Author Topic: [HAMR] Tommy Godwin record  (Read 96819 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Tommy Godwin record
« Reply #50 on: 29 September, 2014, 10:02:42 am »
Which companies have you approached so far? You were talking about Raleigh earlier this year. What equipment/ clothing/ shoes/ etc do you need?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #51 on: 29 September, 2014, 10:41:21 am »
Do you want some free photography for the website? Am a short training ride away from MK..

« Reply #52 on: 29 September, 2014, 10:41:56 am »
i will ask on wednesdays ride what help/support Audax club portsmouth can offer. :thumbsup:

« Reply #53 on: 29 September, 2014, 11:09:54 am »
No advice to offer on how to set up the fund but well definitely chip in when the time comes.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #54 on: 29 September, 2014, 11:25:51 am »
The Ultra Marathon Cycling Association, UMCA, who set the rules for RAAM and lots of other races of that nature, are taking some interest and I believe are thinking about a set of rules for an annual mileage record.
The UMCA also have their own live tracking devices which they use in RAAM, failing that, I may be able to get a tracking device from Yellowbrick as used by Hoppo on his record attempts.

Without in any way wanting to put any extra burden on you, I'd like to explore that to see if we can find a way to log it as DIY.
A 1000 point season? (even if it falls foul of the 50% rule)   That would put Bikey-Mikey back in his box.    ;D  ;D  ;D

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #55 on: 29 September, 2014, 12:28:29 pm »
No advice to offer on how to set up the fund but well definitely chip in when the time comes.

+1

Purely for selfish reasons, mind.  So I can say,  "Yeah, of course, I've ridden with him, you know".
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #56 on: 29 September, 2014, 12:40:52 pm »
I'll probably be able to kick in something towards the end of the year.

Other things to consider should be getting some corporate sponsorship through any of the consumables. A scout group that races pedalcars has sponsorship from Schwalbe that gets them half-price purchase on all tyres. They have an infinitely smaller potential audience than you do so similar companies should be happy to offer at least a similar deal. If you get in touch with publications like Cycling Weekly etc and get a weekly Teethgrinder Watch on page 3 with some guaranteed name dropping then that could sweeten the pot. Chains, innertubes, tyres, perhaps some energy drink/bar people could all be interested. If someone with some publicity skills is thinking of donating, it may be more valuable to offer some sponsorship negotiation support. Even without something like Guinness recognition, a well publicised attempt should draw sufficient interest.

« Reply #57 on: 29 September, 2014, 12:56:18 pm »
Good luck, Steve. 

It would be an incredible achievement.  I'll certainly contribute to the fund. 

I had a think about this on my ride in to work this morning and had a couple of thoughts

You probably need to put a team together to help you with this, most likely from YACF volunteers. 
The first thing is to get someone on board as project manager to co-ordinate things and help you get set up, think about finances, what else is needed, etc. 
It would also be very helpful to have someone who knows about charity / fundraising to take on that bit.  I expect a lot of money could be raised if it was gone about in the right way. 
One marketing tactic might be to divide the year into days and say each day costs £x, and 'sell' / auction each of the days - so that potentially you have 365 people / companies / clubs each giving you a day.
There will also be other roles: route planning, medical input, etc, etc - but the best way is for you to find and appoint your project manager and get them to sign up all the others so you only have to think about the cycling.

On the event, I understand you are allowed to draft, so you could have a rota of us who would ride with you for a day, essentially as your domestique - keep you company, look after food, give you a tow most of the day, etc.   

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #58 on: 29 September, 2014, 12:56:35 pm »
I think you need to find a couple of people to help you who are super media-savvy and have some time to help you with the online stuff.

In this day and age, if it isn't online, then it didn't happen. 

Personally, I think you'd want Facebook, Twitter and Strava all being updated on a very regular basis and you are not going to be in a state to do it yourself. 

If you look at some of the big mileage riders on Strava, they build up quite a following pretty quickly.  Good example is cycle_dr1 - he recently broke the "most miles in a week" record - http://road.cc/content/news/121794-richmond-bike-mechanic-bruce-berkeley-track-seven-day-cycling-record

Start sitting at the top of the leader boards on all the Strava challenges every month and people start taking notice.  Linked in with decent updates on Facebook/Twitter, you can start to build quite a following, hopefully with some willing to dip their hands into their pockets.

My biggest concern is honestly this (and in no way do I doubt you Steve), unless there is some 'official' recognition of the ride it will be harder to raise support (without Guinness and/or UMCA, you're just a chap riding his bike a long way every day).  Is that a fair comment? 

Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #59 on: 29 September, 2014, 01:12:48 pm »
I think you need to find a couple of people to help you who are super media-savvy and have some time to help you with the online stuff.

Wholeheartedly agree with the sentiments above.

You need a manager/PR/sponsorship team to work on your behalf while you concentrate on the mundane stuff of riding.  I have no doubt you will get support from the folk on YACF, but more 'professional' support would make your challenge even more achievable.

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #60 on: 29 September, 2014, 01:44:54 pm »
Like I said before, I'm happy to chuck some dosh in the pot...

I never understand these 'giving' websites, but if it's all laid out in idiot speak I'll have a go !!
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

« Reply #61 on: 29 September, 2014, 06:54:54 pm »
I think that the first thing to do is to get the Go Fund Me started so I'll have another bash at that. This will launch itself onto Facebook, where I could put it on the AUK page and hopefully spread around via AUK members cycling clubs on Facebook.

Dave Barter (Citzenfish) has agreed to be the "manager" partly for research for a book, as he is already a published author. He also has contacts in the BBC (Dave was on The One Show talking about Tommy Godwin about a year ago) as well as Cycling Weekly, who started this off in the first place.

Recruiting people is what I'm trying to do here now.
I've had a lot of offers of a bed for the night etc but this all needs to be organised.
Having someone in charge of equipment, food, logistics and routes would be very useful. Those people would organise my routes (which need to be good, not along slow lanes or through busy traffic with lots of traffic lights, nor too hilly) and where I was going. How I'd get a new chain or tyre or whatever when I need one. Routes would become pretty straight forward as I'd use arterial routes to get to areas of the country then it would be a matter of getting to local areas. There aren't that many good roads which avoid busy towns and aren't the sort of lanes you'd expect on a Wessex SR series.
In winter I expect to wear a chain out every 2 days if it's wet, so if I'm staying away from home for a while I'd need someone to organise a chain to be ready, plus any other equipment that might be needed.
Ideally I'd arrive at wherever I'm staying that night, be given food, a shower then sent to bed while they wash my clothes, check my bike, charge batteries, record the days ride and put the next days ride in the GPS and probably update facebook and the website etc. Then wake me up and kick me out the next morning.
Then after the people in charge of all that would be those who actually do it. I think it best if we get people in charge first and they can go on to find their own people to help.

I'd chase businesses for sponsorship after everything is set up. If we can set it up to be independent of sponsorship from companies we would be in control. That would mean that we don't have to take whatever we are offered as it would be a bonus and not make or break.
I also agree with what Dave Barter told me, that sponsors might not be too keen until a few months in when it looks like I will succeed. This also ties in with what Marcus JB says, that it would probably make all the difference if the UMCA verified this. They are the only organisation who would as far as I know, unless Audax UK want to. The RRA will not and I'm sure that Dave Barter will tell you how little chance there is of Guinness verifying the ride!
Again, having someone a lot more savvy than me about approaching companies would be very good.

So I agree with all the ideas here, we just need people to do all that. Getting professionals would be very good, but they'd want paying. I might barely have enough to do this without any further expenses as it is so far. Hence my haste for getting the funding set up first. Then soon after going to companies.

I'll hold back about having pacers until I've heard from UMCA about what rules they set up. I think that Tommy Godwin had pacers, but I'll have advantages that he never had.

« Reply #62 on: 29 September, 2014, 07:26:06 pm »
Which companies have you approached so far? You were talking about Raleigh earlier this year. What equipment/ clothing/ shoes/ etc do you need?
None so far.
Might as well do a list.

At least 2 or 3 pairs of shoes (I reckon on 20,000 miles a pair and have 2 pairs)
DHB shorts. I have about 5 pairs, which I have doubts about them lasting 80,000 miles.
New tights
2-3 pairs of winter gloves
base layers
waterproof jacket (I have a few, but they aren't great)

Spare pair of wheels for disk brakes. Anything that can handle the abuse, can fit tubeless (preferably HP as well) tyres and are fast (Stans 340 built with SS bladed spokes on Hope disk hubs with Hutchinson Intensity tubeless tyres are what I built)
spare Hope bearings for headset, wheels and bottom bracket

Additional backup lights as I expect them to fail at some point, especially if it's a wet winter.
rear lights (Smart)
Front lights (Cree lights from Amazon)

GPS devices (I think that Dave Barter has a boxfull because he tests them)

Steel forks for the Specialized backup bike, which has carbon forks with an aluminium steerer, which I believe are prone to failure.
A good cartridge bearing (like Hope) headset to fit the Specialized
Ceramic rim brake pads for the Specialized
An SQR saddlebag would be handy (mine is falling to bits)
8 speed chains. Lots of them!
Chainsets (I'm using a triple)
cassettes, though I have a pretty good stash
tubeless tyres I'm using Hutchinson Intensity but may use Atoms in the summer
tubeless sealant
spare SPD pedals
BB7 disk brake pads
mudguards for the Specialized
High 5 zero/Nuun hydration tablets
Whey protien and recovery protien (fast food)

While we're talking companies and food etc, it might worth asking hotel/pub/restaurant chains.

I may need a helmet if UMCA regulate the ride and insist on it, as they do for at least some of their races. :(

All I can think of for now.

Before I go firing off emails to Wiggle etc. Any advice on how I could approach companies for that lot would be much appreciated so that I do it well. Or if anyone is good at or even enjoys that sort of thing and could do it for me.

« Reply #63 on: 29 September, 2014, 08:25:52 pm »
Buy three bikes identical.

Ride one. Have the second as reserve and the third in bits to put on the bike that just broke.
Any spare part used is immediately replaced from the supplier.

A mechanic to do the repair work while you are riding your day's miles.

Well that's how a pro cycling team operate.

« Reply #64 on: 29 September, 2014, 08:42:43 pm »
Buy three bikes identical.

Ride one. Have the second as reserve and the third in bits to put on the bike that just broke.
Any spare part used is immediately replaced from the supplier.

A mechanic to do the repair work while you are riding your day's miles.

Well that's how a pro cycling team operate.

It's a very good plan if you have the money.
What I've done so far is to try and put myself in the position where I can get to have a go.  It's not the best way because I'm limited by lack of money. It's a worst case scenario if you like but it could be the only chance I get.
That's where getting sponsorship from companies comes in. I doubt that Wiggo pops into Evans to buy half a dozen Pinarellos. Pinarello give him the bikes and even pay him to ride them!
It also means that I can be more picky. A decent road bike with top end carbon wheels will go very well, but carbon rims won't last in bad weather and are expensive to replace. I'd demand either lots of expensive wheels etc, something more suitable or if they won't supply what is needed tell them to go jump because what I have is better for the job. I can't do that if I'm relying on them.
Talking to Hoppo about sponsorship, there is also a lot of jumping through hoops to be done as well, which I won't have time to do, unless I can do that afterwards when I'll also be looking for a job.

« Reply #65 on: 29 September, 2014, 09:01:11 pm »
 Happy to stump up some cash as I would be useless at pretty much anything else.
Attempting to do it for charity would likely help sponsorship as it might help get some media attention, but would likely require some time you might not have to do local radio or local papers.

« Reply #66 on: 29 September, 2014, 09:23:10 pm »
Happy to stump up some cash as I would be useless at pretty much anything else.
Attempting to do it for charity would likely help sponsorship as it might help get some media attention, but would likely require some time you might not have to do local radio or local papers.

I'll most likely need someone to do all that kind of stuff too if it does take off. Otherwise all the interviews would go something like, "Sorry, but I've got to ride my bike now, byeeee." ;D

« Reply #67 on: 29 September, 2014, 09:51:20 pm »
For approaching a company for support, you need a marketing package. You need to sell yourself, the quality of the endeavour, the potential exposure and the promise of reflected glory. You need someone a bit silvertongued to pitch it and inspire confidence.

Probably what you need to do right now is draw up a full needs assessment down to the nth degree and then break everything down into five or six categories. That's about three days work there. Then you need a manager for each category to sit under a central manager/promoter. Those people aren't going to organise anything, they'll be organising teams. Volunters will be easy. Volunteer managers will be difficult.

Depending on when you plan to start, thet team needs to be appointed and set in place wthin the next month.

« Reply #68 on: 29 September, 2014, 10:11:52 pm »
Would it be worth speaking to Audax U.K about sponsorship?
You're a well known and respected member who's actively helped people to get there SR's.
We know that there is a surplus of cash there.
Your endeavour would obviously raise the profile of long distance cycling too.
We all would love to see you do well with this, it would be a shame if the club that promotes long distance cycling in the U.K couldn't help.

Yes, I was thinking along those lines.

« Reply #69 on: 29 September, 2014, 10:17:05 pm »
CTT is sitting on a pile of cash too.

« Reply #70 on: 29 September, 2014, 10:20:01 pm »
Now...this will be something special and'll definitely get my support :thumbsup:
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

« Reply #71 on: 29 September, 2014, 10:46:59 pm »
For the bike(s), I'm thinking this could be a massive opportunity for a UK manufacturer to market themselves by providing you with the bikes...think Mike Cotty/Cannondale/Mavic type arrangement.  You've certainly got the huge list of previous achievements to support the cause, so I'd hope they'd be a manufacturer who'd help....as I said earlier, this will be something special, so deserves the support of the cycling industry!
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

Rich XAB

• Dulwich on the outside, Peckham on the inside!
« Reply #72 on: 30 September, 2014, 10:15:36 am »
This all sounds very inspiring and I'll be donating as soon as possible. All the very best!  :thumbsup:

JamesBradbury

• The before-ride picture is even worse
    • James Thinks
« Reply #73 on: 30 September, 2014, 12:52:53 pm »
Good luck, I'll certainly chip in.

Maybe there should be a new badge  ;) - RRTYx28 as you'll be doing at least 200km every day of each month - could be RRTYx29 in 2016 due to the leap year... maybe the extra day would help!

« Reply #74 on: 30 September, 2014, 05:27:05 pm »
Very inspiring.  As with so many others I will certainly chip in...just need the details.

And if 2015 is your year, I guess there's little point anyone else entering this one http://www.aukweb.net/results/mileater/ :thumbsup:
37.9 miles from Marsh Gibbon