Author Topic: LEL 2021 Route  (Read 41677 times)

bairn again

Re: LEL2021 - route details
« Reply #150 on: 07 May, 2019, 04:32:35 pm »
Having realised that the requirement is only one way ie N/W -> S/E Id say that this is as good as it gets if you want to see the sights. 

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29919352

Points to note

- 1st 11 km is on NCN and the majority is on a nice tarmac bike path (as per Auld Alliance & WH1000)

- This does not cross the tram lines at Haymarket, it stays parallel to them all the way to Sth St Andrew Street.  The "dodgy" tram line crossing at Haymarket only happens if youre heading West so thats avoided.   

- The crossing of the tram lines is at an oblique angle but is easily made into a 90 degree turn by a quick "keep left to cross right" turn.  As a comparison I recall crossing a railway line on the Green & Yellow 300 on Saturday that was at a less favourable angle and which had zero warning in advance.

-  This is the Hollywood approach into Edinburgh as the castle and the Royal Mile skyline are revealed.   

- Princes Street is open only to buses, trams, taxis and bicycles.  Local buses (the maroon ones and the ones you see most frequently) have a good reputation re cyclists.  I'm sure they would remind their drivers in advance if we asked them.  Ditto the trams as they are sister companies.         

- The bit at the bottom of The Mound (*) gets busy during the Fringe as it hosts a ticket office.

Im happy to road test this (or any variant that alwyn / wiklyboy want me to try out) next midweek and can take copious photos if that helps. 

* stop sniggering at the back.  yes you.  And you as well.   :hand:

« Reply #151 on: 08 May, 2019, 11:59:55 am »
Having realised that the requirement is only one way ie N/W -> S/E Id say that this is as good as it gets if you want to see the sights. 

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29919352

Points to note

- 1st 11 km is on NCN and the majority is on a nice tarmac bike path (as per Auld Alliance & WH1000)

- This does not cross the tram lines at Haymarket, it stays parallel to them all the way to Sth St Andrew Street.  The "dodgy" tram line crossing at Haymarket only happens if youre heading West so thats avoided.   

- The crossing of the tram lines is at an oblique angle but is easily made into a 90 degree turn by a quick "keep left to cross right" turn.  As a comparison I recall crossing a railway line on the Green & Yellow 300 on Saturday that was at a less favourable angle and which had zero warning in advance.

I also hadn't realised there was a requirement for only one way. As bairn again says, the dodgy tram line crossing at Haymarket is avoided going NW -> SE as per his route. You wouldn't need a marshall there at all.
You do get a dodgy tram line crossing on Princess St instead. I really don't like it but I am very nervous around the tram lines - probably excessively so.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #152 on: 08 May, 2019, 12:23:09 pm »
I'm not sure what I think about Tram Lines on an Audax. I do think they're a serious hazard for tired/decrepit audaxers - but then so is the public highway in general.

A number of other events have tricky crossings - the oblique one on the BCM is mainly encountered in the dark without incident. I've done two (long) events on the continent where we crossed city centres that were riddled with the flipping things.

My gut feeling about all this is seeing the tourist sights of Edinburgh would be lovely - a little delay for zombie pedestrians and/or tram tracks would be a price worth paying.  :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #153 on: 08 May, 2019, 12:32:50 pm »
I'm reminded of this giant hole in St Ives, which from what I recall claimed a few victims in 2017.

« Reply #154 on: 08 May, 2019, 12:42:43 pm »
Assuming I had to ride the LEL route as outlined, given the history of wind direction on LEL, and based on having ridden the roads on LEL, bairn again's 'Edinburgh Preston Edinburgh', and Sonya Crawford's 'Only for Softies'. I would want to ride Scotland the other way round.

The series of valleys from Langholm to the Granites are a pleasure with a tailwind, and not having your nose to the stem, or having to concentrate on following a wheel, allow unfettered appreciation of the views. The view from the Granites is also inspiring, and would whet the appetite for an Edinburgh visit.

That's assuming that there's a desire to retain the Southern Uplands. The biggest 'crunch' that happened there was in 2009, on the return at Eskdalemuir. The outbound was crowded too, but I stayed at the Tushielaw Inn in 2005 and 2009 on the way out, when the traffic was two way.

« Reply #155 on: 08 May, 2019, 01:14:03 pm »
Given that the route SE from the Forth Road Bridge (FRB) through the city has been 'sorted' above, the route north from Moffat to the FRB is not without its (route design) challenges.
I thought the manking two years ago about the state of the A701 was completely overstated and who could not have enjoyed climbing past the Devil's Beef Tub? But the Pentlands sit directly on the line between Broughton and the FRB and going south of the Pentlands means traversing the tedious outskirts of the city. So if north it is, I hope we don't get sucked up towards Abington, unimaginatively parallelling the M74. Gretna to Moffat was enough of that last time. I guess crabbing across from Broughton (A701) on the B7016 through Biggar and Newbiggin to the A70 and thence to the FRB via Kirknewton (B7031) and Kirkliston (B7030) is a workable, scenic option.

« Reply #156 on: 08 May, 2019, 01:30:35 pm »
Is the idea to cross Edinburgh twice, or take a direct route from Moffat to the Forth bridge?

That's a good point. The Deloitte 'Ride Across Britain' will go up to Abington, then to Hopetoun for an overnight stay. https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29222267

The Pentland Hills dictate that to a large extent. The desire for more interest by passing through Edinburgh may result in more riding next to the M74, on poor surfaces.  Clydesdale's nice though.

Given that the Deloitte 'Ride Across Britain' will put 700 riders, all starting from Carlisle, in September 2019, then their route will give a strong indication of the viability of the Abingdon A73/A70/B road route to the bridge. It's a route I've mainly followed on Sonya Crawford's 'Only For Softies'.

If combined with the Langholm/A7 section, I'd rather go through Eskdalemuir Northbound, and visit Edinburgh before Dunfermline.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #157 on: 08 May, 2019, 02:45:10 pm »
This is a route I took through that corridor last year
https://ridewithgps.com/trips/27385472

Coming over the beef tubles then turning against the route from Broughton to Carwrath may feel a bit of a pain

Carnwrath High Street was in the middle of being dug up so I had to walk that section on the pavement but was better than the advertised detour.

The bits around Livvy weren't exactly nice but that's a Scottish new town for you.
The west lothian and lanarkshire muirs were dull, it was like being caught in an endless version of mid-fife.
My route from Newbridge to Dalmeny was pretty rubbish too but it's compacted gravel on some bits of the old railway.

If I was doing it again I'd probably try and get over to Winchburgh to get to Kirkliston then use the B800... I've not been on it since long before it was renamed from the dreadful A8000.

« Reply #158 on: 08 May, 2019, 05:05:01 pm »
Re the return leg through Edinburgh, suspending the mandatory route but recommending the North Edinburgh Path Network of quiet, repurposed railway lines would give a reasonably safe back-road/off-road route through the city that could pass through the Royal Park (Arthur's Seat) on its way south but also allow people to take a short detour into the city centre if they wish. I agree with FIMM about the tram tracks.

« Reply #159 on: 08 May, 2019, 06:24:17 pm »
Re the return leg through Edinburgh, suspending the mandatory route but recommending the North Edinburgh Path Network of quiet, repurposed railway lines would give a reasonably safe back-road/off-road route through the city that could pass through the Royal Park (Arthur's Seat) on its way south but also allow people to take a short detour into the city centre if they wish. I agree with FIMM about the tram tracks.

I think there's a lot of merit to that, you know.

« Reply #160 on: 09 May, 2019, 07:30:43 am »
This is an area and roads I know well and ride a lot.

My chosen route from Moffat to FRB (variations on Fifeingeejits suggestion) would be : https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29933515

Also taking BA's route and varying/extending it all the way out to the Granites, using the Roslin cyclepath to cross the bypass https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29933543

I think the idea of passing through Edinburgh on the way south is an excellent one, and the various suggestions/options from some of the "locals" on this thread make viable, pleasant, spectacular in places, routes through the city,

« Reply #161 on: 09 May, 2019, 10:03:50 am »
My chosen route from Moffat to FRB (variations on Fifeingeejits suggestion) would be : https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29933515

100+ km? That's going to be one the longest stretch without a control. Hopefully not too many reach Moffat on Monday night and decide to leave it till the morning like they did for Louth-Pocklington.

Planet X Paul

• The Green Machine
« Reply #162 on: 09 May, 2019, 11:57:07 am »

100+ km? That's going to be one the longest stretch without a control. Hopefully not too many reach Moffat on Monday night and decide to leave it till the morning like they did for Louth-Pocklington.

Yes, and it's still over 10 Kms from the start of the bridge to the control in Dunfermline.  A very long section indeed.

« Reply #163 on: 09 May, 2019, 12:08:38 pm »
What's the issue with sleeping at Moffat and riding to Dunfermline in the morning/dawn? I estimate the bulge (max plus one SD) will not reach Moffat till dawn on Tuesday. I think Brampton will be a more likely 'pinch-point' (0600-1200 starts).
I would have thought any 117 hour rider would have been content, pleased even, to complete 630km by midnight Monday. Depending on start time (0900-1600) that implies speed made good of between 16.1 and 19.6kph with time in hand of between 11+ and 18+ hours. Personally, mercifully arriving before the heavens opened at 2340, I had 5 excellent hours' sleep from midnight till 5am, and was in Edinburgh for a 9am breakfast (includes getting lost on the cycle path on the way in before Loanhead).
In 2021 riding via Malton will add minimal distance - Google Walking suggests 317km from Hessle to Moffat, essentially picking up the 2017 route from Slingsby (just N of Castle Howard). Though the mandatory route may add a few extra miles.

« Reply #164 on: 09 May, 2019, 12:26:34 pm »
What's the issue with sleeping at Moffat and riding to Dunfermline in the morning/dawn?

Nothing, unless everyone else chooses the same plan!

I think you're right that the bulge shouldn't reach Moffat by Monday night, although with earlier start times (I can't find the comment now) it'll reach further than it did in 2017.

And people (especially me) will hopefully have learnt from 2017 that the way to not DNF is to not fuck about on the first half of the ride.

« Reply #165 on: 09 May, 2019, 12:28:31 pm »
What's the issue with sleeping at Moffat and riding to Dunfermline in the morning/dawn?

I think you're right that the bulge shouldn't reach Moffat by Monday night, although with earlier start times (I can't find the comment now) it'll reach further than it did in 2017.

And people (especially me) will hopefully have learnt from 2017 that the way to not DNF is to not fuck about on the first half of the ride.

Which would make the first night on the bike a lot more enjoyable for those who already chose not to faff on the first evening (it was a lonely ride towards the Humber bridge).

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #166 on: 09 May, 2019, 12:39:40 pm »
This is an area and roads I know well and ride a lot.

Ta, will need to remember this thread next time I need to head that way :-)

« Reply #167 on: 09 May, 2019, 01:20:16 pm »
See alwyn's OP "starting slots between 06:00 and 12:00 for people who want a 125 hour limit."
Majority will not have the speed to construct a plan to sleep stop at Moffat. You might think anyone who can complete a 600 at BR speed could but it doesn't seem to work like that. Of course wind might speed the bulge north, but then those with the speed in 'normal' conditions to make Moffat by midnight Monday will mostly flow on to Dunfermline before stopping.

« Reply #168 on: 09 May, 2019, 02:27:55 pm »
The elephant in the LEL room is Louth. Crossing the Humber Bridge in 2013 dictated the Market Rasen control, that allowed people to get to Pocklington, and that put massive pressure on Pocklington.

It has to be borne in mind that the original plan was more modest. Michele Braugher mentions that in her report.
The organization was absolutely superb.  For a ride that was originally supposed to be 700 riders and turned into 1100, it was amazing.
https://roadpixie.blogspot.com/2013/?fbclid=IwAR3W_XTbHMAmyQ41gvQqaofrQtmP_TEgcAGqmqODE0W-766aQGPlKERoM1s

That expansion came from the unrestricted nature of the initial entry, which left a lot of 'natural' participants out in the cold, and they needed to brought in. Opinion prior to entry had been 'these rides never sell out'. That 805 riders finished is a credit to all concerned.

810 finished in time in 2017, from a field of about 1400. That might point to a natural carrying capacity for the underlying structure, it might be due to worse weather, or it might be due to the addition of more distance, and more climbing, because of the diversion to Louth. There were comments about the difficulty of the Lincolnshire Wolds, and also that the hedges blocked any potential views, resulting in riding through an undulating green tunnel.

I can see the logic in extending the ride in order to get over 1500km, and have a more relaxed timetable. But that evolves from the decision to cross the Humber Bridge, then to include Louth in the route. I do wonder if the course is being forced too far from the obvious line. In other words 'Why Louth'.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #169 on: 09 May, 2019, 04:07:00 pm »
I can see the logic in extending the ride in order to get over 1500km, and have a more relaxed timetable. But that evolves from the decision to cross the Humber Bridge, then to include Louth in the route. I do wonder if the course is being forced too far from the obvious line. In other words 'Why Louth'.

Interesting point. I can't say that I was that enamoured with the Humber Bridge and certainly not with getting on and off it. I am sure that others will disagree, but I would have preferred a more westerly and direct route to South Yorkshire, as in the 2009 edition. However, I can understand the organisers' desire to make the route more interesting for overseas visitors too, and my comment should be taken as a personal preference rather than a criticism.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #170 on: 09 May, 2019, 04:30:21 pm »
I likewise preferred the more westerly route.  The Humber Bridge section didn't inspire me - quite the opposite.  People giving feedback from 2013 onwards and not having ridden earlier versions would have nothing to compare with.  I'm sure the orgs bear this in mind when reviewing, though.
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #171 on: 09 May, 2019, 04:39:05 pm »

Interesting point. I can't say that I was that enamoured with the Humber Bridge and certainly not with getting on and off it. I am sure that others will disagree, but I would have preferred a more westerly and direct route to South Yorkshire, as in the 2009 edition. However, I can understand the organisers' desire to make the route more interesting for overseas visitors too, and my comment should be taken as a personal preference rather than a criticism.
To help visualise the lines LEL 2017 took, here's a 'straight line' plot:
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29937122?beta=false
I thought the Lincolnshire Wolds added scenery x 4 (though 2 in the dark for me), as opposed to the lack of scenery if the route headed more directly for the Humber Bridge, or even less scenery if it headed on a "more westerly and direct route" to cross the Ouse at Goole, except for Drax, I suppose.
The Moffat control forces the route furthest from the 'obvious line', but that line traverses the Cheviots and I don't think we'll be routing along the A68 from Otterburn to Jedburgh.

« Reply #172 on: 09 May, 2019, 05:53:31 pm »
Michele Braugher mentions that in her report.
The organization was absolutely superb.  For a ride that was originally supposed to be 700 riders and turned into 1100, it was amazing.
https://roadpixie.blogspot.com/2013/08/
Made link more direct - a report well worth a read.

« Reply #173 on: 09 May, 2019, 06:11:47 pm »
I met Michele again in 2017. She organised a 1,000km ride in Wisconsin called the 'The Million Metres of Milk'. Wisconsin is famous for its dairies. So she's writing from an organiser's perspective.

There's some stuff online about the 2009 route. Mike Dayton did a piece on his blog.
Many of the lanes were unnamed, and that meant the roads were also unnamed on the cue sheet. Thus, a cue might read: "soon R Green Bank no sign" or "follow road on sharp L bend no sign." In those places it was critical to have your computer synched to the section of the course you were on.

Even many of the wider roads had a lane feel, especially on the southern end of the course, because there were rarely drainage ditches. Hedges and undergrowth were allowed to grow right up to the asphalt's edge.
http://ncrandonneur.blogspot.com/2009/08/roads-of-lel-2009.html

I recorded some feedback about the route in 2017. https://youtu.be/7tBo0eXK5LU

Given the need to secure controls, I can't see the route changing from the one announced.

I'd agree with Mike Dayton about the Southern Uplands, especially the bit about tailwinds.

The very best roads were the deserted stretches through the glacially carved grassy canyons of Scotland. The roads were no different than what we'd seen before but they transported us into a pastoral backdrop unlike anything I'd ever seen before. That leg of our route -- especially with a trailing wind -- was pure magic and by itself worth the price of admission.

« Reply #174 on: 09 May, 2019, 06:47:31 pm »
I did make a short film about the 2009 route, outlining why it changed.

https://youtu.be/QGxGk8ReQ6g