Author Topic: Olympus Mujiflip...  (Read 1845 times)

Treewheeler

Olympus Mujiflip...
« on: 22 August, 2008, 05:48:49 pm »
Whatever it is.
Resistant to water, shock and dirt.
Is it a good option for taking traveling or just a gimmic.
Not an enthusiastic photographer but would like to record something of my travels.
 Wish it took normal batteries though.
Got any suggestions, ideas what for to buy on a 'budget'?
 Thanks

Re: Olympus Mujiflip...
« Reply #1 on: 22 August, 2008, 05:51:00 pm »
do you mean the mju 850? I've got an earlier version of the same thing and it's absolutely *fantastic*

everything proof - mines been snorkeling, through mud, sweat, blood, dropping, standing & sitting on, throwing across a room [catching FAIL] and it still works beautifully.  The back screen is a bit scratched but apart from that, it's been indestructible.

The photos are reasonably good too.

Treewheeler

« Reply #2 on: 22 August, 2008, 09:01:22 pm »
Yup, thats the one.
 I have wasted too much money in the past on cameras for holidays snaps that fail after the warranty.
I was hoping that this may be more robust long term.
 I was in the Sahara in January for a few days and 3 of our party had camera issues due to the dust.
 No outside moving parts here I see...

« Reply #3 on: 22 August, 2008, 09:31:26 pm »
the little lens protector flap slides in and out when you turn it on, but that's it. 

The instructions say to wash it roughly under the tap for a bit when you've been on the beach, which goes against every pore in my body but works well to get all the sand out from under the flap.  So to speak.

Treewheeler

« Reply #4 on: 22 August, 2008, 09:36:57 pm »
I have just read somewhere...
 A concern over the need to open to recharge and possible long term wear on the seal...
 Well...?

« Reply #5 on: 23 August, 2008, 06:42:03 pm »
no problems so far, but it's only six months old.

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #6 on: 03 September, 2008, 08:34:24 pm »
Been abusing mine (MJU825) for about 18 months now and it's been great. It has spent a lot of time soaked in salt water when kayaking, it's been in my pocket whilst surfing, it's been dropped onto concrete from about six feet a couple of times, burried in sand and spent a lot of time rattling about in a handlebar bag and it still works, so it lives up to its go anywhere claim.

The seals are fine after all this time, and they do not show any signs of wear. If you're not planning on submerging it, then the seals will probably last for ever.

If the camera has been in salt water or is dirty, I make a point of rinsing the camera in fresh water and drying it before opening the flaps.

Picture quality is very good in bright light, but it does struggle a bit in dull conditions, but I think that this is true of any small digicam. Battery life if reasonable, but as it does not use standard batteries you need to have access to 110/240V if it runs out when on tour.

My only other gripe is that  it has no optical viewfinder and the LCD screen is not too good in bright sunlight.