to the first couple of controls while the food is still fresh - and the volunteers likewise - and enjoy watching the racing trains from later groups sail by.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #43 on: 18 September, 2018, 01:55:37 pm »
Everyone has an opinion on this, so here's mine:

On the Sunday, you spend the whole day hanging around near the start, waiting to go.  If you're very lucky, you might be able to get a bit of sleep, but for most people nerves or excitement put paid to that.  So, why waste time that you could be riding?  I'd go for the earliest start possible, enjoy the enthusiasm of the spectators and food/drink distributors at the roadside, get to the first couple of controls while the food is still fresh - and the volunteers likewise - and enjoy watching the racing trains from later groups sail by.

That sounds like words of wisdom to me. Part of me likes the idea of the 84hr start but I know I won't sleep on Sunday night so I'd be better off being on the road and napping when/if necessary.

Feanor mentioned the WH1K earlier. I was a bit wary of the 8pm start on that ride but it actually worked very well, so I'm taking that experience as a useful indicator for how PBP is likely to pan out. I somehow managed the full 456km before the first sleep stop, even with the choppy bit down to Campbelltown, so doing similar on PBP should be a doddle by comparison - and the plan is to be fitter by next August than I was last June. If I can get away soon after 6pm, that will give me an extra couple of hours riding in daylight to get some miles under my belt.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #44 on: 18 September, 2018, 02:01:13 pm »
Have done the 90 and 84 hour starts, so definitely starting with the Vedettes next year to complete the set. My favourite plan at the moment is the last group, for the same reasons as CET states: I don't want to get involved in the full on race, just ride with a faster bunch for as long as I can be bothered.

I'd happily do the 90 hour start again, but will never again do the 84 hour start as I didn't sleep overnight anyway and the start was no different to a UK audax at 6am, none of the fanfare I realised I enjoyed about PBP.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #45 on: 18 September, 2018, 03:27:16 pm »
2 x 90, 2 x 84 and 1 x 90 VS for me. I'll probably go 90 VS again. The 84hr starts are a little boring in comparison to the 90. The 84 riding standard in groups is a bit better though.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #46 on: 23 September, 2018, 07:29:51 pm »
I've done two 90h starts and an 84h last time. I thought getting a bit of sleep on Sunday night before the Monday morning start might be a good idea. The start was decidedly underwhelming from the velodrome (I've had more enthusiastic starts on 200s!) and as a slower rider, there was little support when you passed through towns as as far as they were concerned, PBP went through the day before. Towards the end, we were still within the time limits but checkpoints were stripping down and some had no food left. Will definitely be back to the 90h this time.

“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” ― Albert Einstein

« Reply #47 on: 13 November, 2018, 09:31:10 am »
Sun and moon for the first night (for those starting on Sunday):
https://app.photoephemeris.com/?ll=48.521344,0.545183&dt=20190818010700%2B0200&z=13&spn=0.04,0.16&center=48.5159,0.5479
Sunset: 2107, Moonrise (90%): 2243 (at Mortagne). Sunrise: 0703 (Fougères).

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #48 on: 16 November, 2018, 05:43:43 pm »
80h time again, with the aim to finish in two days
I have committed to ride this and I am intending to get fit and see if I can (for one last time?) crack a big ride with some fast boys?

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

simonp

« Reply #49 on: 22 November, 2018, 11:34:03 am »
Going to try 80h again. With gears.