Author Topic: Recumbent tights  (Read 3412 times)

Recumbent tights
« on: 06 November, 2022, 02:50:10 pm »
Riding back from the tip last weekend I thought that there was a sewing mistake in my bike seat, but it turns out it was my rear belt loop digging into me.
So I am looking at some bike specific longs for the trike.  Figure tights makes sense as they will also prevent bees from flying up my trousers.  Ideally I would like something less expensive and obviously have no need for padding.
Probably a pair for cold and a pair for sunny weather.  Looking for sized tall and emaciated.
Any recommendations?
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Re: Recumbent tights
« Reply #1 on: 06 November, 2022, 02:53:42 pm »
Ron Hill Tracksters. £15 on Amazon.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 06 November, 2022, 03:45:57 pm »
For winter I've got some Endura thing that has no doubt been discontinued.  Tight, unpadded, nice warm roubaix type fabric.  They work well (and were one of the few options that could accommodate a significantly larger arse than I currently have, without an excess 6" of leg length), but the ankle zips are contraindicated for MT91 boots.

I've also got some Tracksters, which are looser and lighter, but I mostly use those on the upwrongs (often in combination with the afore-mentioned boots[1]).  I'm not sure how recumbent-friendly the waistband is, but the stirrups should keep the legs in the right place.

Altura Winter Cruisers deserve mention as a warmer alternative to Tracksters which definitely don't have a recumbent-friendly waistband.

[1] I've got SPDs on the upwrongs and ATACs/Looks on the the recumbents, because reasons.  Which means that the choice of bike dictates footwear and therefore (when the boots are involved) legwear.

« Reply #3 on: 06 November, 2022, 03:49:46 pm »
Someone asked me if I was in the Forces at a recent ALC meeting, due to surprise at my wearing Ronhill's. You can blame my PE teacher I replied.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Arellcat

• Velonautte
« Reply #4 on: 06 November, 2022, 10:56:15 pm »
For winter I've got some Endura thing that has no doubt been discontinued.  Tight, unpadded, nice warm roubaix type fabric.  They work well (and were one of the few options that could accommodate a significantly larger arse than I currently have, without an excess 6" of leg length), but the ankle zips are contraindicated for MT91 boots.

Endura Thermolite tights?  I have a pair of those for wintertime, although for the last few years I've felt the cold rather more, and I found a pair of fleecey socks in Lidl that are ideal under-tights insulation for the fronts of my thighs.  Thermolite tights, or something Enduraesque and more recent, seem to crop up on eBay from time to time, but the last time I checked, Endura isn't making them anymore.

My Endura Multi Tights are a looser fit, and even looser now that the elastic is going.  They've been extremely well used and are now, naturally, "almost unhaveable" as Fran Blanche would put it.

I like the ideal of Ronhill, but my first cycling tights had stirrups, which ended up hurting my feet because they pulled too hard on my arches, because the tights weren't really long enough.
Quote from: Morningsider
I like that you think any of your conveyances might qualify as "a disguise".

« Reply #5 on: 06 November, 2022, 11:14:26 pm »
Ronhills are good but they do tend to have very long leg lengths at least for the girths I am interested in. (It's a pie thing).
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: 06 November, 2022, 11:42:40 pm »
Why not try something more colourful. https://kapowmeggings.co.uk/

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #7 on: 07 November, 2022, 07:24:53 am »
Another vote for Tracksters. Been wearing them for over 30 years, never able to track down a pair of Bikesters.  I actually wear them until there are holes in the bum ( caused by Brooks type leather saddle) then I attempt to sew them up, and wear them some more.

One TOP TIP, replace the draw cord with stout round elastic , and use those spring loaded toggles. :thumbsup:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #8 on: 07 November, 2022, 09:52:36 am »
I like the ideal of Ronhill, but my first cycling tights had stirrups, which ended up hurting my feet because they pulled too hard on my arches, because the tights weren't really long enough.
Funny, I didn't realize you had a Bristol accent...  :D

Ronhills are good, multipurpose – I use mine for cycling, running, bikepacking stuff, etc – and you can easily cut the stirrups off. I was worried they would fray, but I've done this with both my bikesters and tracksters, and all good so far. They're not warm though so might not be much good in winter, depending on personal thermostat etc
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #9 on: 07 November, 2022, 10:36:19 am »
Another Ron Hill wearer  :thumbsup:

« Reply #10 on: 07 November, 2022, 05:21:37 pm »
Any thoughts on sizing?  Ron Hills reckon that if your leg length is 33 you should be in large, but if your waist is 28/30 you should be in small.  How do they size?

« Reply #11 on: 05 April, 2023, 02:21:48 pm »
In the end went with dhb running tights.  As they are generally tight it was okay buying to leg length.  Helped I had a £10 voucher to burn.

« Reply #12 on: 05 April, 2023, 04:42:11 pm »
Very happy with the Ron Hill winter tights. Still wearing them as Spring temps haven’t manifested yet.