Author Topic: "Momma" rides---Sept 1 2018---Important updates  (Read 2204 times)

slohill

• still at it
"Momma" rides---Sept 1 2018---Important updates
« on: 30 August, 2018, 03:37:55 pm »
Riders---please note the following:
"Pistyll Packing Momma"  200k and "Momma's Mountain Views" 130k.  There is now an info control at Harthill 9k, to keep everyone on the straight and narrow.
The Cross Keys pub at Llanfynydd (175k on 200k; 103k on 130 k) is shut due to an electrical fire.  There is now an info control close by instead.  You may wish to stock up with food at Llanarmon as there is no other facility in Llanfynydd.
"Momma's Leafy Lanes"---The route between Bunbury and Tilston has been completely changed as the A534 near the Bickerton Poacher is shut due to a massive diesel spill from an overturned lorry.  The corrected route sheet is now on the calendar page---and spares are to be available at Old Ma's cafe on Saturday.  Good news is that the ride is now 3km shorter and probably a better route.
See you on Saturday for a great day out   :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Organiser of  Tour of the Berwyns 200k and Panorama Prospect 130k; Saturday May 20 2023

whosatthewheel

Re: "Momma" rides---Sept 1 2018---Important updates
« Reply #1 on: 30 August, 2018, 03:45:55 pm »
Did you send any email about it?

Or in other words... am I on the e-mailing list?

slohill

• still at it
« Reply #2 on: 30 August, 2018, 03:48:39 pm »
No---the info is here and will be at Old Ma's on Saturday.
Leafy Lanes info has been sent to the C&NW CTC website also---hopefully going up this evening.
Organiser of  Tour of the Berwyns 200k and Panorama Prospect 130k; Saturday May 20 2023

whosatthewheel

« Reply #3 on: 30 August, 2018, 03:52:57 pm »
Other question

for the 130 km

The GPX track is only 129.60 Km, but the route sheet is 137 Km... does it mean the GPX is incorrect?

slohill

• still at it
« Reply #4 on: 30 August, 2018, 04:06:26 pm »
The GPX must be short cutting somewhere.  Quite sure that 137k is correct.
The route sheet is definitive as far as I am concerned.
As a further bit of info, the climbing points for this route have been re-assessed by AUK and are to be 1.75AA in future---but only after this event which is still 2AAA.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #5 on: 30 August, 2018, 04:11:49 pm »
The GPX must be short cutting somewhere.  Quite sure that 137k is correct.
The route sheet is definitive as far as I am concerned.
As a further bit of info, the climbing points for this route have been re-assessed by AUK and are to be 1.75AA in future---but only after this event which is still 2AAA.

I had a look and the bit that must be different is between Chirk and Ponderosa... that's where 5 km are lost and crucially where the infos are... I guess I'll have to re-build a GPX file from scratch, based on the route sheet.

You might want to let entrants know, I don't see many following route sheets these days

whosatthewheel

« Reply #6 on: 30 August, 2018, 04:55:35 pm »
OK,

I've had a good look at things...
I actually think the GPX file is correct and the distance is about 130 km, with the caveat that it starts/finishes from Tattenhall, rather than the cafe', so about 1-2 km difference to the references, not a big deal.
The pub is correctly at 93 km, as you say, but if you look at the route sheet, it says it is at 103 km... so I suspect it is the route sheet which is incorrect.

I guess we'll find out on Saturday...  ;D

slohill

• still at it
« Reply #7 on: 31 August, 2018, 09:20:12 am »
Sorry---my mistake---now corrected.
Pub is at 103km.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #8 on: 31 August, 2018, 11:34:06 am »
Sorry---my mistake---now corrected.
Pub is at 103km.

Then I don't understand where the GPX is wrong, the 7 km difference is significant, but I can't point at any discrepancy between the route sheet and the file. Either way, I will follow the GPX and if I miss some info as a result, I will then have to live with the ride not being validated, which I am OK with... ultimately I am there for the Mountain views...  ;D ;D

whosatthewheel

« Reply #9 on: 01 September, 2018, 05:06:51 pm »
Thanks Dave for an excellent day on the bike and three very hard climbs!
Predictably, the GPS and the route sheet did not match (7-8 km difference), therefore I missed the info after Chirk... it was actually quite liberating, 'cause afterwards I didn't bother with any of the info and only stopped at one control.

As an aside, I think having a control at 79 km on top of the Horseshoe pass and then another one at 93 km at the bottom doesn't work... it took me less than half an hour to cover the distance.

I don't think the GPX track goes by the farm with the second info.. I checked the electric posts of all the farms and I couldn't see any white disc... but hey ho, maybe it's me being blind

https://www.strava.com/activities/1812139352

« Reply #10 on: 03 September, 2018, 01:37:05 pm »
What a great ride with stunning views

I did the 200k those waterfalls certainly worth a visit.

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #11 on: 03 September, 2018, 07:13:52 pm »
Pistyll Packing Momma is one of my favourite rides, I think I've done two calendars and a permanent. I find the part after Bala deceptively tough especially when it's well over half way. I don't think I've done the ride in under 13 hours!
Must get finger out and do again.