Author Topic: Possibly satirical letters to newspapers  (Read 4167 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Possibly satirical letters to newspapers
« on: 14 February, 2014, 06:50:55 pm »
There was one mentioned in another thread (which I can't find), and now this one:
http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/yoursay/letters/10996773.Cyclist_s_death__was_the_fault_of_all_cyclists_/?ref=twtrec

You don't have to click-through (it only encourages them):
(click to show/hide)

Is this a new craze? And is this one satire, or just a nutter?!?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Reg.T

• "You don't have to go fast; you just have to go."
Re: Possibly satirical letters to newspapers
« Reply #1 on: 14 February, 2014, 09:00:26 pm »
Doesn't strike me as satire....
Just turn me loose let me straddle my old saddle
Underneath the western skies

« Reply #2 on: 14 February, 2014, 09:13:22 pm »
It's mentioned in the 'I thought I hit a bus stop' thread.

As I said there, I don't think it's ironic or satirical. Certainly google suggests the author has form with anti-cyclist letters - "Prime Minister should ban cyclists" in December (I could only find a reply to this) - so perhaps he's merely a consistent troll.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #3 on: 15 February, 2014, 07:44:29 am »
Doesn't strike me as satire....
Me neither. But quite a few people have said it is (and I think the same applies to the one in jsabine's thread).
And when you reread them in that light, you do think "hmm, this is sooooo over the top, just maybe ... "

However, I do think that good satire has to be recognisable as such.
(As xkcd said, try posting a youtube comment so ludicrous that noone reading it thinks you're serious  - it's impossible!)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Reg.T

• "You don't have to go fast; you just have to go."
« Reply #4 on: 15 February, 2014, 08:15:54 am »
Well of course I cannot say definitively what the author intended, but if it is intended as satire then I think it fails as it is more likely to be read as sincere.

It seems to me that for some reason the writer is stressed by encountering cyclists on the road, and wants that stress removed. We could speculate endlessly about why that may be, but there seems little point.
Just turn me loose let me straddle my old saddle
Underneath the western skies

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #5 on: 15 February, 2014, 10:15:34 am »
What maddens me about these things is:

Why publish them?

(The 'satire' thing is a bit of a distraction - I felt it could be argued some of these things are sent in by misguided 'satirical' pro-cyclist authors, so ... well I don't know where that logic leads, I still think publishing them is a mistake! )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #6 on: 15 February, 2014, 10:45:58 am »
When I first saw this in the other thread, several days ago, I felt it was satire.  I still do.  It's not very good, unfortunately.  I haven't checked his other efforts; people say he "has form" but that form may just be similar outpourings of bad satire, I don't know.  It was things like "another cyclist riding irresponsibly" and "Someone has died because you all fail to follow the rules" both of which are derisably false, that made me think no sane person could have written this, unless it was intended as satire.  That said, I have no evidence as to the sanity or otherwise of the writer.

It is depressing but if it is satire, however ambiguous, it is an indication of how frustrated people have become with the legal system as it affects cyclists in this country.  The law exists but many lawyers and legal functionaries themselves have become completely dishonourable it seems to me.  I don't know how one goes about overhauling such an appalling system.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #7 on: 15 February, 2014, 11:20:43 am »
I read it as satirical too, though it lacks the humour that good satire needs. But I agree that it's symptomatic of the frustration with an adversarial legal system that has nothing to do with establishing truth, but instead prioritises the seductiveness of clever argument; the better (and likely thus more expensive) your advocate, the less important the truth is. In a society where almost every adult drives, and regards the 'right' to drive as inviolable and sacred, the system (and the money) is inevitably skewed against anyone who challenges it. No wonder people resort to satire; what else do we have?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #8 on: 15 February, 2014, 11:32:20 am »
Why publish them?

Try writing a letter to your local paper. There are few, so most get published and it is one of the most effective ways of getting your views out there in a paper. Not subject to the usual editorial controls.
It is simpler than it looks.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #9 on: 15 February, 2014, 11:34:59 am »
Rant:
(click to show/hide)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #10 on: 15 February, 2014, 11:35:30 am »
Why publish them?

Try writing a letter to your local paper. There are few, so most get published and it is one of the most effective ways of getting your views out there in a paper. Not subject to the usual editorial controls.
Why not?!?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #11 on: 15 February, 2014, 11:36:42 am »
Why not write to your local paper and ask.

« Reply #12 on: 15 February, 2014, 11:41:32 am »
matt, your rant reminds me that earlier in some thread or other I suggested it was time all this bollocks about road tax and red lights and so on should be regarded as a hate crime.

« Reply #13 on: 15 February, 2014, 11:45:38 am »
When I saw that a few days ago I could not understand why the Echo would want to print that, but when you read to horrible reply it just makes me thing that the mentally of some motorists must be so small and self centred little shits and not worth worring about, or is it that they jump on the hand cart as they can't think of anything to say by themselves.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #14 on: 15 February, 2014, 11:47:58 am »
I'll assume that means you don't know.

Or... could it be ... surely not ...

you have no opinion on the matter?!?  :o

;)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #15 on: 15 February, 2014, 12:01:27 pm »

;)

Do you even read your local paper?

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #16 on: 15 February, 2014, 12:03:58 pm »

;)

Do you even read your local paper?
As the papers being discussed are not my local paper, both of your questions seem pointless.

Got any non-question posts?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #17 on: 15 February, 2014, 12:16:17 pm »
You start a thread about letters in local papers, then have no interest in the responses.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #18 on: 15 February, 2014, 12:25:35 pm »
For those other than mattc that are reading this thread - an example of the lack of normal editorial control from our local paper. The paper is pro Tory and supports the local marginal tory MP. Letter two weeks ago "Local MP has ignored his constituents again". There are often letters against him, just as there are loopy loo UKIP style Colonel Blimp letters against Europe, Climate Change and so on.

As I said, I believe the letters pages are outside normal editorial controls, and this is fairly standard - I have lived in a lot of places and read a lot of local papers. (I appreciate mattc that you may not have)

In fact the letters pages of local papers have been used for political campaigning - I believe it was a part of the 1997 New Labour election campaign - letters from activists drip-feeding policy and ideas via a part of the paper that is outside normal editorial controls.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #19 on: 15 February, 2014, 03:19:55 pm »
Thank you.   :thumbsup:

(And a lot more helpful than silly rhetorical questions.)

For anyone to read/answer - This still leaves a question unanswered:
WHY are letters pages outside normal editorial controls?

A related point is that I shouldn't really need to worry about which bits of a paper are under certain controls. It seems like they print what they want - just as the nationals do. And the BBC do (Top Gear, stoopid current affairs presenters etc etc ... )

Of course there is no regulatory body with any concern for ethics, truth or the common good - covering letters or front page headlines  :facepalm:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #20 on: 15 February, 2014, 03:23:32 pm »
It seems like they print what they want

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

No, on the letters page they print what YOU want, outside of normal editorial control. As I said a long way up - I've made it bigger in case you missed it:

"There are few, so most get published and it is one of the most effective ways of getting your views out there in a paper."

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #21 on: 15 February, 2014, 03:32:52 pm »
Ah, the facepalm. Always a sign of intelligent grownup discussion!
(four at once too)

Okaaaaay. So: do you think there should be any editorial control? Because in my view that would have been helpful at the Echo in this case.

There are unmoderated internet sites for lunatics to post their bile on - IMO this stuff shouldn't be published where we are currently seeing it.

Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #22 on: 15 February, 2014, 03:34:35 pm »
Are you bonj in disguise  ???

spindrift

« Reply #23 on: 14 April, 2014, 03:38:10 pm »

Ruth

« Reply #24 on: 14 April, 2014, 03:51:20 pm »
Don't be unkind.  English is not this person's first language.