Author Topic: The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)  (Read 2959731 times)

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
Re: The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)
« Reply #21550 on: 08 May, 2019, 09:05:09 am »
Quote from: citoyen
Back to Safari it is...
This a Chrome thing?  If so thanks for the warning.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #21551 on: 08 May, 2019, 09:52:25 am »
Quote from: citoyen
Back to Safari it is...
This a Chrome thing?  If so thanks for the warning.

I just managed to "Save Image As...." jpeg on Chrome. In fact jpeg was the default selection. Perhaps it's related to the database being used?
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #21552 on: 08 May, 2019, 10:43:50 am »
I just managed to "Save Image As...." jpeg on Chrome. In fact jpeg was the default selection. Perhaps it's related to the database being used?

It could be. I'm not sure. Safari let me download the images as jpegs (using the same url).

Lurker - yes, I was using Chrome. webp is a Google proprietary format. It's been around a few years, apparently, but I've never come across it before.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

« Reply #21553 on: 13 May, 2019, 01:39:36 pm »
Yesterday, as I'm not travelling so much these days, I thought I'd plant some veg for the summer. Some tomatoes, broad beans, peas, and courgettes. Trip to garden centre to stock up. The one thing I forgot was mesh (or rather I assumed we had some) to cover the beds because cats.

So I covered the beds with a latticework of canes that I figured would discourage feline toilet behaviour.

Well, that didn't work, did it you furry fucking shit machine?

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #21554 on: 13 May, 2019, 03:20:25 pm »
Yesterday, as I'm not travelling so much these days, I thought I'd plant some veg for the summer. Some tomatoes, broad beans, peas, and courgettes. Trip to garden centre to stock up. The one thing I forgot was mesh (or rather I assumed we had some) to cover the beds because cats.

So I covered the beds with a latticework of canes that I figured would discourage feline toilet behaviour.

Well, that didn't work, did it you furry fucking shit machine?
I can loan you our 14 month-old black lab/collie.  He's already had a pigeon and 2 rabbits.  Can't see a cat putting him off.  The second rabbit was ultra-quick.  Grab - clamp down with jaws.  Job done.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #21555 on: 13 May, 2019, 03:27:28 pm »
I once spread mint imperials over my freshly dug rose beds. It worked with the cat poo problem, but looked very weird.
It is simpler than it looks.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #21556 on: 13 May, 2019, 03:57:59 pm »
Thyme repels dogs. Might work with the lesser species cats.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ian

« Reply #21557 on: 13 May, 2019, 04:56:37 pm »
Covered it with aluminium foil for now till I get around to getting some mesh. She hates foil. I may mummify her in it.

Given an entire large garden, not to mention the neighbours, her usual preferred toilet is, of course, directly outside the kitchen window.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #21558 on: 13 May, 2019, 09:15:41 pm »
<has mental image of ian's cat tippy toeing over the lattice and squatting very precariously>  ;D
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #21559 on: 14 May, 2019, 08:32:19 am »
<has mental image of ian's cat tippy toeing over the lattice and squatting very precariously>  ;D
ninja crapping skills are at the top of most cats CVs.  :o
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #21560 on: 14 May, 2019, 08:53:40 am »
Bloody Tesco.  I went shopping (evening, about 8.30pm), paid by credit card at the self-serve counter. When I then go to get fuel for the car, I realise that I've almost certainly left my credit card in the machine at the self-serve till. So, back to the shop where I'm told that I need to go to customer services, which doesn't open again until 8am. Now, I'd be fine with being told that they definitely had the card, but that there's some paperwork to get before I can have it, which needs to be at 8am, but they won't even tell me that they've definitely got it. And then they don't seem to understand why I'm not that keen on just waiting until the next day to find out if they do indeed have it. You know, because if they don't and I've failed to cancel it then the bank isn't going cancel any (probably contactless) charges made on it if I knew I didn't have it.  :facepalm:

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #21561 on: 14 May, 2019, 12:52:01 pm »
You have my sympathy! I KNOW I can't juggle cards, goods and packing if I'm in a queue.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #21562 on: 14 May, 2019, 04:37:51 pm »
Dear $company, please don't invite me in for interview for role X, then tell me, when I am in the interview room, that actually you are interviewing me for role Y, which is junior to X, pays a lot less and is of no interest to me.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #21563 on: 14 May, 2019, 07:07:04 pm »
You have my sympathy! I KNOW I can't juggle cards, goods and packing if I'm in a queue.

One advantage of the self-humiliation checkout is that since a single queueueue serves n tills, you aren't under the same psychological pressure to be quick.  Regular users have come to accept that anyone - now matter how smooth they try to make the process - can be randomly blocked by the till requiring attention from a supervisor, anyway.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #21564 on: 14 May, 2019, 07:35:26 pm »
Dear $company, please don't invite me in for interview for role X, then tell me, when I am in the interview room, that actually you are interviewing me for role Y, which is junior to X, pays a lot less and is of no interest to me.

That happened to me ZZZ years ago, I think they understood my unbrage during the interview.  I didn't take a job there
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

citoyen

« Reply #21565 on: 15 May, 2019, 09:24:26 am »

I had a similar kind of situation last year. Went for a fairly senior job, came within a whisker of being offered it but it went to someone with more relevant experience, then they invited me back to interview for a different position - a lot more junior, one for which I'm vastly overqualified, but might have been an interesting job none the less except for the money they were offering making it a lot less interesting. They more or less told me the job was mine at the interview, and I got an email confirming the offer a few days later, but in the meantime I'd also been offered a different job and took that instead.

Despite the pleasure of being in a position to turn down a job offer, I do worry about the risk of burning my bridges - it's a company I might want to work for in the future. Although I'd like to think that it gives me an air of exclusivity and added kudos to the company that gets to hire me. Bizarrely, the world I work in being incestuously small, my current boss is the other half of someone I would have been working with at that company (who I have also worked with before).

ian

« Reply #21566 on: 15 May, 2019, 09:38:54 am »
My first ever job in publishing was as a very junior sub-editor. I seem to recall that advertised as a very low salary and then in the interview they ummed and ahhed and offered me something even lower as I had 'no experience' (which ought really to have been clear from my CV). I took it for experience's sake. Thought after a month, I came to the conclusion that it wasn't enough to live off, there's was no way to even pay the rent on a small room in a shared flat and actually do exciting things like eat, not unless you had alternative funds. From experience, it was a pretty common 'scam' because they knew people would take it for experience and get their foot in the door. I like to think it's changed over subsequent decades, but I doubt it.

citoyen

« Reply #21567 on: 15 May, 2019, 10:47:54 am »
I like to think it's changed over subsequent decades, but I doubt it.

Oh, it's changed all right - the situation has got a lot worse. Salaries have been pretty much stagnant for at least 10 years, and in fact have decreased for many people. I blame the internet.

Note to any young bucks considering a glamorous career in magazine publishing: don't. Unless daddy has set up a trust fund for you.

ian

« Reply #21568 on: 15 May, 2019, 11:05:31 am »
Ah, I can't say I'm surprised, pretty much every job I applied for back then did the same thing and made it sound like they were doing you a favour by letting you work for them (and the guys I did a month for had the bad grace to look miffed when I said I was leaving, though not miffed enough to offer me any more money). I once did an entire week of 'trial' work for a book publisher who then decided they didn't need me, but really did fancy using the work I'd done. Eventually, because I kicked up a stink they paid me a paltry sum. I learned later it was common practice.

Anyway, then I did academic publishing which wasn't a lot better paid but you could probably afford to actually eat on the salary. Thusly was the world deprived of my litigationous headlining and captioning skills.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #21569 on: 15 May, 2019, 01:49:06 pm »
Come on people: raise the rant content or move over to the grumble thread. Some of us (me, anyway) come here specifically for the fruit.

Mangoes!
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #21570 on: 18 May, 2019, 02:18:07 am »
I wish people wouldn't try to write things for publication, even obscure, boring and inconsequential publication to a strictly limited audience, if they haven't mastered full stops and capital letters. That might mean I'd get to bed earlier.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

essexian

« Reply #21571 on: 20 May, 2019, 02:33:47 pm »
Door to Door salespersons.

Firstly, our street has a number of signs on lamposts warning that Door to Door salespersons aren't welcome so please don't bother knocking.  If you do, then please don't expect to get a sale: we don't buy from the door.

And secondly, when my wife says no, believe me no it is. So don't make me hobble on my bad leg to throw you off my property as it hurt me. And yes, I use a term starting with W to describe you and yes, I am more than happy to physically remove you if required.

You made the correct choice of leaving otherwise things would have turned nasty. Finally, the "free Government money" you described does not exist: I checked. Thus, you are a con merchant. 

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #21572 on: 25 May, 2019, 06:18:14 pm »
Come on people: raise the rant content or move over to the grumble thread. Some of us (me, anyway) come here specifically for the fruit.

Mangoes!
Smokers. Every single stinking fetid selfish mother fucking selfish pus infested stinking selfish one of then.   DIE.  Do it now.

You're welcome.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

ian

« Reply #21573 on: 28 May, 2019, 09:29:34 am »
Reminds me, I was sitting in a business meeting the other week and everyone around me sparked up. I had to check I'd not stumbled into a time machine and popped out somewhere in the past.

« Reply #21574 on: 28 May, 2019, 10:40:05 am »
Isn't it ironic that it is now the outside areas of Pubs that are most foetid?